SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-03-23, 04:08 PM   #1831
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Downloads: 442
Uploads: 0

^^

FUBAR295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-23, 05:53 PM   #1832
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 817

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweiss View Post
Ah HAH!! Hot diggity doggies, I got it to work. And it is beautiful. The ships, the ocean, the wave actions against the boat, the Uboat skins, the crew, the boat interior, all just gorgeous, simply gorgeous. Can't wait to set sail.

Open ocean levels at 120-130 fps on deck, up close to the convoy in the "Happy Times" single mission I get 55-65 fps with a tanker burning and sinking. Can't ask for more.

Okay, the secret sauce to my delimma was in the Main.cfg file.

Original Main.cfg file contained in the NYGM ENHANCED STEEL COFFIN EDITION V5 reads:

[VIDEO]
Resolution=1024 x 800
DynamicShadows=No
FullScreen=Yes
Synchronized=No
ParticleDensity=100
TextureResolutionHigh=Yes

All I did was change it to:

[VIDEO]
Resolution=1920 x 1080
DynamicShadows=No
FullScreen=Yes
Synchronized=Yes
ParticleDensity=100
TextureResolutionHigh=Yes

...and Presto!

Works like a charm. No more Windows shutdown error, no more screen freeze.

How can it be that simple?

Attachment 5871 "Oh, man. I only ride em, I don't know what makes em work."

First I would like to thank the academy, and my first grade teacher Ms. Yarnhouse, and of course Fifi and Fubar for all their talented and hard work, and my two Tom Cats who patiently await my attention...

Danke alte kameraden!

you have to have faith my ducky...especially in what you do...right...??
well done, I'm delighted that FUBAR & Fifi have faith in you...!!!
This mod is the best in the genre thanks to the phenomenal work of Fifi...

Last edited by Kal_Maximus_U669; 11-03-23 at 06:03 PM.
Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-23, 11:50 AM   #1833
bweiss
Loader

Downloads: 491

"Have a little faith baby, have a little faith."

I love that movie, "Kelly's Hero's". I always thought the plot was actually far more realistic than they had originally planned.

Couple things I found out along the way (probably what everyone else already knows and no one told me), but with SH3 and Enhanced NYGM, et., al., installed on my platform C:\ drive (an older WD spindle drive), as opposed to the F:\ drive (a Samsung SSD T5), makes quite a difference in a few ways. The data load times for the SSD are of course, far faster. The red data load bar zips through in about 3 seconds. But then as the system attempts to load all that data, (like sucking cement through a straw), it sits there for about 3 mins, then springs to life.
If installed on the older WD spindle drive, the red load bar then takes about 3 mins to load, then pops opens the game. Kinda six of one and half dozen of the other. Either way, the load of all that data takes time for the PC to digest.

Now more interestingly, when installed on the older WD spindle drive, a single mission, test mission acquired from I don't remember where, but it's an open ocean start (no one else around) though an aircraft off the West Afrika shore eventually shows up, the FPS rates are around 120-130, dropping to around 110-120 when firing up the diesels (caused by sound file playing slow down I imagine). It's normal. If installed on the Samsung SSD, then on that same test mission the open ocean FPS hits (and this is hard to believe but...), FPS hits 170-180, then drops to around 160-170 with the engines running. That's just outstanding. I've never hit anywhere close to those figures with NYGM mods. That may well be the true hidden gem in this new mod from Fifi.

So somewhere far above my knowledge level I'm sold on the SSD as the game drive and this mod as an achievement in graphical process efficiency. All in all, the SSD transfers data far faster not only in load times, but also in the process of running the game apparently. I did not know that as I've always loaded most all my games on SSD's for a while now.

When installed on the SSD, initially I got the Windows shutdown error again, even with the main.cfg file fix inserted first. But then after loading up a single mission, it stopped and has not returned. Seemingly, the system had to open an active running portion of the game to get used to the requested screen display. Weird. None of that happens on the WD spindle drive once the data\main.cfg file was altered. This platform has always been squirrely if running a game on a display level other than it's native 3840 x 2160. It takes some monkeying around to make it work. I guess it gets confused and wants to run home to Momma.

Thanks again guys for this mod. I've been an NYGM follower since the old days, and this just tops it all off! Hats off to you Fifi, and all of those who made this thing happen. Incredible piece of work.

Last edited by bweiss; 11-04-23 at 01:04 PM.
bweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-23, 03:10 PM   #1834
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 817

Default "Kelly's Hero's"

I love this old film. I saw it when I was a kid. Besides, I still have the DVD..!! Kelly & HotBall 2 excellent character..
Coming back to your SSD story...yes the SSD is much better...fast, reliable if invested in a good brand...
As for the resolution I haven't tried to upscale it because currently I'm still on my old PC "Ga P55 UD3" so you see the table my cute...!
Now as I told you, I am delighted that you are benefiting from Fifi's exceptional work.
Kind regards, Kal Maximus U669
Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-23, 06:43 PM   #1835
Doolar
Expert Shipsinker

Downloads: 360
Default Thank you

V5 runs GREAT !!! Ran a 4 hour TEST PATROL. Thank You again Fifi. Beautiful !!!!!
Old 11-05-23, 06:28 AM   #1836
rik007
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 117

It is rock stable. Really great!
rik007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-23, 12:44 PM   #1837
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 456

For next update, i'm fixing ships textures troubles...MFM ships have plenty!
Such as those platform foot:

Before

After

Also modifying some ships 3D model details to better accuracy (to me)

Again very long work...

Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-23, 01:04 PM   #1838
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
For next update, i'm fixing ships textures troubles...MFM ships have plenty!
Such as those platform foot:

Also modifying some ships 3D model details to better accuracy (to me)

Again very long work...

Your micro details work is awesome. Many thanks!

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-23, 02:26 PM   #1839
Fifi
Navy Seal

Thank you! Yes small details are time consuming, mainly because there are so many ships!

Old 11-06-23, 02:40 AM   #1840
Autopilotman
Swabbie

Downloads: 258

I've noticed a bug with the Kiel canal autopilot.
It seems to be upside-down using both DGUI and ARB options.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (15.5 KB, 12 views)
Autopilotman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-23, 04:31 AM   #1841
Rod999
Watch

Downloads: 15

I am using this fantastic mod with the ARB gui, since I prefer having the TDC in periscope view (unlike the already installed Dgui where I have to switch stations). I use to play at 100% realism with one exception: I don't like do run through the recognition manual. Therefore, I leave the weapon officer unchecked in options and change the position parameters of the solution button so that it disappears from the view. In other words, the weapon officer is only used for recognition. When using the ARB gui, the weapon officer identifies the ship, but it doesn't show up (like in the Dgui), as far as I can see. You could only view the name of the ship by clicking on it in the nav map after identification and then search for it in the manual, but I play without updating the contact map. So, the ARB gui would be perfect for me if I knew a way to implement a ship identification field in periscope view (similar to the Dgui) that also opens the corresponding ship in the recognition manual. I know how to implement the notepad that would give me this option, but I don't use it and don't want to do that because the U-Jagd chrono comes in handy sometimes and would be overwritten. Anyone knows a way to add such an option to the periscope view in the ARB gui? Thx.

Rod999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-23, 06:40 AM   #1842
GrenSo
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 584
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autopilotman View Post
I've noticed a bug with the Kiel canal autopilot.
It seems to be upside-down using both DGUI and ARB options.

I also had this problem this weekend. I just didn't think about it and set the course manually. But yes, it's seems there is a small issue.

“Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind.” - J.F.K.
GrenSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-23, 06:55 AM   #1843
Fifi
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrenSo View Post
I also had this problem this weekend. I just didn't think about it and set the course manually. But yes, it's seems there is a small issue.
I will look into it

Old 11-06-23, 11:08 AM   #1844
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

Quote:
I will look into it
It happened when the subs starting position was changed from the bunker to the dock, it threw all the replot waypoints off.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-23, 02:49 PM   #1845
Doolar
Expert Shipsinker

Downloads: 360
Default Re

I've noticed a bug with the Kiel canal autopilot. I NEVER used the Kiel canal autopilot. The other morning when I was doing a "TEST RUN" on v5, I tried it just for the heck of it. The waypoints lined up fine but my boat didn't follow them. I was thinking it was my fault because I activated it a second after I started moving and not before hand as your suppose to. No big deal, I plot my own coarse anyway.

Last edited by Doolar; 11-07-23 at 12:13 AM.
Doolar is offline   Reply With Quote