SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-05-23, 04:24 AM   #1
Tigerzhunters
Frogman

Downloads: 96
Uploads: 0

Icon12 Is AI possible launch torpedo

Well Is Ai Possible To Launch A Torpedo ? Yea it hardcoded But im always think What If Make new Shell But It Torpedo Like Rocket But i still doesnt knew last time test It The Torpedo Fly Lmao . But i Remember There Someone Make Mod That Usa Plane Can launch Torpedo
Old 06-05-23, 06:22 AM   #2
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerzhunters View Post
Well Is Ai Possible To Launch A Torpedo ? Yea it hardcoded But im always think What If Make new Shell But It Torpedo Like Rocket But i still doesnt knew last time test It The Torpedo Fly Lmao . But i Remember There Someone Make Mod That Usa Plane Can launch Torpedo
Not possible in SH3. There is still the Fido homing (acoustic) torpedo mod (make a search on this forum). A real attack with non-acoustic torpedoes is just impossible with the game mechanisms and AI.
Mister_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-23, 07:08 PM   #3
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_M View Post
Not possible in SH3. There is still the Fido homing (acoustic) torpedo mod (make a search on this forum). A real attack with non-acoustic torpedoes is just impossible with the game mechanisms and AI.
I think Chinese modder H.sie managed to get AI submarines to work with torpedoes. I personally have no idea how he managed it, so I would suggest downloading his patch and looking to see what his changes to the game are like.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=174225

Be warned I am not 100% sure - his submarines may still use the "invisible gun" workaround to imitate torpedoes.

Now, for Silent Hunter 4 I can 100% confirm that AI torpedoes work on any ship or plane. The only problem is that they gradually sink over time, so AI units need to fire them at about 500 - 1000 meters. Not a big problem because that is a realistic torpedo range anyway.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-23, 08:40 AM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

All methods are "fakes" to "launch" torpedoes. There is the cannon method that H.sie used, and then there is the Torpedo Gun method that DarkFish used. That also used a cannon, but it spawned a torpedo when "shot". The game does not do AI "aiming" or "targeting" very well, so multiple shots from multiple angles are usually needed to get "hits" on the intended target. This can lead to undesirable effects, as you can imagine, if you have "torpedoes" going every which way. I wonder if they had AI torpedoes in Destroyer Command when a person played that "solo"... ??

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-23, 06:44 PM   #5
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Thanks for clarifying, propbeanie. In my experimentation with torpedoes for SH3, there have been two problems:

1) The game physics cause torpedoes to sink upon firing (unless you treat them like gun rounds, with high speed)

2) When generated, torpedoes appear in the wrong direction (I believe it was always North) regardless of orientation of the firing tube or launcher.

I have never seen anyone resolve these issues yet.
Old 07-03-23, 03:57 PM   #6
Anvart
Admiral

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 1
wolf_howl15 sergbuto and ...

Note:
Let's be fair...
The first to use an invisible cannon as a 'torpedo tube' was Sergei Butorin (sergbuto)!
H.sie appeared on the forum much later!

And about "AI" submarine :
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...9&postcount=42

Moses said: "Don't create yourself an idol"...

Last edited by Anvart; 07-25-23 at 08:08 AM.
Anvart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-23, 04:24 PM   #7
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

I've seen an AI submarine dive and launch torpedoes against me in a mod where you can play as a destroyer commander.
Old 07-03-23, 05:18 PM   #8
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvart View Post
Note:
Let's be fair...
The first to use an invisible cannon as a 'torpedo tube' was Sergei Butorin (sergbuto)!
H.sie appeared on the forum much later!

Yes indeed. He also did this:

and another that I cannot find... I also did not find his thread...

DarkFish did [REL] AI launched torpedoes in SH4, but I thought he was doing it in SH3 also, or maybe someone was copying off of him for it - or the other way around?? Been too long to remember all of that.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-23, 07:55 PM   #9
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_M View Post
I've seen an AI submarine dive and launch torpedoes against me in a mod where you can play as a destroyer commander.
Are you sure it was Silent Hunter 3? If so, that would be amazing modding work. I wonder if it was created by one of the Russian SH3 modders; due to the language barrier there are some excellent Russian SH3/4/5 mods that don't become too popular on subsim.

Regardless of who made it I would love to study that mod, if you are able to locate it.
Old 07-03-23, 08:00 PM   #10
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Just had a brainstorm about how maybe torpedoes could be implemented; it would involve a hack to the SH3 recoil animation for the in-game guns. Kind of a long shot and difficult to explain, but I will [eventually] investigate. Other modding (for SH4) comes first.
Old 07-03-23, 08:24 PM   #11
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
Are you sure it was Silent Hunter 3? If so, that would be amazing modding work. I wonder if it was created by one of the Russian SH3 modders; due to the language barrier there are some excellent Russian SH3/4/5 mods that don't become too popular on subsim.

Regardless of who made it I would love to study that mod, if you are able to locate it.

Yes. SH3. Ask Tigerzhunters for the D/L link. The british sub makes the game crash, but not the german one. This AI submarine will dive at periscope depth as soon as it sees you, then launch one or several torpedoes directly on your course, and dive to around -60 m if you are close enough to it.
Old 07-12-23, 12:14 PM   #12
Tigerzhunters
Frogman

Downloads: 96

Well i cant Share It Because it was not public also before i ask My Group Because it not only me that make it work it also some my freinds From South africa/Ukraine/Poland/France But it has 1 Thing thats Our group cant Managed to fix Sometimes If the Torpedo impact to You it Will crash you but sometimes it work and make you ded
Old 07-25-23, 08:02 AM   #13
Anvart
Admiral

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 1
wolf_howl15 "AI"

About AI look #6

Moses said: "Don't create yourself an idol"...
Anvart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-23, 09:09 AM   #14
SDFilm
Watch

Downloads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Yes indeed. He also did this:

[snip]

Indeed they can work like that, which was a pleasent surprise after hearing for so long that it's impossible. I've recently edited the Hsie/Stiebler version of the air-dropped torpedos to be fired from several different aircraft since the original Hsie mod only had them dropped by one special version of the Avenger. Now the mid-late war years have more of a 'Cold Waters' feel to it. This might at first sound like overkill but it's balanced by two things; in my custom campaigns it's easier to get late-war tech including the XXI sub, plus the torpdoes are far from being an assured hit. They may or may not be dropped in a good direction and then may or may not aquire your engine noise depending on how loud your sub is. They do at least keep you on your toes; needing to dive fast to avoid the plane's conventional weapons, and then go slow or deep to avoid the torpedo from aquiring your engine noise.

Last edited by SDFilm; 07-30-23 at 09:46 AM.
SDFilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-23, 12:19 PM   #15
Tabris
A-ganger

Downloads: 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDFilm View Post
plus the torpdoes are far from being an assured hit. They may or may not be dropped in a good direction and then may or may not aquire your engine noise depending on how loud your sub is. They do at least keep you on your toes; needing to dive fast to avoid the plane's conventional weapons, and then go slow or deep to avoid the torpedo from acquiring your engine noise.
as a fellow bigtime XXI player, I'm intrigued. Have you actually been hit by one before? I had passed over this mod because frankly, the Mk24's performance doesn't look too intimidating compared to the XXI's performance. Here are some of uboat.net's stats on the weapon:

Speed and Endurance: 12 kts for approx. 15 min
Search Pattern: Initial circle search approximately 150 ft (45m) dia. at 50 ft (15m) depth; shift to acoustic homing upon target detection. Initial search depth was later changed to 150 ft (45m).

Unless the weapon is meaner than that in this mod, it kind of sounds like the XXI is immune unless in shallow water. As a fellow elektroboot driver I'm sure you know, we can reach 100m in a matter of seconds, while maintaining 11-12kt even with the dive planes set for crash-dive.

At this point I'll probably still give it a go. Anything that makes the XXI harder to play would be welcome. But like I said, I'd be eager to know if you've actually been struck by one.

- Tabris
Tabris is offline   Reply With Quote