SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-16-22, 10:03 AM   #4531
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

I had to remove E141/S001 COMPLETELY from the BFD file.
Then planted a new RL2 coded section in it's place.
Then had to edit the BFI to reflect the size change.
So you'll need to test my new edits and then will do a patch file so you can include that with future releases if you wish.

S001, once I finally got it exported ended up being 1,052,267,462 bytes!

Pure garbage!
Old 04-16-22, 10:32 AM   #4532
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!HansGruber!! View Post
I'm struggling with awards in FotRSU. My understanding is completing objectives is most important towards earning awards. I returned from a patrol in March '43 (98/100 difficulty) where I completed 2 x 5 day grid patrols as well as successfully reporting multiple convoys which resulted in additional completed objectives for "Sink Enemy Merchant Vessel", "Attack Jap Task Force", and "Sink Large Troop Transports". All this resulted in the sinking of 129k tons including CV Shokaku. On return to port I receive a shiny Bronze Star.

I am enjoying the mod but this just seems odd.
That sounds about right. There should also have been awards and promotions for your crew, if you visited their section in-base. Awards are handed out like candy for your crew, and you can pick and choose which members are "deserving". Wikipedia says "The Bronze Star Medal (BSM) is a United States Armed Forces decoration awarded to members of the United States Armed Forces for either heroic achievement, heroic service, meritorious achievement, or meritorious service in a combat zone." They were not 'easy' to get. Of interest to SH4 players, is the fact that the award did not exist before February 1944. the Silver Star was created in August 1942, replacing the Citation Star.

Awards in the game are based upon points ~AND~ patrol rating, of which the patrol rating is composed of some rather convoluted math that spans more than one patrol, and attempts to "average out" your skill level (see Of refits, new commands, rank, and retirements). One good patrol does not a career make, as was seen from several skippers during WW2. Since the awards are basically point based, you cannot award anything by "area of participation", such as the Philippines campaign, or North Africa, and you cannot award based upon time frame, such as the Bronze Star after February of 1944, or the Silver Star after August 1942, and have the previous awards "go away". Add to that the fact that the Stock game handed out CMOH like candy, and folks get the impression that they should get something every patrol. Whereas, fellows like my dad, who were of the mind that "it was a job, and someone had to do it", and did things that others would run away from - yet all my dad ever got was a field promotion and an Asiatic-Pacific Campaign medal, as well as the Philippines Liberation Award and a host of "victory" medals, but nothing specifically for having done his job while under fire on an LST while doing the Leyte landings, or any one of a number of other chores his unit did. No Dugout Dougs in the US Navy, especially the Submarine Service, mister!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-22, 10:33 AM   #4533
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!HansGruber!! View Post
I'm struggling with awards in FotRSU. My understanding is completing objectives is most important towards earning awards. I returned from a patrol in March '43 (98/100 difficulty) where I completed 2 x 5 day grid patrols as well as successfully reporting multiple convoys which resulted in additional completed objectives for "Sink Enemy Merchant Vessel", "Attack Jap Task Force", and "Sink Large Troop Transports". All this resulted in the sinking of 129k tons including CV Shokaku. On return to port I receive a shiny Bronze Star.

I am enjoying the mod but this just seems odd.
don't let the awarding of a particular medal bother you.
the fact that you received one is what is important.

others have had the same experiences as you: consecutive missions with very similar performances yielded different awards. it's an Ubi thing.

just enjoy the experience and press on.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-22, 12:21 PM   #4534
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
To the issue at hand though, with the CTD when approaching Attu for the 194305NarwAttu mission, I do have a primary "suspect" now, and that is "Jap_CoastalBattery.mis" - but I do not understand the issue, since the crash does NOT happen with a mission that is created with the boat starting in Holtz Bay... The two gun emplacements near there are apparently at issue, so we'll go that route next, and remove guns in the area, one by one now...
Temporary "test fix" is being test-driven by a few folks as we speak, but a permanent "fix" is in the works also. We have plans for a v1.8 release that will have v1.7 plus all "fixes" to date in it. Any additions to the mod will be in a future release. In the meantime, do not attempt any mission Objectives that fall within roughly 24nm of Attu shore installations between July 1942 and June of 1943. If you are in a Narwhal or Nautilus and are assigned the Attu Landings, go sink some ships instead, in any area you desire, but NOT NEAR Attu... The invasion will just have to do without the Scouts for now...

Old 04-19-22, 06:43 PM   #4535
goldmastersims
Bosun

Downloads: 147

My current mission objective gives a crash to desktop upon clicking the map.

I've done 9 patrols so far. Got upgraded to Gato. Currently based of Tulagi.

According to the CareerTrack file, the default objective is ID94. Current objective is ID411, which is a spy insertion mission. Philippines is the patrol area. Both my auto and manual saves crashed to desktop upon clicking the map.

Will changing the objective IDs work around this CTD? Kinda sad that I can't get to try out my new toy...
goldmastersims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-22, 08:10 PM   #4536
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldmastersims View Post

According to the CareerTrack file, the default objective is ID94. Current objective is ID411, which is a spy insertion mission. Philippines is the patrol area. Both my auto and manual saves crashed to desktop upon clicking the map.

Will changing the objective IDs work around this CTD? Kinda sad that I can't get to try out my new toy...
post your playing config.
JSGME-Tasks-Copy-to-Clipboard. then paste here.

also, what is the date when you received your Gato?

LAA enabled
Old 04-19-22, 08:29 PM   #4537
goldmastersims
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
post your playing config.
JSGME-Tasks-Copy-to-Clipboard. then paste here.

also, what is the date when you received your Gato?
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[D:\Silent Hunter 4 FOTRSU\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.7p3
Nihon Kaigun v1.1b
Nippon Maru v1.6c
Combined Roster
Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarters_FOTRSU_v1.7_EN
RWR_APR_Patch
FOTRSU_1.7_SUB_SKINS_IN_4k
SEA_LIFE_SH4_PACIFIC_FOTRSU17
SEA_LIFE_SH4_ATLANTIC_FOTRSU17
301_MoreDifficultAI00
451_TMOstyle_NavMapDots
451a_TMOstyle_NavMapDots for Nippon Maru
451b_TMOstyle_NavMapDots for Nihon Kaigun
801_UMark Invisible
806_PeriscopeSplash
SH3 Tension + SH4 Extended Theme + Vanilla Battle Music

The last mod is just me changing some soundtracks.

I got my Gato on December 11, 1942.
Old 04-19-22, 11:14 PM   #4538
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldmastersims View Post

There might be a couple of things going on here. First of all, the Mission Briefing in the file ~might~ be close to being too long in text length for the Campaign. The file works fine in a SingleMission, but that has different requirements. If you want to, open the "Insertion Spy Philippines 06.tsr" file with a plain text editor and replace the "MissionBriefing=" section with this:
"Your submarine will transport an agent of friendly intelligence service. He is traveling light. Offer all support in the preparation of his mission. Proceed to Cebu Island, Philippines where your passenger will infiltrate enemy territory near Carcar City, south of Cebu City in the Cebu Strait. The secrecy of this mission is of utmost importance. You will have to co-ordinate your approach and egress time to avoid enemy patrols in the area. The operation should only be attempted during dark hours. Be mindful that counter-intelligence activity in the area is high. When in doubt, the safety of your submarine and crew have priority. You are to refrain from normal submarine operations at least 12 hours either side of drop time and at least 24nm away from drop zone. Vacate the area immediately after insertion."
There are no CR/NL characters in that though, so is should be good for the full 1125 characters roughly. The original amount is 1108, and the above is 814. As far as the game is concerned, the less the better...

In the meantime, in your 2nd post there, you show as using Sea Life Pacific and Atlantic both. Only do one or the other, first of all, and 2nd of all, be sure and read update 29.12.21 from vickers03. He recommends not using it in FotRSU there. I do not know if he has updated that stance or the mod yet... The Gato boat itself should be fine, coming online active in March 1942, and on the menu at San Francisco for Spring 1942, Pearl for Middle of 1942 - should not be an issue. I lean more toward the verbosity of the orders... They are "fixed" in the upcoming release, and you might be able to get by with editing the ID for the current assignment, but I'd try changing the orders first.

- I think this is a mission that KaleunMarco found issues with a few weeks ago... or was it torpedobait?... lol

Last edited by propbeanie; 04-19-22 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Alright, which one of youse found it?
Old 04-19-22, 11:57 PM   #4539
goldmastersims
Bosun

Quote:
There might be a couple of things going on here. First of all, the Mission Briefing in the file ~might~ be close to being too long in text length for the Campaign. The file works fine in a SingleMission, but that has different requirements. If you want to, open the "Insertion Spy Philippines 06.tsr" file with a plain text editor and replace the "MissionBriefing=" section with this:
"Your submarine will transport an agent of friendly intelligence service. He is traveling light. Offer all support in the preparation of his mission. Proceed to Cebu Island, Philippines where your passenger will infiltrate enemy territory near Carcar City, south of Cebu City in the Cebu Strait. The secrecy of this mission is of utmost importance. You will have to co-ordinate your approach and egress time to avoid enemy patrols in the area. The operation should only be attempted during dark hours. Be mindful that counter-intelligence activity in the area is high. When in doubt, the safety of your submarine and crew have priority. You are to refrain from normal submarine operations at least 12 hours either side of drop time and at least 24nm away from drop zone. Vacate the area immediately after insertion."
There are no CR/NL characters in that though, so is should be good for the full 1125 characters roughly. The original amount is 1108, and the above is 814. As far as the game is concerned, the less the better...

In the meantime, in your 2nd post there, you show as using Sea Life Pacific and Atlantic both. Only do one or the other, first of all, and 2nd of all, be sure and read update 29.12.21 from vickers03. He recommends not using it in FotRSU there. I do not know if he has updated that stance or the mod yet... The Gato boat itself should be fine, coming online active in March 1942, and on the menu at San Francisco for Spring 1942, Pearl for Middle of 1942 - should not be an issue. I lean more toward the verbosity of the orders... They are "fixed" in the upcoming release, and you might be able to get by with editing the ID for the current assignment, but I'd try changing the orders first.

- I think this is a mission that KaleunMarco found issues with a few weeks ago... or was it torpedobait?... lol
Thank you so much! It works.

Are saves in the next release compatible with 1.7p3 saves?
Old 04-20-22, 07:43 AM   #4540
propbeanie

Most likely not. While we are not adding anything new to the mod, we did change the "Name" of three existing ships to reduce confusion as to what they are when you see their folder names. That move by itself would cause trouble with old Saves, but we also found issues in the submarine upc files which we have fixed. We found a relatively easy way to check all of the MissionBriefings en masse, find the potential offenders and fix them individually, instead of having to go through each file to look. Hebe Vollmaus released mySH3-Tool v2, and it can do campaign file checks for us (with a pinch of a workaround), so we're able to correct old, existing 'speed' issues in the game, where a ship's cfg file says the ship can go a certain speed, while its sim file says otherwise, and then when in a mis file, the game can't decide what to do, so convoy-keeping suffers. It will take a while to wade through the files. All of that together probably ruins backward compatibility again. But with Hebe's help, the mod will be even more stable than it is (other than the propbeanie-induced verbosity)...

When you say "Thank you so much! It works", does that mean that the MissionBriefing edit did the trick, or the ID change, or a mod change?... lol - Definitely glad you are going once again, though!

Old 04-20-22, 11:48 AM   #4541
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Hebe Vollmaus released mySH3-Tool v2, and it can do campaign file checks for us (with a pinch of a workaround)
thank you for this!!!
i was unaware that the Hebe had updated the toolkit (and in 2016!!!).
i was using a previous version.
i just took it for a test spin vs Dark Waters which i had previously checked and cured but V2 checks so much more. Now i have more errors to find and fix.

LAA enabled
Old 04-20-22, 12:39 PM   #4542
propbeanie

To do mis file checks, you need to place an SH3.exe file in the SH4 folder. Do NOT attempt to run the SH4 game like that though - it will crash when it apparently attempts to load the SH3 file... - no need to ask me how I know this. Just use your imagination...

When you go to use the Mis2Csv function, you will need to add a "Title=" line to the mis file. Just use an SH3 campaign mis file as your example for what is missing in the "header" of an SH4 file, to make it look like an SH3 file. Your results will be similarly cryptic what you find with other aspects of mySH3-Tool, but you will get used to that... lol - Since Hebe uses a CSV file, you can open them in a spreadsheet app, and sort to your heart's content and find out all sorts of little tidbits of info...

One other thing about mySH3-Tool, is that it is a lot like TDW's SH Validator, in that it has one "path" structure, and that is "Campaigns / Campaign", so if you go to check the German side of the SH4 game, you will need to re-structure the files and paths to fit the SH3 or SH4 v1.4 folder structure. ie: like when using TDW's tool for the German side, rename the current "Campaign" folder to something like "CampaignUS", which will then allow you to change the "CampaignGE" folder to "Campaign" so that it will be "Searched". In addition though, you'll need to copy and paste the "CampaignData files directly into the "Campaign" folder, so that the structure is like the US Pacific side of the game... Once you are finished with checks and edits, put things back the way you found them... Piece of cake!

Of primary importance though, prior to starting the Campaign check, you do need to match the sim and cfg file "MaxSpeed" entries, which is a function that can be done prior to doing and folder alterations. Cool stuff Hebe did. s7rikeback is the one who asked Hebe a question, which led to Hebe doing v1.9, and he just keeps improving the functionality.

Old 04-23-22, 10:04 PM   #4543
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Default At Home Base but Cannot Dock

hey pb, what's up with this?

driving a Narwhal, formerly out of Pearl.
on the RTB, i noticed that the Home Base had changed from Pearl to Darwin, so we changed course and headed to Australia. when we got there, we could refit but not end the mission.
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisoft\FOTRSU\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.7p3
399_NoScrollNavMap
400_Nihon Kaigun v1.1b
410_Nippon Maru v1.6c
420_Combined Roster
900_jimimadrid Torpedos

p.s. i shut down SH4 to let it think on its sins.
fired it up just now and Home Base has moved from Darwin to Pearl Harbor. (???)
so, we shoved off to head to Pearl and......CTD.

LAA enabled

Last edited by KaleunMarco; 04-24-22 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-24-22, 04:07 AM   #4544
TMS
Nub

Downloads: 132

What about the cachalot? When I look at the boat in the museum, it's a Twin Gun Boat. But in the single missions or in the campaign it's a single gun boat. Is it correct that way?
TMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-22, 09:00 AM   #4545
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

TMS!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote