SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Special Projects > Subsim Events & Activities > Eternal Patrol
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-08-09, 08:04 PM   #226
patti
VIP

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Patti

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetrue View Post
I am qualified to answer that question mam: Two years 63-65 USS Salmon SS 573 and USS Ethan Allen SSBN 608 blue crew three patrols 66-70 and USS Sam Houston SSBN 609 blue crew 70-71

We ate a lot of good food, watched all of the Mission Impossiable, Star Trek and Clint East Wood series.

Told sea stories, played cards, acey duecy, cribbage, hearts, ate pop corn, read books, shaved, washed clothes, slept and once in awhile we would play Navy which was very dangerous sometimes.

Your father died a good man always remember that at he moment of death that's who you are forever ...
You also grew great beards because I remember as a little kid when Dad came back from sea he always had a beard. That was fun for us girls.More importantly you did protect us from any dangers and for that I am always grateful to all of you that serve this great country
patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-09, 08:08 PM   #227
patti
VIP

Default Patti

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wertz View Post
Our condolances go out to Joan, Margaret and to their four daughters, as well as his many, many friends.

Cap'n Zeb was truly an Officer and a Gentleman, of the highest order. It's because of heroes like him and all of our servicemen/women, that we're able to enjoy the liberty and freedoms that we possess today, which he was so proud of in his service.

If you'll indulge me.... we 1st had the honor, privalege and pleasure to meet Zeb when one of his Navy League colleagues and a mutual friend, Brian Klock, introduced my brother and I to him, to assist in raising money for the crew's activities during the week of the commissioning of the USS Texas, down in Galveston(back inthe Fall of 2006).

As the story goes, during some of the rather contentious meetings on a few occasions, Brian was trying to sell the committee on a bunch of us O&G folks putting on a play for the Captains' reception(the night before the commissioning) to raise that money. Amateurs that we all were but seasoned at having raised over $1 million for charaties in the local Houston area, it was suggested to the committee that we combine with the crew and weave several scenes from "The Best Little Whorehouse"(renamed "The Chicken Ranch"), "Chicago", "Road to Key West" and of course, "South Pacific" into our presentation. Brian conveyed to me that, as you can imagine, the traditional Navy committee members were squirming about the whole "play" affair, not to mention anything referring to the Chicken Ranch(i.e.Tailhook redux), because First Lady Laura Bush and practically every Admiral in the Navy was going to be there.

Finally, after listening to input from everyone on the committee, all eyes turned to Cap'n Zeb, and with his cheshire cat grin and folksy laugh, piped in "What's wrong w/the Chicken Ranch? There's probably nothing more represenative of the Navy". Obviously, that drew a huge laugh and from that point on, the play was on.
Word was that he, the Texas crew and many of the cast members shut down several of the Galveston establishments during that week.

Fittingly, he had a spot playing Admiral Nimitz during the play, when he conveyed to the audience, as has been noted previously, that "Submarines were now the Capital ships of the Navy". Truer words were never spoken.

Just over a year ago, he invited several of us, through Brian, to come down and tour the USS Cavalla. We were in awe that this great sailor and gentlemen was not only conveying history, he lived it on that very boat.

Fair winds, Blue skies and Calm Seas on your last patrol, from your friends Rae Lynn and John Wertz.
What a great story, Dad had told me about that adventure but he left out some of your details -I wish I could have been there to see that.
Old 08-08-09, 08:32 PM   #228
bsnowell
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
Default Gitmo friends

My family(step-dad is Lt Cmdr John Shearin) met the Alfords in Gitmo in 1971. My sister, Lisa Smith, became "Baby Katie's" best friend. Because of that special relationship, we all became friends of Capt Alford and his sweet family. What a fun family- smart, witty, adventurous, and they totally loved and bonded with my Mississippi family. The Alfords treated Lisa as one of their's and included her on some fun Caribbean adventures. I still have her T-shirt and many pictures from one of them. Because Lisa and Katie couldn't bear to part at the end of the tours in Gitmo, the Alfords invited Lisa up to New Hampshire to live for the remainder of the school year. She loved every minute of it. We loved sharing her with them. Because my sweet Lisa died in a car wreck in 1976, while a freshman at the University of Southern Mississippi, Katie has become my angel, my confidant, my friend in Lisa's memory. Thank you Capt Alford for giving life to this special person. Thank you for your service to our country. I hope Lisa was waiting at the gate for you with a big smile, ready to begin heavenly adventures much like the ones you provided her with while she spent so little time on this earth. Thanks for the memories. God Bless your family!
Brenda Smith Nowell
bsnowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-09, 09:07 PM   #229
Baby Katie
VIP

Downloads: 2
Default Baby Katie

Oh I so am getting a heart full of love and memories and I feel like Dad is just wrapping his arms around his little baby Katie now and saying "Hey I will let your best friend in life, Lisa, know you are well"- It is a special bond to know where we will be in eternity with the Lord and I know Joan and Dad had that special love for the Lord together. He used to tell me all about their bible studies together.
Katie
Baby Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-09, 09:31 PM   #230
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 320
Uploads: 11

R.I.P Capt. You served your country well.
Old 08-09-09, 03:17 AM   #231
Laughing Swordfish
Seasoned Skipper

I never had the honour and privilege to meet Captain Zeb, but I am filled with admiration for a man and gentleman who actually did what most of us can only imagine but never dare. The number and depth of warmth of the tributes pay better testament to Zeb Alford than I can ever do, other than to say:
"I take my cap off to you Cap'n Zeb. You have made so many lives both safer and richer. So long, Skipper".

Raoul de Bunsen
Laughing Swordfish
Laughing Swordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-09, 04:12 AM   #232
Sea Demon
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 33

A great man. I thank him for his service to our country. And may the Lord God rest his soul.
Sea Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-09, 05:36 AM   #233
USS Sea Tiger
XO

Downloads: 52
Default fair winds and following Seas Capt. Zeb

Sad to hear the news. This gentleman llived through a revolutonary time in Submarine tech. What we out here just dream and read on, he was there, and developed.
Another library has burned down,..

fair winds and following seas Capt. Zeb
USS Sea Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-09, 08:39 AM   #234
patti
VIP

Default Patti

This goes out to Joan (my Dad's Wife)- I know you have a very heavy heart right now and I hope that all these posts are helping you to heal a little bit. They are very comforting to me to read all the great remarks about Dad and I know they will be to you too.

Joan you were with Dad for over 25 years and I want to thank you for that and for all the happiness you brought to Dad. I have fond memories of our sailing trip(your first trip on the seas-do you remember the award you got on award night? I love all the Thanksgiving trips you all made and we had a great time one Christmas at your home in Houston- we will be going over many memories in the next few weeks and I am sure at the memorial. Be strong and save all the good memories of Dad.

Patti
Old 08-09-09, 08:45 AM   #235
Gairith
Planesman

Downloads: 4

R.I.P

GWX 2.1 - SH3 Commander 3.2 - OLC Ubermod 2.4.2
-
DiD
Gairith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-09, 08:49 AM   #236
Mittelwaechter
The Old Man

Downloads: 35

We're all just travellers between eternities.

Fair winds and following seas Capt. Zeb!

10 happy wolves rear 90 blinded, ensnared sheep. 90 happy sheep banish the wolves.

Arrest the 1% - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ6hg1oNeGE
Mittelwaechter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-09, 09:08 AM   #237
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Neal,

don't be sad for too long that he is no more - be thankful that you knew this your friend at all.

Best wishes,
Sky

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 08-09-09 at 10:42 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-09, 11:19 AM   #238
Argus00
Sparky

Downloads: 24

R.I.P.

My prayers and best thoughts to his familly.
Old 08-09-09, 12:12 PM   #239
lane easley
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
thank you for your words Grandad.

Grandad Zeb, Thank you for all your contributions to your world, you lived a long and successful life. You held many positions of leadership and made many accomplishments in your life but most importantly and most personally you taught a great deal about the wondruous world i was born into and inherited from you and your grandparents. You have taught me about constellations in the night sky, you have taught me about the stories of men and women in war, in peace, in hardship, and in wealth. You have taught me about the flowing and ebbing tides of the great seas, the earth's rotation around the sun, the tilt of the earth, you have told me many a tale, some tall some small, all fascinating when told through your words, in your specific way of speaking, your tone, your dialect, your passion for learning and insatiable curiousity coming through your words. Thank you for all your communication with me during our physical time together. You are a hero to me and an inspiration. I am thankful i had the honor to sit face to face with you, eyes confidently set to your eyeline and connect with a man who has drifted among the tides, swam with sharks and dolphins, spoken with and worked among many a great man and woman, and shared all the stories of the past, present, and future together. Thank you Grandad! Love you, sail in peace

love, love, love, Lane Crockett Easley
lane easley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-09, 03:05 PM   #240
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54

Rest in Peace Sir. I never met Captian Alford, but as long as there are people who know his name he will never die.