SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5 > Silent Hunter Online
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-25-13, 12:25 AM   #1
Singed
Sailbad the Sinner

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 0

A big step in improving their relations with my tiny little part of the PC community would be sell me something I can play. No stupid DRM, no having to log in to something like uplay, I can find communities to game with on my own (hello subsim.com!), I just want to buy the game and play it.

Quote:
The big failure of SH5 is the lack of the type IXC of coarse, it's probably Ubi's single biggest mistake, I always hoped for an addon to be released but Ubi had already cut their cloth as it were and that's exactly what I mean by a rethink of production and marketing, the lack of imagineering.
I'd have been really happy with a type VII sim, even just restricted to say a VIIC, to me the big failure (once you get past all the release issues, DRM and bugs) is the entire campaign layer. They had some awesome examples of good campaigns coming from the modders in SH3 and SH4, GWX and RFB + RSRDC are my favorites, but each of them has several quality options, NYGM, Trigger Maru, etc. Yet with all of this awesome work done for free by the community, they give us something that is really a console style series of achievements.

The modders have been heroic on SH5 and gave us something more than playable but I'm still finding SH5 kind of hollow and drifting back to SH3.

What I'd love to play:

An SH3+(megamod) style campaign / career on SH5 with Sober's mod list and all the goodies, real nav, scripting, etc. I realize that mix is too hardcore for most of the non-subsim community, but realism can be tweaked to make it as easy as one would want.
Singed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-13, 01:55 PM   #2
ahaysub
Nub

Downloads: 5
Default Future Sub Sim

Get back to basics. GREAT visual details. Harbors, coast lines, weather, waves, realtime damage models that vary with each time you play a mission.
AI that actually works correctly. Never mind talking to crew members to make them feel good, running around the ship, picking specific crews, writing logs, etc.
Make things like saving games and returning to campaigns that actually work. STICK TO BASICS AND MAKE THEM OPERATE CORRECTLY.

If Ubisoft can't or won't fix their game and all they are worried able is DRM, piracy, and locking the software on their online servers, forget about them.

Dig up ACES OF THE DEEP or SILECT SERVICE - do a 21th century upgrade and roll it out. Competition will fix or sink UBISOFT
ahaysub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-13, 06:52 AM   #3
Theodor Christensen
Watch

Downloads: 71

Would love a new simulator, a good one for once, good graphics and good gameplay, and make it look real..its jsut a dream but it should be possible. SH5 graphics in SH3 game would be a good one.
-Captain Theodor
Old 02-26-13, 12:17 PM   #4
sidslotm
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singed View Post
The modders have been heroic on SH5 and gave us something more than playable but I'm still finding SH5 kind of hollow and drifting back to SH3.
Hollow is a good description and about how I feel. Even in the shallow waters there is not enough tension to go round, I find myself Submerging and going out for an hour or two, only to take it up when I return, I have left it running all night before now. But no matter how I try to break away from this sim, I seem to return to Kiel and re-enlisting.