SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-29-10, 02:07 PM   #796
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye View Post
i see. so, if i would've bought copies from one of those $1000 per microfilm outfits and made those available, that would have been ok?

i guess i have to take offense now. all i want is to help and i end up being lectured about morals and what is fair. thank you very much.

Walleye, you were not 'lectured' by me. Even your comment above shows that at the time of your offer, you did not know for sure that this stuff was public domain.
All I did was sent a PM because I did not want to see you get banned for trying to help, which is exactly what you say above:"all i want is to help". Well, that is exactly what I was trying to do is "help". I even commented
Quote:
"Your offer is greatly appreciated !! But I don't want to see you get banned for trying to help."
I did not say you did anything immoral, only that it was a purchased item and we did not know if it was public domain or not. Using YOUR comment, just because it is posted all over the net does not make it public domain.

In this case it was public domain, so no harm done. But at the time of the PM neither you nor I knew for sure. And I read the "legal" case you presented and it is about photographing another photograph and has nothing to do legally with the items in question.

I apologize if you took it personally.

I used the same words you use above, "I was only trying to help", but be sure it will not happen again.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-10, 03:45 PM   #797
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 152
Uploads: 0

I know you guys probably know every corner of the internet, but I'm still easy to surprise... so forgive me linking to old news!

This is something I came across yesterday: REPORTS OF THE U.S. NAVAL TECHNICAL MISSION TO JAPAN

Right now I'm chewing my way through a document of Sonar & Asdic equipment...
and suddenly a lot of close encounters in TMO makes sense!
Jan Kyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-10, 11:55 AM   #798
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18
Default Stolen models from our Japanese Campaign mod

Miner1436 stumbled across a site :

http://7cu93.blog56.fc2.com/blog-entry-170.html

advertising work on a Sen Toku for SHIII..

Well, most of that work is mine

it is part of the Jyunsen B mod for SHIV and of the japanese campaign mod "Climb Mount Niitaka"

the snorkel seen here above and the deck gun and the Type 22 radar and the modified Sen Toku (stock originally) are my work..

I mind people taking my stuff without asking.

if anyone know of this mod please pm me or Neal Stevens.

we have been hard at work for three years now and I don't like to see my original work stolen, there I said it.

He passes the work as his own !!!

regards

keltos

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-10, 02:09 AM   #799
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater View Post

There is the armed version (you can see the gunner at the bow).

I need sergei to help me with getting the skin mapped better I think... then I I can make them look better. Also, I think the splinter shield need more, but smaller windows, and needs perhaps to be smaller period. Close enough, though! (thanks to miner for the great model!)
Thanks to Tater we might also see that in our mod though we won't be able too shoot at it !

keltos

Old 08-09-10, 06:55 PM   #800
Captain_AJ
Crusty

Downloads: 324
Default I have been Watching yout post

Hello Mr keltos.

I have been keeping an eye on your post , I feel sadend that people dont apreciate the work that all of the modders do .. > I will continue to anticipate the arival of the "Climb Mt Nikita " Mod .. I am am old man now and flying sims are not very easy . I rather find pleasure in saling a sub .. Thank you for your hard effort , I ma truley a fan

Kiyoshi Kimura

私はあなたの記事に目を維持している、私は、人々は、すべての改造マニアの操作を行います仕事 を.. いけない感じる>私はを予測していきます"クライム山ニキータ"モッズ..私は歳の男性今午前飛んでシムズは非常に簡単ではありませんしています。私はむしろサブ..セイに喜びを見 いだすハード努力していただきありがとうございます、私はファンマ

Captain_AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-10, 01:07 AM   #801
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimuraijn View Post
Hello Mr keltos.

I have been keeping an eye on your post , I feel sadend that people dont apreciate the work that all of the modders do .. > I will continue to anticipate the arival of the "Climb Mt Nikita " Mod .. I am am old man now and flying sims are not very easy . I rather find pleasure in saling a sub .. Thank you for your hard effort , I ma truley a fan

Kiyoshi Kimura

私はあなたの記事に目を維持している、私は、人々は、すべての改造マニアの操作を行います仕事 を.. いけない感じる>私はを予測していきます"クライム山ニキータ"モッズ..私は歳の男性今午前飛んでシムズは非常に簡単ではありませんしています。私はむしろサブ..セイに喜びを見 いだすハード努力していただきありがとうございます、私はファンマ
有難うございます。

Did you, to keep you waiting a bit, try the Jyunsen B mod ? we are still on course don't worry, stay tuned for news .

regards,

keltos

Old 08-16-10, 06:43 AM   #802
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Default Japanese Monograph thanks to Jan Kyster's donation to our mod

p. 21.

p. 22.

monograph 108 :

p. 2.

WOW ! just rifling through the first monograph and there is already new information ! the IJN subs did sink more ships than was thought on the west coast : 10 tankers and ships in early 1942 following Pearl Harbor.

So nice to be able to read those monographs, although sometimes I'd love more intel, it's already pretty good, and some of it is written by hand ! clearly the early work on those reports !

Thanks a lot Jan !

keltos

Last edited by keltos01; 08-16-10 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-16-10, 08:45 AM   #803
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

If this is a direct translation of japanese documents, the sinkings are likely exaggerated—grossly.

Note the page 108 reference to a successful attack on a Lexington Class CV. I have read other references to that, and they claimed sinking her. Dunno how many times the IJN claimed sinking those 2 CVs over the war, but suffice to say it was considerably in excess of their actual number

It certainly tells you where they might have BEEN, however.

One things seems clear to me, for whatever reason, japanese reports of their own success in both sea and air engagements needs to be taken with a lot of salt. This comes up in air ops as well, since detailed studies during limited time frames where data exists show that air to air claims for the IJNAF/IJAAF are often off by 6 times the real number (USN pilots only overclaimed by a factor of 1-2). No wonder they had "victory disease" they were systematically being fed bad intel.
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-10, 02:25 PM   #804
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

http://cgi2.nhk.or.jp/shogenarchives/jpnews/list.cgi

!!!

clink on the links to the left (in japanese, even translated) and the years open. This is japanese newsreel footage!
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-10, 06:06 AM   #805
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Default Sen Taka Fast Attack Sub

Sen Taka Fast Attack Sub

With 19 knots underwater she was the fastest boat of WWII !

and she's ready to sail

keltos

Old 08-17-10, 01:13 PM   #806
Alfamemnon
Watch

Downloads: 15

If I may suggest something, to make the mod more realistic, could you implement storms of Saffir-Simpson scale strength during certain seasons? When player is about to run into them, he would forehand receive a typhoon warning via radio.

Further suggestion: Whenever there is a particularly fierce storm, the player would run a risk of casualties to bridge watch crews if he was surfaced and had bridge watches. This is why the game would treat powerful storms like they were enemy units: the time acceleration would be set to normal or at least greatly reduced whenever there was a huge storm starting or in sight so the player could submerge if he thought that is the wisest thing to do. The positive thing about these weather conditions would be that danger of efficient activity from enemy destroyers or hostile aircraft would be greatly reduced (I heard a typhoon once sank many U.S. destroyers during WW2).
Alfamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-10, 01:29 PM   #807
keltos01
Silent Hunter

just the one :

USS Monaghan (DD-354) foundered during a typhoon in the Philippine Sea, 18 December 1944.

and :

USS Warrington (DD-383) foundered in a hurricane north of the Bahamas Islands,
13 September 1944.

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq82-1.htm

but I don't know if that can be implemented ingame

keltos

Old 08-18-10, 09:47 AM   #808
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Default yet another peashooter for the campaign !

IJN Type 92 7.7 mm AA gun

On board of a kaichu Submarine

Gun view

Loadout view

Both the Type 92 13.2 mm and the Type 92 7.7 mm guns can be seen on this picture of the Jyunsen B sub.

same on the Type A1 submarine

model :Miner1436
textures and ingame implementation : Keltos

Last edited by keltos01; 08-18-10 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-18-10, 01:31 PM   #809
sergei
Sea Lord

Downloads: 405
Uploads: 29

Very nice work Keltos.
sergei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-10, 02:43 AM   #810
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

it makes me happy that you haven't done away with my deck textures

I still have to come back and reskin a few of these don't I.

Good to see work still moving forward!
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote