SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-15-13, 07:02 AM   #46
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

There is a new official trailer out. By what it shows I could imagine that the steep turns (don't know how they are called in English) in Monza are to be released next. I am no Monza fan myself, I'd prefer to get Mugello and/or Nürburg first.

Since it is announced as a separate DLC (free for early access customers), I fear my beloved Spa comes last. No track there is that I have collected more rounds on.
Old 11-15-13, 07:14 AM   #47
Lionclaw
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

They're called banked turns.
Lionclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-13, 07:52 AM   #48
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Steady, Sky, you don't want them to rush S-F and have errors, you want it perfect - which takes time.

I'd appreciate some opposition for the tracks I've already got before any more tracks.

And why do people who put videos on YouTube insist on having the view 20 feet behind the car, in Burnout it may be fine but for a sim over arcade surely it defeats the object.
Old 11-15-13, 11:37 AM   #49
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
I just looked up WRC4, and found three German reviews, all of them rating it mediocre only - while not directly comparing it to AC. I am pretty confident that AC sinks WRC4 both in the visual and driving department. The videos I saw on WRC also do not convince me. And I could swear the tracks are somewhat repetitive, in parts.

Last rally sim I used was Richard Burns. Now AC makes me think of RBR as tiny toy cars made by Matchbox, being thrown around on the carpet. And I once belonged to those hailing RBR's physics!

What I mean is this: you want AC first!

Ok, well here's the thing. In terms of driving, driving on a track vs driving on dirt, gravel is very different. There's things that you can do in a rally car that you couldn't do in a racing car and vice versa. Also I think that rallying is much more challenging the regular racing. With rallying you have to deal with the elements far more then in regular racing. As for looks, I really don't care that much about how a game looks.
Now as for comparing games, I own Race 07 and I am very confident that AC would trounce Race 07 in every way, in particular car handling (only yesterday I tried to drive the classic Mini Cooper S with the traction control off, bad idea!!). As for rally games I've played Sega Rally Revo and in this case WRC 4 would trounce SRR in every aspect, in particular number of tracks and cars. Trying to compare a regular racing game to that of a rally game is like trying to compare the cars of each game. Most rally cars you could take out of the mud and muck and with a few changes could use them on a track as most are toughened up street cars. Now if you tried to take most of the cars used in regular racing off the track and into the mud and muck it wouldn't totally work because most race cars are built for the track and nothing else with the exception of some cars that can make the crossover quite well like the Fiat 500 and the BMW Mini.
Old 11-15-13, 11:47 AM   #50
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kptlt. Hellmut Neuerburg View Post
Now if you tried to take most of the cars used in regular racing off the track and into the mud and muck it wouldn't totally work because most race cars are built for the track and nothing else with the exception of some cars that can make the crossover quite well like the Fiat 500 and the BMW Mini.
Old 11-15-13, 11:55 AM   #51
Skybird
Soaring

I did not compare rally and track racing, I said that in comparison to the physics in AC the cars in RBR now feel like light miniature toy-cars I used to play with as a little boy. Too little feeling of mass. Weight. G-forces.

I know only RBR, and before that, CMR 1+2, many years ago. WRC I do not know, I refered to videos and what I read. The few reviews and feedbacks I quickly flew over, were not enthusiastic.

Anyhow, everyone to his liking. Just saying that the physics and the simulation aspects as well as the visuals in AC deliver. Fully. The virtual experience is the closest to real life that I have ever sensed in any racing game and sim.
Old 11-15-13, 12:02 PM   #52
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Ok now that's cool. But I don't think the Red Bull boss would of let the driver of that F1 car go full throttle on only racing slicks.
Old 11-15-13, 12:07 PM   #53
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

But if any team boss would, it's Red Bull's. Off road, ice floes, through the streets of Milton Keynes and New York (and obviously Austin), amongst others.

I'm only surprised they haven't tried it on Coniston Water yet! (Bluebird reference)
Old 11-15-13, 12:12 PM   #54
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
But if any team boss would, it's Red Bull's. Off road, ice floes, through the streets of Milton Keynes and New York (and obviously Austin), amongst others.

I'm only surprised they haven't tried it on Coniston Water yet! (Bluebird reference)
Your probably right there. I wonder if Red Bull owns an Icelandic Buggy or a snowmobile ? @Skybird Its fine, you where comparing with what you've had experience with. Chances are when I get AC and WRC 4 I'll compare them to Race 07 and Sega Rally Revo.
Old 11-15-13, 12:45 PM   #55
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kptlt. Hellmut Neuerburg View Post
Ok now that's cool. But I don't think the Red Bull boss would of let the driver of that F1 car go full throttle on only racing slicks.
F1...?

You probably mean the Formula Abarth. That is one of the slowest and lowest class formula classes there is, or even the slowest of them all, I'm not certain. Entry level for drivers making the jump from non-formula to formula racing.

Anyhow, I trust in Kunos that they know especially that car better than most if not all others. They're working close with and to the Abarth team - in the same housing.
Old 11-15-13, 01:03 PM   #56
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
F1...?

You probably mean the Formula Abarth. That is one of the slowest and lowest class formula classes there is, or even the slowest of them all, I'm not certain. Entry level for drivers making the jump from non-formula to formula racing.

Anyhow, I trust in Kunos that they know especially that car better than most if not all others. They're working close with and to the Abarth team - in the same housing.
I think you got confused here, the F1 I was referring to was the Red Bull Formula 1 car that was the in video Herr-B linked, I wasn't referring to anything in AC itself.
Old 11-15-13, 01:12 PM   #57
Skybird
Soaring

Ah! One unsolved mystery less in the world.
Old 11-16-13, 05:06 AM   #58
Skybird
Soaring

I learned about the photo-app that you can unlock when enabling developer's tools in the config. Wowh, that is a powerful tool! Try it! Total control over angles, view, focus, colours, lights and shadows, time of day.
Old 11-18-13, 05:56 PM   #59
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Default Lincolnshire Police ARV

Well I sussed the .DDS config, and after only once saving the image upside-down which gave a whacky result I'm nearly there.

Now I've seen it in the (virtual) flesh rather than just a photoshop template I can see what needs tweaking - darken the blue lines and wording, line up the chequers and the jam sandwich on the doors. I may change it to Humberside Police as it's more in keeping with their colours.

Any other constructive criticism here would be helpful.
Old 11-18-13, 05:58 PM   #60
Skybird
Soaring

I take it that you painted it...!?