SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-23-16, 01:42 PM   #1
lundy1024
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default SH 4 problems playing and viewing // crashes

So I purchased SH 4 awhile back and played one campaign on easy. Made it pretty far in the game but got bored with it. Recently, I figured I would try play it again but realized that I had erased the game. I found SH 4 gold edition online downloaded it and opened it up. I have it in C:/Ubisoft folder as was recommended by some others on here. If I have my computer plugged in at work to an overhead projector the game works just fine whether the projector is on or off. However, the game does not work when my computer is not plugged into a projector. I figured with the brain power on this site someone would be able to help me out. I have the compatibility changed to vista xp service pack 2. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the game multiple times with the last time making sure that I run it as an administrator.

The game loads fine but when I go to options and click on graphics it crashes. Or when I start a scenario the words game paused come up and I can still click on all the different icons on the bottom like the war map and command buttons. When I try to start an American Campaign it crashes when I click on start.

Obviously it has something to do with the graphics but I just want to know why it works once I plug my projector from work into the very same computer and it crashes when I don't have my projector plugged in.

Funny enough if I open an American Campaign up with the projector plugged in I can unplug the projector and the campaign runs fine until I finish a patrol or I try to save the game.

Hopefully someone out there can point me in the right direction. I have windows 7 on my computer. Not sure which graphics card I have.

Thanks
lundy1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-16, 05:27 PM   #2
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Welcome to our little insane asylum, lundy1024. Happy to have you aboard.

Hopefully, someone here will have an answer to your question soon.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-16, 05:28 PM   #3
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > lundy1024
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community

With Windows 7 installed I am not sure why you need to run SH4 in a compatibility mode.
It should run ok on OS7.
Vista and XP are two different types of OS.
I am sure it is the compatibility that is the cause of the problems.
Regarding your Gpu you should be able to see it named in your Control Panel i.e. Nvidia.
Also can be seen in Programs & Features from the Control Panel.

THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-16, 05:49 AM   #4
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

Welcome aboard.

I have been running SH4 in windows 7 since I got it.
there is a setting for "large disk" (?) or memory, or something like that. I don't remember exactly what, I set it and have been OK.

I'm sure one of the GURUs here has that information.
mikesn9 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-16, 09:20 AM   #5
XTBilly
Officer

Downloads: 157

Welcome Lundy1024!

The game by default runs with GU.EXE. Try to run the game by clicking on SH4.EXE located in the game's main directory.

Regards,
Billy.
XTBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-16, 04:08 PM   #6
lundy1024
Swabbie

Tried SH4.exe in the main directory and that didn't work. Thanks though! At this point I'm willing to try about anything.
Old 06-24-16, 07:27 PM   #7
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Did you first install your SH4 Gold with the projector attached? Or maybe set the SH4 to a setting that worked with the projector? When un-installing SH4 in order to do a re-install, some files and registry settings are left behind, and that might be influencing the game. While you are plugged into the projector, see if you can access Options / Graphics Settings and change the Game Resolution settings back to something that works for sure for certain with your regular display, like 1024x768, 4:3, 60Hz.

It might be also, that Windows, in its continuing effort to help the user, is "seeing" that you're going to play Silent Hunter, and since you played it on the projector two months ago, it "automatically" is attempting to access the projector again, which is back at work 20 miles away, just for you... tic - though I'd try to change the game settings first.

If you want to try, look at How To Re-Install SH4.... Some of the measures are "drastic" in some circles, but... it does get rid of all signs of Ubisoft from the computer. Read the warnings and heed them. Have a restore disk, do a restore point and back-up the registry before delving into the deep of that... Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to ask someone else's advice on here, concerning that aspect, prior to doing anything along those lines.

If you do another re-install, don't do it while connected to a projector, or first starting SH4 up. It uses its "start" to determine your system's capabilities... |;^)
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-16, 11:12 PM   #8
lundy1024
Swabbie

That makes sense! I bet I did first install this game while I was at work. I'll try to get rid of it completely and reinstall
Old 06-25-16, 09:37 AM   #9
lundy1024
Swabbie

Nope, still doesn't work. Try open up a submarine school and it just says game paused when it should be showing me the inside of the sub. No way to unpause it. If I try open up the graphics it crashes and if I try click start on an american campaign it crashes. However, when I plug the computer in at work and it adjust to the duplicate screen, the game works with no problems.

Old 06-25-16, 11:21 AM   #10
lundy1024
Swabbie

funny enough I found my older desktop monitor at home and decided to plug it in to see if I could get the computer to the same settings that this game uses to work when I am at work plugged into an overhead.

Now it makes it a little bit further in the American Campaign mode. I can get to the point where I need to decide if I want to start in Pearl Harbor or out of the Harbor. I click on start and it just clicks but doesn't crash like before

I somehow need to tease the computer to get into the exact settings that it needs to get into when it is plugged into an overhead projector
Old 06-25-16, 11:23 AM   #11
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

lundy1024!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-16, 05:23 PM   #12
lundy1024
Swabbie

Think I figured it out. My computer has a quota memory. So at work I must be allowed to go over the quota. But when I am off my work network SH4 isn't allowed to save anything on my computer so it freezes at the point it needs to start saving anything on my computer. Now to try and fix that
Old 06-25-16, 08:50 PM   #13
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Are you referring to hard drive space when you say "memory quota"? My work computers are locked-down tighter than a drum, and I cannot install *anything* on them. I can't even email myself at home from my work computer. Only work, and only while at work. The hard drive in the computer is only used to store company supplied programs for local access, and for the Windows swap file. If I go to save a Word doc file, it goes to my network storage, not to the local desktop computer I have.

What directory -er- folder is your game installed in? What drive letter? Does it have one of those little "Z" symbols for network drive, or is it a little "box" thingie, for a local drive? What "folder" is your game "Save" in? My company's network is set-up to where my files are "saved" to a "C:\Users\MyName|" folder, but it's actually a drive on the network. I'm not even allowed to "see" the real hard drive on my computer... If your folders are on the network, that could be the problem. How much access do you have to your computer's settings?
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-16, 08:02 AM   #14
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome to SubSim lundy

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote

Tags
compatibility, crash, windows 7