SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DARPA Game – “ACTUV Tactics”
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-06-11, 12:48 AM   #1
green_abobo
Sparky

Downloads: 50
Uploads: 0
Default help? options for autocrew, etc...

how the heck does this game work?

objective 1 "cat and mouse"...i can tail the ssk np.

but the 2ndary objective where u have to break contact, speed away and then regain it....i cant seem to do it.

when it comes time to do this, all there ever is are radar contacts, no sonar at all. which makes me think the sub is surfaced, but i dont see it anywhere on the nav. screen.

the eq/ir image display doesnt seem to work properly. i can try and click/drag the display, but it doesnt scroll right, even if i dont have the contact locked onscreen.

how much of a factor is the autocrew settings in options? say you set everything to advanced. how then would you go about playing this and be effective?

how do you control everything manually? it isnt really described in the pdf manual. all you can really seem to control is the camera, the speed, and the course of the unmanned unit.

sure you can ping away using active sonar on a few of the models, but outside of that..it just seems like theres not much else one can do.

how much control do we really have over these ACTVU things?

what about the "confidence" ratings? they always seem like they are low, even when you're right on top of a contact.

what am i missing?

Last edited by green_abobo; 09-06-11 at 01:03 AM.
green_abobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-11, 05:57 PM   #2
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_abobo View Post
how the heck does this game work?

objective 1 "cat and mouse"...i can tail the ssk np.

but the 2ndary objective where u have to break contact, speed away and then regain it....i cant seem to do it.
When you're breaking contact, put a mark on the map at the last known location. When you run back, what, 30 minutes(?), later you'll know the target is within about 10nmi of that last location. You won't hav to look far.

Quote:
when it comes time to do this, all there ever is are radar contacts, no sonar at all. which makes me think the sub is surfaced, but i dont see it anywhere on the nav. screen.
You can get HF sonar contacts by driving in range of the target, there are limitations by elevation and bearing depending on platform. MF sonar you control from ship control. Check the manual for limitations on both types of sonar.

Quote:
the eq/ir image display doesnt seem to work properly. i can try and click/drag the display, but it doesnt scroll right, even if i dont have the contact locked onscreen.
Can't help you, mine worked fine...

Quote:
how much of a factor is the autocrew settings in options? say you set everything to advanced. how then would you go about playing this and be effective?

how do you control everything manually? it isnt really described in the pdf manual. all you can really seem to control is the camera, the speed, and the course of the unmanned unit.

sure you can ping away using active sonar on a few of the models, but outside of that..it just seems like theres not much else one can do.
My best guess is that the autocrew settings are a holdover from the DW interface. I don't think you have the ability to manually do anything, really. Other than pinging.
Old 09-06-11, 08:27 PM   #3
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
My best guess is that the autocrew settings are a holdover from the DW interface. I don't think you have the ability to manually do anything, really. Other than pinging.
Especially since this supposed to be a Proof of concept exercise about a totally automated ASW platform.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-11, 08:28 PM   #4
green_abobo
Sparky

Downloads: 50

thanks for the replys.

its funny. since i discovered DW, i havent touched this "game" since. it was a done deal after i played the demo.

i guess if the roles were reversed, and you could use the ssk against the unmanned vessel, it would be a little more compelling.

got me used to the DW interface alot faster than i normally would have.

for that i am also greatful.

green_abobo is offline   Reply With Quote