SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-30-22, 04:30 PM   #1
orcisaac
Swabbie

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0
Default Deck Gun Stuck

Hi all. I am very new to silent hunter and have started with Silent Hunter 4 with some mods i saw Wolfpack using. So far everything seems good except when i go to use the deck gun it does not pan left, right or increase or decrease elevation. Any idea what the problem is?
orcisaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-22, 05:27 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcisaac View Post
Hi all. I am very new to silent hunter and have started with Silent Hunter 4 with some mods i saw Wolfpack using. So far everything seems good except when i go to use the deck gun it does not pan left, right or increase or decrease elevation. Any idea what the problem is?
some questions:
in which folder is SH4 installed?
actually, rather than run down a litany of questions, have you read through the excellent newbie guide that Berbster documented?
then there is Onkel Neal's thread?

also, when posting a question with a game issue, it is best if you paste in your JSGME mod list.
if you are not using JSGME, that could be your first problem.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-22, 05:44 PM   #3
orcisaac
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
some questions:
in which folder is SH4 installed?
actually, rather than run down a litany of questions, have you read through the excellent newbie guide that Berbster documented?
then there is Onkel Neal's thread?

also, when posting a question with a game issue, it is best if you paste in your JSGME mod list.
if you are not using JSGME, that could be your first problem.

Thank you i will check that out. My mods are below. And yes i am using JSGME. Also i have it installed on an external drive that is mapped as such ->D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Silent Hunters wolves of the pacific

[DEPENDANCIES]
100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.8="FI-OQ_FotRSU_v1.8f_upcPatch""Nippon_Maru_v1.9b_FotRSU ""451a_TMOstyle_NavMapDots_Nippon_Maru""Combin ed Roster""Nihon Kaigun v1.3_FotRSU""Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarters_FOTRSU_v1.7_EN""451b_TMOstyle_Na vMapDots_Nihon_Kaigun"
Nippon_Maru_v1.9b_FotRSU="451a_TMOstyle_NavMapDots _Nippon_Maru""Combined Roster""Nihon Kaigun v1.3_FotRSU""Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarters_FOTRSU_v1.7_EN"
Combined Roster="Nihon Kaigun v1.3_FotRSU""Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarters_FOTRSU_v1.7_EN"
FI-OQ_FotRSU_v1.8f_upcPatch="Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarters_FOTRSU_v1.7_EN"
Nihon Kaigun v1.3_FotRSU="Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarters_FOTRSU_v1.7_EN""451b_TMOstyle_Na vMapDots_Nihon_Kaigun"
[MODS]
100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.8=1
FI-OQ_FotRSU_v1.8f_upcPatch=2
Nippon_Maru_v1.9b_FotRSU=3
451a_TMOstyle_NavMapDots_Nippon_Maru=4
Combined Roster=5
Nihon Kaigun v1.3_FotRSU=6
Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarters_FOTRSU_v1.7_EN=7
451b_TMOstyle_NavMapDots_Nihon_Kaigun=8
Old 12-30-22, 09:36 PM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

orcisaac!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-22, 01:25 PM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcisaac View Post
Thank you i will check that out. My mods are below. And yes i am using JSGME. Also i have it installed on an external drive that is mapped as such ->D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Silent Hunters wolves of the pacific

[DEPENDANCIES]
100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.8="FI-OQ_FotRSU_v1.8f_upcPatch""Nippon_Maru_v1.9b_FotRSU ""451a_TMOstyle_NavMapDots_Nippon_Maru""Combin ed Roster""Nihon Kaigun v1.3_FotRSU""Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarters_FOTRSU_v1.7_EN""451b_TMOstyle_Na vMapDots_Nihon_Kaigun"
Nippon_Maru_v1.9b_FotRSU="451a_TMOstyle_NavMapDots _Nippon_Maru""Combined Roster""Nihon Kaigun v1.3_FotRSU""Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarters_FOTRSU_v1.7_EN"
Combined Roster="Nihon Kaigun v1.3_FotRSU""Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarters_FOTRSU_v1.7_EN"
FI-OQ_FotRSU_v1.8f_upcPatch="Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarters_FOTRSU_v1.7_EN"
Nihon Kaigun v1.3_FotRSU="Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarters_FOTRSU_v1.7_EN""451b_TMOstyle_Na vMapDots_Nihon_Kaigun"
[MODS]
100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.8=1
FI-OQ_FotRSU_v1.8f_upcPatch=2
Nippon_Maru_v1.9b_FotRSU=3
451a_TMOstyle_NavMapDots_Nippon_Maru=4
Combined Roster=5
Nihon Kaigun v1.3_FotRSU=6
Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarters_FOTRSU_v1.7_EN=7
451b_TMOstyle_NavMapDots_Nihon_Kaigun=8
The mod list is a bit backwards orcisaac. Try going with
  1. 100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.8
  2. 101_FotRSUv18_FixPak
  3. Nihon Kaigun v1.3_FotRSU
  4. Nippon_Maru_v1.9b_FotRSU
  5. Combined Roster
  6. 451_TMOstyle_NavMapDots
  7. 451a_TMOstyle_NavMapDots_Nippon_Maru=4
  8. 451b_TMOstyle_NavMapDots_Nihon_Kaigun
  9. Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarters_FOTRSU_v1.7_EN
  10. FI-OQ_FotRSU_v1.8f_upcPatch
The orange text names are mods you do not have entered. Empty your Save folder (default "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH" or similar) after the changes, and then run the game again, and see if the gun doesn't work now. Also, refer to "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Back.jpg" and "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Front.jpg" image files for the proper key presses to use to operate your boat (just in case). Let us know how you get along.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-22, 03:47 PM   #6
orcisaac
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The mod list is a bit backwards orcisaac. Try going with
  1. 100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.8
  2. 101_FotRSUv18_FixPak
  3. Nihon Kaigun v1.3_FotRSU
  4. Nippon_Maru_v1.9b_FotRSU
  5. Combined Roster
  6. 451_TMOstyle_NavMapDots
  7. 451a_TMOstyle_NavMapDots_Nippon_Maru=4
  8. 451b_TMOstyle_NavMapDots_Nihon_Kaigun
  9. Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarters_FOTRSU_v1.7_EN
  10. FI-OQ_FotRSU_v1.8f_upcPatch
The orange text names are mods you do not have entered. Empty your Save folder (default "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH" or similar) after the changes, and then run the game again, and see if the gun doesn't work now. Also, refer to "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Back.jpg" and "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Front.jpg" image files for the proper key presses to use to operate your boat (just in case). Let us know how you get along.
Thank you I tried this and am still having problems. I referenced the controls document but it is not obvious to me how to move the gun. In game it says to just pan the mouse to the edges of the screen. I have tried this after clicking to lock my view to the gun and tried doing this while 'zoomed' in with the sights. I did notice the elevation on the left side of the sights move up and down but the gun does not appear to actually track with it. I also tried firing after 'raising' the elevation, thinking that maybe it was a visual bug and the gun is actually moving just not appearing as if it is. No dice though, it just fires right into the aft deck.. I may just try disabling all mods and see if it works after that. Otherwise, any other suggestions?
Old 12-31-22, 05:15 PM   #7
propbeanie

Be sure you empty the Save folder after changing the mod order, else you will end up with "bad" data from your previous set-up. Use the <Tab> key to zoom in and out while at the <F10> deck gun view. You can also use the up/down and left/right Arrow Keys, if your keyboard has those, to raise and lower elevation - which you will not see much of a change in the view finder when zoomed, and to rotate the view. If you can target a ship with the periscope of TBT and "Lock" on it, you will get a range on the target. Shoot a bit "short" of that with the deck gun, such that if the range is 1500 yards, you'll usually get hits at 1200 yard with the deck gun. When you attempt to use the mouse, click once on the screen, but inside the viewfinder, not to the left or right. Once you have clicked once, sliding the mouse left/right will rotate, and then up/down elevation is with a push/pull on the mouse away from or toward you. The mouse is kind of a rough aiming, whereas the arrow keys are a finer resolution. You can hold the Shift key, and speed things up a bit with the arrow keys.

Old 12-31-22, 07:05 PM   #8
orcisaac
Swabbie

Quote:
Be sure you empty the Save folder after changing the mod order, else you will end up with "bad" data from your previous set-up. Use the <Tab> key to zoom in and out while at the <F10> deck gun view. You can also use the up/down and left/right Arrow Keys, if your keyboard has those, to raise and lower elevation - which you will not see much of a change in the view finder when zoomed, and to rotate the view. If you can target a ship with the periscope of TBT and "Lock" on it, you will get a range on the target. Shoot a bit "short" of that with the deck gun, such that if the range is 1500 yards, you'll usually get hits at 1200 yard with the deck gun. When you attempt to use the mouse, click once on the screen, but inside the viewfinder, not to the left or right. Once you have clicked once, sliding the mouse left/right will rotate, and then up/down elevation is with a push/pull on the mouse away from or toward you. The mouse is kind of a rough aiming, whereas the arrow keys are a finer resolution. You can hold the Shift key, and speed things up a bit with the arrow keys.
Okay i made sure to delete the save data. Still no dice. I removed all mods and the deck gun worked fine. I then added just FotRS and it appears it is the culprit. I tried with and without the patch and either way it does not work. Not sure what I am missing there.
Old 12-31-22, 07:40 PM   #9
orcisaac
Swabbie

Quote:
Okay so i deleted everything. Mods, the game files the save files. Installed from scratch applied only the FotRSU mod, dropped into the mods folder, activated it with JSGME, then ran LAA. I then launched the game and same dang thing. I am so confused why..
Old 01-01-23, 12:49 PM   #10
propbeanie

I am not certain as to your issue orcisaac. You are not in a program files folder, so in theory, should be OK. Steam useed to automatically install the DirectX v9.0c library files and codec for the game's use, so you should not have that issue. Here is a video I did last night with the deck gun

If you do not get similar results, I do not know where to tell you to look, other than maybe the external drive is not fast enough? Perhaps you are mis-interpreting the use of the gun? Just be certain you crew the gun first (<F7> key), else it will take quite a while to load the ammunition, and it will move even slower than normal...

Old 01-01-23, 03:38 PM   #11
orcisaac
Swabbie

Quote:
I am not certain as to your issue orcisaac. You are not in a program files folder, so in theory, should be OK. Steam useed to automatically install the DirectX v9.0c library files and codec for the game's use, so you should not have that issue. Here is a video I did last night with the deck gun

If you do not get similar results, I do not know where to tell you to look, other than maybe the external drive is not fast enough? Perhaps you are mis-interpreting the use of the gun? Just be certain you crew the gun first (<F7> key), else it will take quite a while to load the ammunition, and it will move even slower than normal...
Thank you for all the help here, and for the video! I do seem to be using it correctly without mods installed no issue. Just once the FOTRSU mod is added it stops working. Sucks because i was pretty excited about playing the game with the mod. Oh well, i will tinker some more and hopefully get it figured out at some point.
Old 01-01-23, 10:39 PM   #12
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Downloads: 92

Shots in the dark here, but when you uninstalled Sh4, did you delete the SH4 folder in your documents? That doesn't get deleted I've found with an uninstall. Another thing are you using V1.5 of SH4?(wolves of the pacific uboat missions?
1Patriotofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-23, 06:38 AM   #13
boapiu
Seaman

Downloads: 51

Just a wild shot in the dark - did you man the deck gun?
boapiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-23, 10:06 AM   #14
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Downloads: 92

Also have you tried just the basic mod alone without all the others in the list and see if it works? Right in the download instructions to try just the basic mod first. Then add them one by one?

Last edited by 1Patriotofmany; 01-02-23 at 10:28 AM.
1Patriotofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-23, 08:46 PM   #15
goldmastersims
Bosun

Downloads: 147

I know I am necroposting, but I likely have figured out why this is happening.

I highly doubt that drive speed matters. I am using an external NVMe drive with about 1000MB/s read/write speeds. The deck gun is still stuck.

The deck gun code probably doesn't work as intended if the game is installed on external drives for some reason. I only copied and pasted my install to an internal SSD. With only FotRSU installed on both external and internal drives, I got the deck gun to work.

So to everybody who is experiencing this problem, only install SH4 with FotRSU on an internal storage device. It is not recommended to use any external storage device whatsoever. This particular part of the game code being unable to function properly while installed on external storage is the most likely cause.
goldmastersims is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help sh4