SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-29-22, 07:26 PM   #1
prozac919
Sailor man

Downloads: 47
Uploads: 0
Default OKane method not working for me

So I have watched a couple of tutorial videos. I set up about 1000 yds off to the 90 degrees of the target. I set angle of bow 15 degrees off (075 Starboard or port depending on left to right or vice versa). I set the range to max. I also spend time ahead of time timing 3 minutes for speed (divide the distance traveled by 1000 to get the speed in knots for imperial units). However, then the target has reached that magic 345 or 015 bearing, I fire the torpedos. they run great for about 300' and then take a sharp 30 degree turn and either go way in front of or behind the target to a miss. I also double click the setup to the TDC ahead of time. Any idea what I am messing up? I have tried this with both PK off (and on when I got frustrated). I am using FOTRSU v1.8
prozac919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-22, 03:54 AM   #2
maillemaker
Sea Lord

Downloads: 75

With a 90 degree attack, that is, your sub is crossing the target course at 90 degrees, your AOB should be set to 90 degrees.

First, set your scope at bearing 000. If your sub is to the right of the enemy's course, then you use 90 AOB starboard. If your sub is to the left of the enemy's course, then you use 90 AOB port.

Then, turn your periscope from 000 towards the target until your gyro angles read zero. If they go the wrong way, you have your AOB set to port when it should be starboard, or vice versa.

You should have to "lead the target" about 10-15 degrees away from 000 with gyro angle zero, depending on the speed setting for your torpedo.

Your torpedoes should not turn at all, as you are shooting with gyro angle zero.

Range to target is irrelevant with this attack method. Only speed matters.
maillemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-22, 07:28 AM   #3
ElCid97
Gunner

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 5

Make sure the red button on the TDC (Left Side) is turned off. I made that mistake MANY times before I finally figured out I had to make sure the PK (Position Keeper) was turned off.

As long as it's dark, you're fine to continue the rest of the procedures.

ElCid97
ElCid97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-22, 01:35 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

How are you making out with it prozac919? Do you automatic or manual targeting enabled in the Options menu? Don't forget that there are two places to select that. In the Multi-Player, Single Missions, Submarine School and War Patrol menu items, you use the Main Menu's "Options" menu, "Gameplay Settings" for your choices, of which all use those settings until you change them. When doing a Career, there is another "Options" menu with "Gameplay Settings", and each career can have different settings. In the US boats, in the on shore Captain's Office between patrols, click on the wooden radio console to the left of your view at the desk. In the German career, click on the File Cabinet next to the Exit door, and you'll see the 2nd drawer down slide open and then take you do the Options menu. In both case, choose the "Gameplay Settings" and select what you want.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-23, 10:13 AM   #5
prozac919
Sailor man

Downloads: 47

I think the mistake I am making is I am setting the scope 15 degrees off when I put in all of the settings. I will try this again with the scope at 360/000 before I input AOB and target speed. btw, when I set the scope to 000 do I need to press anything other than the triangle on the target speed, range, and AOB input?

The the post above, I do have manual set for torpedo input. The only auto input I use is to have the crew identify the target ship when I have it in the TDC or periscope. I am currently reading Admiral Eugene Flucky's book THUNDER BELOW. He would always yell out what he saw and another crew member would identify it : "Angled bow, forward mast, island, funnel, rear mast, rear gun." So with this in mind, I have no problem using the crew ID target function on the periscope menu. This book has also taught me five ships sunk on a patrol was above average. Five ships was his goal and he met it every time except his last patrol when there wasn't a whole lot of shipping left to sink. Then he focused his attacks on land-based targets using his deck gun or a raiding party in one case to sabotage a rail line.

Last edited by prozac919; 01-01-23 at 10:24 AM.
prozac919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-23, 12:51 PM   #6
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Yes. Set-up on the "zero" (the torpedo-meeting-ship point), then aim where you will shoot from.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-23, 07:21 PM   #7
Ulex
Nub

Downloads: 18

Set up your TDC as if you were shooting at at stationary target right in front of you. Set it at 0 angle and and 0 knots. That's all.

Now, wait till your target reaches the correct angle in your periscope and fire. It always works for me.
Ulex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-23, 09:20 PM   #8
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Ulex!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-23, 12:34 PM   #9
maillemaker
Sea Lord

Downloads: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulex View Post
Set up your TDC as if you were shooting at at stationary target right in front of you. Set it at 0 angle and and 0 knots. That's all.

Now, wait till your target reaches the correct angle in your periscope and fire. It always works for me.

If you do this, then how do you know what angle to shoot left or right to hit an oncoming moving target?

The 90 degree attack method is easy:
1) Determine target speed. If you have map contacts turned on it's pretty easy - observe the target and put a tick mark on it. Wait 3 minutes 15 seconds and place another tick mark on it. Draw a line between the tick marks. The length in meters is the speed in knots. If the distance is 600m then the speed is 6 knots.

Another way is to use the vertical scope reticle. With your uboat stationary (or pointing directly at the target if not stationary), position the vertical reticle on the nose of the target. Start the stopwatch. Time the amount of time it takes for the stern of the target to cross the reticle. There is then a formula to use with the time and the ship's length (from the recognition manual) you can use to determine the target speed. I don't remember the formula offhand.

2) Set your sub on a 90 degree intercept with the target course.
3) Set your scope to bearing 000.

4) Turn on the TDC to accept user input.
5) Enter the target speed into the TDC.
6) Set the AOB on the TDC to either 90 degrees Port or Starboard. If your sub is to the left of the target course, set to 90 degrees Port. If your sub is to the right of the target course, set to 90 degrees Starboard.
7) Turn off TDC input.
9) Turn your periscope away from 000 towards the target until the gyro angle reads zero. You should hit gyro angle zero about 10 - 25 degrees away from 000, depending on target speed and torpedo speed setting.

If your gyro angle won't head towards zero as you turn your periscope towards the target, you have your AOB set backwards (Port vs. Starboard).

Once your scope is set at zero gyro angle, just wait for the target to sail across your vertical reticle and fire. If your target speed calculation was accurate, you can specifically target portions of the ship by firing when the reticle crosses that part of the ship. This assumes your target doesn't get spooked and start changing course/speed, of course.
maillemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-23, 01:30 PM   #10
Ulex
Nub

Downloads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by maillemaker View Post
If you do this, then how do you know what angle to shoot left or right to hit an oncoming moving target?

The 90 degree attack method is easy:
1) Determine target speed. If you have map contacts turned on it's pretty easy - observe the target and put a tick mark on it. Wait 3 minutes 15 seconds and place another tick mark on it. Draw a line between the tick marks. The length in meters is the speed in knots. If the distance is 600m then the speed is 6 knots.

Another way is to use the vertical scope reticle. With your uboat stationary (or pointing directly at the target if not stationary), position the vertical reticle on the nose of the target. Start the stopwatch. Time the amount of time it takes for the stern of the target to cross the reticle. There is then a formula to use with the time and the ship's length (from the recognition manual) you can use to determine the target speed. I don't remember the formula offhand.

2) Set your sub on a 90 degree intercept with the target course.
3) Set your scope to bearing 000.

4) Turn on the TDC to accept user input.
5) Enter the target speed into the TDC.
6) Set the AOB on the TDC to either 90 degrees Port or Starboard. If your sub is to the left of the target course, set to 90 degrees Port. If your sub is to the right of the target course, set to 90 degrees Starboard.
7) Turn off TDC input.
9) Turn your periscope away from 000 towards the target until the gyro angle reads zero. You should hit gyro angle zero about 10 - 25 degrees away from 000, depending on target speed and torpedo speed setting.

If your gyro angle won't head towards zero as you turn your periscope towards the target, you have your AOB set backwards (Port vs. Starboard).

Once your scope is set at zero gyro angle, just wait for the target to sail across your vertical reticle and fire. If your target speed calculation was accurate, you can specifically target portions of the ship by firing when the reticle crosses that part of the ship. This assumes your target doesn't get spooked and start changing course/speed, of course.
My method is more simple, but ofcause you need to calculate target speed beforehand. What I meant to say is that you don't need to compute speed nor AOB into your TDC. You just make sure your torpedo will run straight ahead in a zero degree angle.

Once you have done the calculations regarding target speed, you just move your periscope to the correct angle, left or right, and shoot once the target is in the crosshair. My method is simpler than RockingRobbins, and it works!
Ulex is offline   Reply With Quote