SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-21-21, 10:39 PM   #3781
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
I appreciate the humor, but I have to tell you that our family love the Dutch. Their respect and reverence for our dead who helped liberate them in WWII knows no bounds. My wife's uncle served in Easy Company of HBO fame, and was killed in the battle of the Crossroads near Heteren. He is buried at Margraten. His grave was adopted by a Dutch family who are now part of our family. They care for his grave, visit regularly, and attend the formal memorial services. We treasure our relationship with them and all the Dutch. There are over 8,000 American dead at Margraten, and every single one has been adopted by a Dutch family. There are waiting lists for people who want to do the same.

Like I said, I understand you posted in humor, and am not offended - I just wanted to point out our view of the Dutch.

Good sailing, KM!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-21, 08:22 PM   #3782
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

Anyone tried ramming the Dutchman?
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-21, 11:29 PM   #3783
Comder
Commander

Downloads: 83

Good Evening Gentlemen,

I did when I first found her a while ago. Since she is a Ghost ship, you pass strait through her. That felt weird. lol

Thanks

Comder

Asus ROG Strix Scar G732LXS-XS99
I9 10th GEN, 32gb MEM, RX2080 8GB nvidia, 2TB SSD
Windows 10 Pro

Warship? What warship?
Comder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-21, 07:11 AM   #3784
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
I appreciate the humor, but I have to tell you that our family love the Dutch.

Like I said, I understand you posted in humor, and am not offended - I just wanted to point out our view of the Dutch.

Good sailing, KM!
the post was totally humor.
the scene, in the movie, is so ironic that it is truly ludicrous.
if you have not watched AP3, you should. my kids forced me to watch it because i had not seen any of them and i laughed from stem to stern.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-21, 04:17 PM   #3785
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
the post was totally humor.
the scene, in the movie, is so ironic that it is truly ludicrous.
if you have not watched AP3, you should. my kids forced me to watch it because i had not seen any of them and i laughed from stem to stern.
Help me out, KM - what is "AP3"? I don't get out much, obviously! I think the last time I went to a movie was to see "Fury". Sigh.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-21, 06:31 PM   #3786
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
Help me out, KM - what is "AP3"? I don't get out much, obviously! I think the last time I went to a movie was to see "Fury". Sigh.
Austin Powers 3 aka Goldmember. Very Sophomoric but funny as hell. then...go back and watch the first two. I LOVE Fat Bastard. i have to stop now or i will embarrass myself.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0295178/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-21, 09:22 AM   #3787
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DarkWolf2 View Post
... I've been playing Fotrsu for a few weeks now and have had a couple instances of getting damaged while underwater by seemingly nothing...
Let's re-visit this again. If you're still wondering 2DarkWolf2, this can also occur after Saving a game. I had forgotten about this scenario until yesterday, while testing a new mission / War Patrol for the next release. To summarize, I had obtained a couple of sonar contacts while on the surface in the middle of a heavy storm, with very limited visibility. After chasing the contacts for a bit, it was determined that there were no warships with them, so we stayed on the surface for the chase & attack. Our boat did not have radar, so we had no way to determine range, but going by a sonar range ping, we were somewhere around 1200 yards off their port bows, so we turned toward them to shoot torpedoes. While turning, we got a report from the Watch of "Ship spotted! Bearing 355 close range!" and with that, I could see gun flashes through the rain while on the bridge. Crash dive was ordered, but we were in so close, they couldn't help but hit us once before we got under. As we're going under, of course, a huge explosion is heard and "We're taking damage, sir!" and the usual water spraying sound. At PD and after firing at the first ship's shadow in the rain (the 2nd was still not visible), we went and checked damages. The after torpedo room was compromised with bulkhead damage and flooding, all crew members wounded, some worse than others, but none "dead". We were still able to maintain depth just fine, so we attacked the 2nd ship then, which had turned to run away. We surfaced to chase from a "safe" distance this time, and put the damage control team to work. After finishing off the 2nd merchant, we continued on our journey to the assigned patrol area, still making repairs and patching the holes, dressing the wounded, etc. or whatever it is that the game simulates. Hours later, RL calls and I have to leave the game and do RL stuff, but repairs are not completed, and the wounded are still in that state. But I Saved the game and exited. Several hours later, RL attended to and I have time to "test" further, I reload that Saved game. Upon entering the game, I hear a huge explosion, like a shell had just hit our boat, and as I move to the exterior view (I am "testing", after all ), I see a huge plume of flame and smoke off the aft of the boat, and then smoke and steam from the after quarters, along with the earlier "We're taking damage, sir!" message. We had 100% of the same previous damage when the merchant first holed us. All of the "wounded" were injured at the same level as when the shell first hit. That is the game mechanics. If your boat has damage, or you have wounded, no matter how far along the "repair" cycle you might be, if it is not completely repaired, you will have that same damage when you re-enter the game. In my case, the bulkhead and leaks showed as a four hour repair time, and I had to leave after only two hour's worth was completed, When I re-entered the game, I was back to the same four hours time frame. The wounded were the same way, only it takes days for them to recover, and they sometimes do not make it back. Leave it to me though, to turn a short story long...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-21, 04:06 PM   #3788
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Let's re-visit this again. If you're still wondering 2DarkWolf2, this can also occur after Saving a game. I had forgotten about this scenario until yesterday, while testing a new mission / War Patrol for the next release. To summarize, I had obtained a couple of sonar contacts while on the surface in the middle of a heavy storm, with very limited visibility. After chasing the contacts for a bit, it was determined that there were no warships with them, so we stayed on the surface for the chase & attack. Our boat did not have radar, so we had no way to determine range, but going by a sonar range ping, we were somewhere around 1200 yards off their port bows, so we turned toward them to shoot torpedoes. While turning, we got a report from the Watch of "Ship spotted! Bearing 355 close range!" and with that, I could see gun flashes through the rain while on the bridge. Crash dive was ordered, but we were in so close, they couldn't help but hit us once before we got under. As we're going under, of course, a huge explosion is heard and "We're taking damage, sir!" and the usual water spraying sound. At PD and after firing at the first ship's shadow in the rain (the 2nd was still not visible), we went and checked damages. The after torpedo room was compromised with bulkhead damage and flooding, all crew members wounded, some worse than others, but none "dead". We were still able to maintain depth just fine, so we attacked the 2nd ship then, which had turned to run away. We surfaced to chase from a "safe" distance this time, and put the damage control team to work. After finishing off the 2nd merchant, we continued on our journey to the assigned patrol area, still making repairs and patching the holes, dressing the wounded, etc. or whatever it is that the game simulates. Hours later, RL calls and I have to leave the game and do RL stuff, but repairs are not completed, and the wounded are still in that state. But I Saved the game and exited. Several hours later, RL attended to and I have time to "test" further, I reload that Saved game. Upon entering the game, I hear a huge explosion, like a shell had just hit our boat, and as I move to the exterior view (I am "testing", after all ), I see a huge plume of flame and smoke off the aft of the boat, and then smoke and steam from the after quarters, along with the earlier "We're taking damage, sir!" message. We had 100% of the same previous damage when the merchant first holed us. All of the "wounded" were injured at the same level as when the shell first hit. That is the game mechanics. If your boat has damage, or you have wounded, no matter how far along the "repair" cycle you might be, if it is not completely repaired, you will have that same damage when you re-enter the game. In my case, the bulkhead and leaks showed as a four hour repair time, and I had to leave after only two hour's worth was completed, When I re-entered the game, I was back to the same four hours time frame. The wounded were the same way, only it takes days for them to recover, and they sometimes do not make it back. Leave it to me though, to turn a short story long...
+1 propbeanie...

Is also a point I made right after 2DarkWolf2's post... among a couple of other instances of possibilities...

M. M.

Old 08-25-21, 06:06 PM   #3789
SirMoric
Seaman

Downloads: 32

Thank you so much for this mod.

Even though I had a little problem with a corrupted save in my first game, I got a second one up and running.

Just normal mode with some 88% "realism".

Simply love this. Though it does seem rather easy sinking ships once you get an idea of how the manual targetting works.

Last game I sank Hiruy, a Myoko class cruiser, along with 3 tankers, totalling some 63.000 tonnes. All added up, in the course of a year I'm totalling 193.000 tonnes.

That said, I'm being very cautious.... usually only one run at groups with destroyers protecting, and a lot of periscope depth when inside known air cover.

I just got the Gato.... which is my second upgrade from the original S-class I started out with.

Once again, thanks a lot for the mod, simply love it.
SirMoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-21, 11:24 AM   #3790
propbeanie

Glad you like it! Just remember that airplanes can see you below the surface down to as deep as 120-160, if they come in at the proper angle. Of course, use of the SD (the <T> key) and SJ (<Ctrl><T> combo) on the surface can cover a much larger area. Remember the Patrol Report endorsements most skippers got criticised them for being submerged too much... Plus JANAC took away 50-60% of their tonnage... - Don't forget about the AddInModzPak_1.46_v2, especially if looking for slightly more difficult AI

Old 08-27-21, 06:43 PM   #3791
Michael Wood
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 314
Default Ranks and Radar

Was surprised to see the first two enlisted ranks had LevelUp= Base, instead of LevelUp= Free in the Ranks.UPC file. Thought the mod used the latter, which is better.

After two patrols in the S-38, was surprised to find that SJ radar was available in March 1942 at Perth. Thought that came out in June 1942.

This build fairly stable. I have experienced no CDT.
Michael Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-21, 08:47 AM   #3792
Arlo
The Old Man

Downloads: 214

Quote:
i have to stop now or i will embarrass myself.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0295178/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
For just a second I read that as 'embrace myself.'
Old 08-28-21, 08:57 AM   #3793
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wood View Post
Was surprised to see the first two enlisted ranks had LevelUp= Base, instead of LevelUp= Free in the Ranks.UPC file. Thought the mod used the latter, which is better.

After two patrols in the S-38, was surprised to find that SJ radar was available in March 1942 at Perth. Thought that came out in June 1942.

This build fairly stable. I have experienced no CDT.
We hadn't changed the Base vs Free purposefully... I wonder if it rides along with the RUIM adaptation? I'll look into that. (Edit: The deed is done. First three ranks are now ala TMO and "Free".) The early SJ purchase-ability is back on some of the boats. The June date is for the no renown cost, or "free" option. Given time, we might flip those dates around the other way and make the purchase option start in June 42, but as an add-in. Very low on the to-do list though.

Last edited by propbeanie; 08-28-21 at 03:32 PM. Reason: The deed is done in The Rue Morgue...
Old 08-29-21, 01:44 AM   #3794
Niume
Sea Lord

Downloads: 499

What environmental mods are used in FOTRS?

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

[ENG] SH 4 KSD II Ace Edition
Niume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-21, 02:19 PM   #3795
Niume
Sea Lord

Downloads: 499

Why Narwhal model is missing?

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

[ENG] SH 4 KSD II Ace Edition
Niume is offline   Reply With Quote