SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-18-23, 06:05 PM   #106
agathosdaimon
Planesman

Downloads: 142
Uploads: 0

okay its working now - it seems i have to use my CD versions of Aotd and not the old disk version - i seem to have both in my games fodler
agathosdaimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-23, 12:58 PM   #107
Andreas86
Engineer

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by agathosdaimon View Post
i have followed you instructions a couple times over and the same result every time - if i go to the bridge, the initial screen showing the new front view is there, but as soon as i pan left or right, the whole things crashes

what patch version of AOD is this mod intended for? also are there any specific Dosbox settings needed?

i notice also that the tower bmp files are not actual bmp graphic files are? it does not appear that one can even open them in any graphics program - o tried to open them in ms paint and photoshop, just to see if there is anythign up with them, but none will open - they come up as Invalid format
Right, the mod needs the latest CD version of Aces of the Deep for DOS, that is what it has been tested with. No specific DOSbox settings are needed, it will run on a minimum of cycles on a 486 setting, so nothing to worry about there. I will do some check later to see why the floppy disk version has these issues, but for a better overall experience of AOD, it is still recommended to play the latest patched version.

The BMP files used in AOD are not ordinary BMPs, but a proprietary Dynamix format. Take some minutes to read this whole thread, my included readme, and also this: https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=251404

Anyway, happy to hear you got it sorted. Let me know if there are any other issues.
Andreas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-23, 03:20 PM   #108
Andreas86
Engineer

Default New mod version 1.8 uploaded! 17.06.23

I have finally finished version 1.8, it is uploaded here on SubSim:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=6229

and here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s2z...usp=drive_link

New in version 1.8

-New control room screen for the type IX uboat.

-Improved torpedo loading screens.

-Radio room screen color correction.

In this long-in-progress update, the big news is a brand new control room screen for the type IX uboat, a feature I myself have missed. This was a tricky one, since little good material exists in terms of photographic documentation of the type IX interior. So, I had to use the original Dynamix art as a basis for my graphic editing. Luckily this worked out very well, though the screen went through many revisions and a lot of work went into it. Next I focused on updating the torpedoroom screen for both the type VII/IX and the type XXI, featuring better uboat profiles, and a cleaner background. Lastly, the radio room screen has been color corrected and the operator now should look more like a uboat man and less like a lobster. I am nearing the end of what I can modify graphically in the game, at least until we can find out more about various graphic format compression methods. I hope to be able to create a new control room screen for the type II in the future though. That would complete the collection of new control rooms. I wish you a lot of fun with the mod.

Keep Aces of the Deep alive!

Last edited by Andreas86; 06-21-23 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-17-23, 04:08 PM   #109
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 488
Uploads: 4

Well done as usual Andreas!
Old 06-18-23, 12:07 PM   #110
Redwing6891
Swabbie

Downloads: 12
Default Aces of the Deep - Game of the Year Edition

This mod is absolutely amazing! I happened across it completely by accident - and on Father's Day to boot - after doing the SubSim Skipper quiz for fun. Needless to say, my assessment came up as hardcore, so I decided to rummage around a bit on the website and found this.

Aces of the Deep has always been special to me, and while in the 90s I needed a 486 tower to run it, it now works on my tablet PC.

Your additions are wonderful, and very tasteful as well, in keeping with the original spirit of the game. The different menu screens look so much better, and the crew on the bridge is just genius. Particularly at night time, this looks really realistic.

I never took to the Command edition (though Onkel Neal's videos on it are very entertaining), as the sound in it was dodgy, and the sound in AOD adds so much to the immersion. Part of me misses the old crew voices but your additions are spot on, and after several decades of e-skippering the same crew, I don't mind a bit of a change. The old one all got promoted and moved on, in my mind. The engine and water noises are brilliant, and the new torpedo launch sound is great as well.

All in all, this is a marvellous labour of love for the first great subsim and I would like to say a big thank you for doing and sharing this. It has rekindled my passion for this old gem. Thank you very much.

Hats off!

Now back to the North Atlantic...
Redwing6891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-23, 12:43 PM   #111
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Redwing6891!...good to see you on the surface after a 6mos 'silent run'..with "rekindled passion" to boot!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-23, 12:56 PM   #112
Redwing6891
Swabbie

Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Redwing6891!...good to see you on the surface after a 6mos 'silent run'..with "rekindled passion" to boot!
Haha, ... and I wasn't even going to Argentina...

Thank you very much for the kind words. In the presence of esteemed 'old hares' I usually just stick with being the 'Silent Service'. I am really just an old noob! But this outstanding Aces mod just made me break radio silence. It's stuff like this what makes SubSim such a great place.

Good hunting!
Old 06-18-23, 03:14 PM   #113
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing6891
In the presence of esteemed 'old hares'
Ya bugger! some of us steamy 'old hares' have no hair! Feel free to join the latest social group I just started upon your arrival; I can't beieve there wasn't one in place when I arrived 10 years ago!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 06-18-23, 05:00 PM   #114
Redwing6891
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Ya bugger! some of us steamy 'old hares' have no hair! Feel free to join the latest social group I just started upon your arrival; I can't beieve there wasn't one in place when I arrived 10 years ago!
... it adds to your distinguished air... very Captain Picard.

Sorry for being dumb but could you maybe PM me how / where to join that group?
Old 06-18-23, 11:02 PM   #115
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

pm sent

Old 06-19-23, 07:55 AM   #116
Andreas86
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing6891 View Post
This mod is absolutely amazing! I happened across it completely by accident - and on Father's Day to boot - after doing the SubSim Skipper quiz for fun. Needless to say, my assessment came up as hardcore, so I decided to rummage around a bit on the website and found this.

Aces of the Deep has always been special to me, and while in the 90s I needed a 486 tower to run it, it now works on my tablet PC.

Your additions are wonderful, and very tasteful as well, in keeping with the original spirit of the game. The different menu screens look so much better, and the crew on the bridge is just genius. Particularly at night time, this looks really realistic.

I never took to the Command edition (though Onkel Neal's videos on it are very entertaining), as the sound in it was dodgy, and the sound in AOD adds so much to the immersion. Part of me misses the old crew voices but your additions are spot on, and after several decades of e-skippering the same crew, I don't mind a bit of a change. The old one all got promoted and moved on, in my mind. The engine and water noises are brilliant, and the new torpedo launch sound is great as well.

All in all, this is a marvellous labour of love for the first great subsim and I would like to say a big thank you for doing and sharing this. It has rekindled my passion for this old gem. Thank you very much.

Hats off!

Now back to the North Atlantic...

Redwing6891, I am not sure what to say.. Your comment here alone makes all the time spent on this mod worth it !! Thanks a lot for your kind words, I am thrilled that you enjoy it! Indeed it has been a labour of love, as AOD is very dear to me. And being true to the spirit of the game was always my goal, so this all makes me very, very happy to hear!

And if you find any anomalies, or any specific thing you would like to see improved, don't hesitate to drop me a pm!

Last edited by Andreas86; 06-19-23 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-19-23, 01:49 PM   #117
Redwing6891
Swabbie

Default Type II Control Room

Dear Andreas86, you deserve all the Kudos you can get. What you have done is just outstanding. I have loved and played this game since it's been out in the 90s, and your mod lifts enjoyment of it to a whole new level. It's like the difference between the submersible torpedo boat and the electro boat.

Regards the type II control room, I was wondering if the Vesikko as the type II prototype might be of any help? There are a few pictures available on the net.

https://sakhalianet.x10.mx/shippictu...ne_vesikko.htm

https://northeastatwar.co.uk/2019/03...f-two-u-boats/

https://kinsaleangling.com/gallery/s...-8-162#joomimg

https://www.pinterest.co.kr/pin/insi...9752435326246/

https://pxhere.com/fi/photo/1111154

Last edited by Redwing6891; 06-19-23 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-21-23, 05:32 AM   #118
Andreas86
Engineer

Quote:
Dear Andreas86, you deserve all the Kudos you can get. What you have done is just outstanding. I have loved and played this game since it's been out in the 90s, and your mod lifts enjoyment of it to a whole new level. It's like the difference between the submersible torpedo boat and the electro boat.

Regards the type II control room, I was wondering if the Vesikko as the type II prototype might be of any help? There are a few pictures available on the net.

https://sakhalianet.x10.mx/shippictu...ne_vesikko.htm

https://northeastatwar.co.uk/2019/03...f-two-u-boats/

https://kinsaleangling.com/gallery/s...-8-162#joomimg

https://www.pinterest.co.kr/pin/insi...9752435326246/

https://pxhere.com/fi/photo/1111154

Thanks again Redwing, I am honored! I know what you mean, the game has been a longtime companion for me as well. Found it by chance in a game store in the 90s, and always went back to it. They managed to create a very memorable atmosphere in the game, everything from the palette, to the interaction of the crew.

Great links! I haven't found these earlier somehow. Pics look good - I have downloaded the ones that can help me, these will definately come in handy later!
Old 06-21-23, 07:57 AM   #119
Redwing6891
Swabbie

Default F.A.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas86 View Post
Thanks again Redwing, I am honored! I know what you mean, the game has been a longtime companion for me as well. Found it by chance in a game store in the 90s, and always went back to it. They managed to create a very memorable atmosphere in the game, everything from the palette, to the interaction of the crew.

Great links! I haven't found these earlier somehow. Pics look good - I have downloaded the ones that can help me, these will definately come in handy later!
Glad you found some of the pics useful, Andreas. Happy to scour the net for more or assist in any other way, if needed.

You're absolutely right with the memorable atmosphere. There is something about AOD that none of the other subsims managed to catch. It somehow felt like a submarine, and you got really attached to the crew. I have to admit I pulled rank and transferred them again onto my boat. Left all the other sound mods in place, just swapped the crew voices back. I missed them too much!

In the meantime... I am working my way up yet again from type II to VII and beyond. Slow going, lots of dud torpedoes on 1939/40 and frustrated attacks. But the career prize of your spruced up type VII awaits... Good hunting!
Old 06-21-23, 11:39 AM   #120
Andreas86
Engineer

Quote:
Glad you found some of the pics useful, Andreas. Happy to scour the net for more or assist in any other way, if needed.

You're absolutely right with the memorable atmosphere. There is something about AOD that none of the other subsims managed to catch. It somehow felt like a submarine, and you got really attached to the crew. I have to admit I pulled rank and transferred them again onto my boat. Left all the other sound mods in place, just swapped the crew voices back. I missed them too much!

In the meantime... I am working my way up yet again from type II to VII and beyond. Slow going, lots of dud torpedoes on 1939/40 and frustrated attacks. But the career prize of your spruced up type VII awaits... Good hunting!

Thanks, I will keep that in mind, I do hope to be able to modify around more stuff! I understand that, that is why I have left it modular so you can install what you like, and leave whatever in -if needed. While I might make a complete total conversion game folder / pre-installed in the future, I will always release a modular version too.

Argh, those dud torpedoes were killing my in my last career play. So few to begin with and man, when one after the other keeps failing it is brutal! I really should continue the career, last time I was promoted and leading the boards, so I received a IX assigned in the South Atlantic.