SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-02-23, 02:04 PM   #1
Tigerzhunters
Frogman

Downloads: 96
Uploads: 0

Icon5 How to use aobf or raobf?

So im try to use 87% Realism So im try to use aobf/raobf in Silent hunter 3 Magui MOD because im still confuse And i have question how we can know enemy speed?

Tigerzhunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-23, 02:58 PM   #2
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 843

Old 03-02-23, 08:46 PM   #3
Tigerzhunters
Frogman

thx but i still doesnt know how to setting the torpedo gyro because im shooting a salvo to large convoy like 2 from 4 torpedo only 2 hit and other was failure explode in the water
Old 03-04-23, 11:29 AM   #4
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Sounds like you did everything right. Torpedo failures were common.

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-23, 04:19 AM   #5
Hooston
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 15

errr... not sure about that video. One knot is 0.52m/s. Am I losing the plot?

What I do is:
Time how long it takes the target to traverse the reticule in the periscope.
Take the target length in metres and double it.
Divide that number by the time in seconds and you have knots (near enough).

Robert is your mother's brother. Even I can do that in my head to the nearest knot. And it's historically accurate!

Or you can use the more realistic U-Jagd stopwatch if you have that mod.

If your own boat is moving it will screw up the target speed calculation. Assuming you are travelling towards the target it will actually be going faster than calculated. Some folks have tables to correct the value, but if I'm going at around 2 knots I just add a knot.

If you fire at around zero gyro angle the range does not matter except in calculating time to impact. The TDC will not automatically update the range, so enter what you plan the range to be when you fire.

The difficult bit is the angle on bow... I'm usually perpendicular to the target course, so I know how many degrees I am from having the target straight ahead at 90 degrees AOB. i therefore enter 90 degrees less the number of degrees to go to straight ahead. There are various in game calculator disks to do the job, or you can measure from a plot on the map.

After entering the values, and with the TDC again locked to the periscope, the TDC will keep automatically updating the target relative bearing and AOB, and hence gyro angle, based on the periscope angle. in theory you can fire at any time, and can even "point and shoot" at other ships at the same speed and heading. Unlike the real TDC, the game TDC will not compensate for a change in uboat heading; so do not turn the boat after locking the TDC.

SH3 merchants have captains with cat-like reflexes and can accelerate and brake like F1 cars. So avoid using steam torpedoes in daylight if possible and if attacking several ships try to get all your eels to arrive at the same time.

Most importantly the trick is to get within 1km, but over 300m. That can be a bit suicidal with late war convoys.

Info about the real TDC here: http://tvre.org/en/handbook-of-the-u-boat-commander
Hooston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-23, 01:09 AM   #6
Tigerzhunters
Frogman

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston View Post
errr... not sure about that video. One knot is 0.52m/s. Am I losing the plot?

What I do is:
Time how long it takes the target to traverse the reticule in the periscope.
Take the target length in metres and double it.
Divide that number by the time in seconds and you have knots (near enough).

Robert is your mother's brother. Even I can do that in my head to the nearest knot. And it's historically accurate!

Or you can use the more realistic U-Jagd stopwatch if you have that mod.

If your own boat is moving it will screw up the target speed calculation. Assuming you are travelling towards the target it will actually be going faster than calculated. Some folks have tables to correct the value, but if I'm going at around 2 knots I just add a knot.

If you fire at around zero gyro angle the range does not matter except in calculating time to impact. The TDC will not automatically update the range, so enter what you plan the range to be when you fire.

The difficult bit is the angle on bow... I'm usually perpendicular to the target course, so I know how many degrees I am from having the target straight ahead at 90 degrees AOB. i therefore enter 90 degrees less the number of degrees to go to straight ahead. There are various in game calculator disks to do the job, or you can measure from a plot on the map.

After entering the values, and with the TDC again locked to the periscope, the TDC will keep automatically updating the target relative bearing and AOB, and hence gyro angle, based on the periscope angle. in theory you can fire at any time, and can even "point and shoot" at other ships at the same speed and heading. Unlike the real TDC, the game TDC will not compensate for a change in uboat heading; so do not turn the boat after locking the TDC.

SH3 merchants have captains with cat-like reflexes and can accelerate and brake like F1 cars. So avoid using steam torpedoes in daylight if possible and if attacking several ships try to get all your eels to arrive at the same time.

Most importantly the trick is to get within 1km, but over 300m. That can be a bit suicidal with late war convoys.

Info about the real TDC here: http://tvre.org/en/handbook-of-the-u-boat-commander
Yea Im more trust to wait 3 minute 15s And now im play with 100% realism with total 19000+ GRT in 1943 Broo im frustated by Enemy hedgehog And Enemy patrol aircraft if im patrol Close to gibaltar/Halifax/Irish coast always Meet b24/sunderland/Pby catalina

Old 07-09-23, 02:57 PM   #7
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerzhunters View Post
thx but i still doesnt know how to setting the torpedo gyro because im shooting a salvo to large convoy like 2 from 4 torpedo only 2 hit and other was failure explode in the water
Dont use salvo shots when you are learning how to use the TDC. When you fire multiple at the same time, you can't tell which of the 2 or 3 or 4 was going to the aim point. Especially in SH4 that has manual offset for the torpedo in the spread instead of a spread angle. Or perhaps the middle of the 3 would be centered in SH3. Maybe your difficulty settings or used mods plot your torpedo path on the map so you can tell what is going on. But if you fire just a single torpedo and it hits you can easily tell if your aim was off to the back (target moved faster , or AOB was closer to 90 than expected) or if it impacted front of the aim point (target moved slower or AOB was closer to 0/180 than expected).
Old 01-16-24, 04:59 AM   #8
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Hey everyone!

I have had this conversation for many years and folks seem to still have issue with this.

Whatever math you use, if it hits your target, go with that.

1.852 works for me, and it is very accurate.

That is not saying that your method isn't.

I read many books, on U-Boats and the Battle of the Atlantic, And I cannot remember which book I read at the time. I had surgery so during recovery I had a lot of time to read.

I found a method that the Kplt used and he use 1.852 in his solution. So I tried it, and it never failed me in both SH3 and 5!

Feel free to use it or not. Good hunting boys!

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-24, 07:02 AM   #9
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489

Here is the table from MDv 416T (firing regulations for U-boats), for this method. If you run the numbers it is 1.94. Why that is the case, Pisces and I lay out in previous posts. At the bottom is a rule of thumb to use 2 as that makes mental math easier.

1.852 will of course work at reasonable ranges because the difference is a matter of fractions of a knot. But simply multiplying by it is a misunderstanding of how to apply the 1852 m/nm conversion, and not based on what is actually happening. If taught, a concept should be taught correctly. Now that people know why it is 1.94, why not just use that? Or 2 like the historical rule of thumb?

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ

Last edited by derstosstrupp; 01-17-24 at 07:53 AM.
derstosstrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-23, 07:19 PM   #10
Chaussettes
Swabbie

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvar1061 View Post

I've watched bstanko's stuff before and they generally work as intended but I am also confused as to where the 1.852 number comes from. It seems to work with the RAOBF, but a knot is 0.52 meters, not 1.852. Where does the 1.852 number come from?
Chaussettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-23, 02:22 AM   #11
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 843

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaussettes View Post
I've watched bstanko's stuff before and they generally work as intended but I am also confused as to where the 1.852 number comes from. It seems to work with the RAOBF, but a knot is 0.52 meters, not 1.852. Where does the 1.852 number come from?
International Nautical Mile= 1.852 km
Old 07-09-23, 05:03 AM   #12
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489

There are 1852 m in a nautical mile. The speed calculation should be as follows (there is an error in the video in this regard):

Target length in m / seconds * 1.944

Why 1.944? It’s because you are measuring in seconds and you need nautical miles per hour. So, you need to multiply by 60 twice, 3600. We need to convert to nm, so we then need to divide by 1852. The effect of these adjustments is 3600/1852, or 1.944.

Written differently:

Target length in m / seconds * 3600 / 1852

Hope that clears things up.

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ
derstosstrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-23, 02:42 PM   #13
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaussettes View Post
A knot is '1 nautical mile per hour'. 1 nautical mile is defined as 1852 meters. A knot is 1852 meters per HOUR! And there are 3600 seconds in an hour. So indeed, 1 knot is 1852 meters per 3600 seconds. Or 0.5144 meters per second. So it takes 194.4 seconds for a 1 knot target to move 100m units on the map. (that is where the 3m15s approximation comes from) Or the factor 1.944 (=3600/1852) to convert between meters per second to knots. What got into Bstanko to think it that it should be 1.852 is anyone's guess. He's taking an inappropriate shortcut in his reasoning it seems. Stosstrupp and I have done our utmost best to convince him in the comments of that video.