Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 02-28-11, 12:09 AM   #1
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81
Uploads: 0
Default B-17: The Mighty Eighth

Anybody else play this game? I just dug it up from my folder of old games, and reinstalling it. Anybody know of any mods, patches, etc for it?

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-11, 12:22 AM   #2
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Woohoo...

http://www.bombs-away.net/forums/vie...8b57ffb518aae9

Old 03-07-11, 05:57 AM   #3
smithcorp
Bosun

Downloads: 27

Great game and one that, in my view, deserves classic status. I'm still playing it from time to time on Vista 32 (it looks quite good on a modern system) and the flak sounds are excellent.

Neat sim and I'm glad bombs-away is still there as a resource.
smithcorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-11, 10:28 PM   #4
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

I'm running into the same issues I had when I first bought the game.... flying the stupid thing... the controls are not intuitive. Although, I remember learning the Nordon bombsight to be very easy and intuitive. Easy enough that I thought if the real thing was similar, I would be able to run one.

Old 03-16-11, 03:45 PM   #5
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

What I remember most about the flight aspect was the aircraft would slowly decend if you had one engine out. I would make it to the channel and eventually have to ditch.

Any of the mods on the site link above worth looking into?
Old 03-17-11, 12:22 AM   #6
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

From what I've been reading, and I haven't played with the mods yet though, is that it creates a true flight sim for the B17. The physics may not be there, they probably sue the same flight-engine, but apparently they modeled the hell out of the 4 plane engines. As in you need to tweak oil pressures and inter-coolers levels during flight.

Seems very much like a GWX type situation occurred. They even released it as the 2.0 patch.

I' have been busy with other things, But I'm going to dive into that one shortly.

Old 08-08-11, 11:43 PM   #7
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 142

I'm thinking about reinstalling this classic on my new rig. I checked out the Bombs Away site, but can't seem to find a way to register. I have some questions I'd like to ask over there, but can't if I'm not registred
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-11, 05:45 AM   #8
Valantine
Planesman

Downloads: 22

The forums went down about 12-18 months ago, when they finally came back online the forums have limited functionality, they'd lost their layout, graphics etc.

It doesn't help that it's a very old and dying board over there with the site owner Darren being seen only sporadically since 2006.

I presume they closed registrations due to the amount of spam they started to get back in Dec 2010 / January 2011.

The best bet if you wanted to fire up this old thing is to visit Doc's mod page:

http://www.angelfire.com/fl5/bombardier/help_links.htm

As for discussing things with people you'll be hard pressed since it is rarely posted in anymore and has an active membership that only just scrapes into double digits now. Which is a shame as it was once a very bustling and popular site.
V

ARMA 3 Co-Op Battalion Recruiting Worldwide
http://www.iijg53.com
Valantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-11, 07:47 AM   #9
Fish40
The Old Man

Thanks Valantine. It is a shame that the site drifted away like that. I did manage to visit Doc's Modpage. Lots of good stuff there! I already D/L some stuff, plus the OMF Mod Utility (Hope I could get that thing to work). We'll see how it goes.
Old 08-09-11, 08:04 PM   #10
Valantine
Planesman

The manual for the OMF was pretty comprehensive, the downlaod for that shoudl be over at Doc's site somewhere too.
I'd love to help you out more but it's been a long time since I last messed about with the mighty eighth, I occasionally get nostalgic and want to fire it up again then I think of what it would look like now compared to more modern titles and think better of it.
If I may ask, what is it that is drawing you to B17:TME? There are other options for certain attractions although for some others there are not.
V

Old 08-09-11, 10:36 PM   #11
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54

I still have this game and still play it now and then, it was my second combat flight sim that I bought(the first happend to be Red Baron 3D). The things that I liked about the game was the fact that you could pick what squadron to fly in, what bomber you be assigned to, and what part of the crew you would be.

Normally I would alway be the bombadier of the lead bomber so I could pick the targets, bomb loads, ect. Other things that I liked about the game where things such as crew management, raido chatter between the bomber crew members and to other bombers in the group, the ablity to switch postions with-in the bomber(both physiclly and just clicking on a crew member to play as them while still in the mission), gun jamming, running out of ammo, giving basic medial treatment to a wounded crew member, the list goes on and on.

I think my best and worst memory that I gave of this game was during a fighter attack my rear gunner was badly wounded so-much-so that basic medical treatment was ineffective so I had to spend 4-5 hours in real time listening to a dying crewmen moaning and groaning in the back of my B-17. I couldn't play the game for a week afterwards becasue of this.
Old 08-10-11, 08:35 AM   #12
Fish40
The Old Man

Yes, the game could get very immersive like that! I guess the main reason I would like to reinstall it is because to my knowlege it is the only true bomber sim around. I also have IL2 1946 with the U.P. mod installed, and have D/L some player developed bomber campaigns to make use of the flyable B17 and B24, and they're good, but these are after thoughts. The game wasn't developed to be a bomber sim. Yes, the graphics are dated (I don't think they're that bad) when compared to newer programs, especially COD. I also play BOB2WOV. Those are dated graphics as well, but those guys have done wonders with that sim. From mid to high altitudes, (that's where you're fighting anyway) the landscape looks great IMO. For offline campaign playing this sim can't be beat for it's representation of the massive air battles over England in 1940.
Old 08-10-11, 09:02 AM   #13
Valantine
Planesman

I have to say, I do agree with you both there. I was just intrigued that all

I found myself going back to it quite a bit a few years back for the very same reasons: more the crew and Squadron management stuff than the actual flying of it, it's something that has been sorely lacking in flight sims of late.

I know it's a bit of a plug but here it goes:

At JG53 we have recently started up a bomber section flying the JU88 in an Online CO-OP campaign and to be frank, we need some bomber pilots to flesh it out as at present we only have a couple of chaps flying the bombers, normally flying in the lead aircraft with two AI "ketten" mates since the AI doa better job when led by a human pilot, however with limited numbers in our bomber section our bomber streams tend to be quite small strategic affairs at present.
Whilst not in the same vein as B17:TME we do have a squadron structure, medals and awards and each pilots statistics are fully tracked throughout the war. So please, have a poke around the website: www.iijg53.com and consider if that's something that appeals to you.

Now, plug over and back onto B17:

Over on Doc's site there are a few graphical tweaks, there was another website by GT that was more focused on this area but I can't seem to find it at the moment it was possibly on geocities if so it would be lost. However if you can find it there was an attempt to improve the graphics substantially.

The other thing I;d say is grab the Hex editor as a LOT of the files can be tweaked and editted with that giving you a little mroe control over how exactly you want thigns to perform.
V

Old 08-10-11, 03:20 PM   #14
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Here's wishing for someone to make a proper successor to the B-17 series.

(no, not you Ubi, go away )
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-11, 06:15 PM   #15
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
Here's wishing for someone to make a proper successor to the B-17 series.

(no, not you Ubi, go away )
It would be amazing if someone did a re-vamp of B-17 The Mighty Eighth, maybe the same company that made BOBII:WoV?