SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-18-14, 06:42 AM   #2176
Tonci87
Captain

Downloads: 116
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Yep, I know. You can even set a sensitivity factor for each arc. This is of little use for ship visual sensors: with many watchmen supposedly on deck, and looking at every direction at any given time, your 360x360 deg AI_visual is fairly suited to surface units.
That is kind of wrong. Think about nighttime engagements and searchlights. Naturally they should have a very high sensitivity inside the area the searchlight illuminates.
Tonci87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-14, 07:20 AM   #2177
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonci87 View Post
That is kind of wrong. Think about nighttime engagements and searchlights. Naturally they should have a very high sensitivity inside the area the searchlight illuminates.
They do indeed, but I am probably missing your point. What is wrong in the statement you quoted?
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-14, 10:29 AM   #2178
gap
Navy Seal

@ TDW

as already pointed by Trevally, have you already seen the following IRAI-related posts by Serge65?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge65 View Post
If the tanker is stalking you, change: data\Scripts\AI\Ship-Waypoint

strategy WaypointsCNFW(Ship)
precond
{
!Ship:CanFollowWaypoint()
}
action
{
Ship:Goto(0.7,false); ----> Ship:Goto(0.7,true);
Ship:SetThrottle(0.7);
}
}

and everything will be fine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge65 View Post
By the way, found another bug. In my game, when resupply, there was not a tanker, there was a submarine (7C_AI). She was not rammed me, she ran and I could not catch up. In Sub-Navigate.aix file, in sub-strategies NavigateCNFPNEP, need to change the line: Sub Dive(0.0, false) to Ship: Goto (0.7, true). (In IRAI_0_0_41 it is associated with sub-attack.aix file and I do not know how it will work).

QUOTE - # have ship zig-zag it's course. Yes, I know, but without waypoints - it circulation.

NOTE: My little fix "For IRAI" is now fully compatible with IRAI_0_0_41.
Old 02-20-14, 07:54 AM   #2179
GaetVa
Watch

Downloads: 82

Hello,

Perhaps someone can answer my question. It seems that IRAI is running
only if the player is sub is not far away ennemies units. I mean, if
the player is sub is for instance at a distance of 200 km of 2 Taks forces
(which are ennemies), this 2 taks forces, even if they are closed themselves.

I make the test in the wolfpack mission, if i put my submarine at a distance of 200 km for instance, nothing happens between the merchant and the submarines, if i let my submarine closed enough, the combat arises.

Is there a solution for this ?
GaetVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-14, 10:11 AM   #2180
GaetVa
Watch

Just to precise, to verify it, i created a trigger for the merchants classes destroyed and an event of this trigger sending a message when the merchant class is destroyed.

So when i am closed to the submarines / merchants, i received message, if i am far away from submarines / merchants, i have no message, so i presume it happen nothing if the player submarine is at a long range from the IA units.
Old 02-20-14, 10:17 AM   #2181
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaetVa View Post
Hello,

Perhaps someone can answer my question. It seems that IRAI is running
only if the player is sub is not far away ennemies units. I mean, if
the player is sub is for instance at a distance of 200 km of 2 Taks forces
(which are ennemies), this 2 taks forces, even if they are closed themselves.

I make the test in the wolfpack mission, if i put my submarine at a distance of 200 km for instance, nothing happens between the merchant and the submarines, if i let my submarine closed enough, the combat arises.

Is there a solution for this ?
I don't understand the perceived problem you are trying to convey Maybe you or someone else can clarify it?
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-14, 10:20 AM   #2182
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
@ TDW

as already pointed by Trevally, have you already seen the following IRAI-related posts by Serge65?
Yes I did and I made the change in IRAI 41. This 'fix' makes absolutely no sense. Setting the false to true just says that the unit will now zig-zag instead of going in a straight line. I don't see how this fixes anything other than making the unit zig-zag. I'm fairly certain it was just coincidence that this change fixed any problem.
Old 02-20-14, 10:26 AM   #2183
GaetVa
Watch

Hello TDW,

what i mean : is AI combat arises even if the player sub is not closed
to AI ships. For instance, imagine that 2 ennemies ships are closed enough
but my sub is far away this 2 ships (about 200 km). Are this 2 ennemies ships will fight even if they are not in my line of sight ?

or my submarine need to be closed enough to this ships to make them engaging each other ?
Old 02-20-14, 10:32 AM   #2184
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Hello TDW,

what i mean : is AI combat arises even if the player sub is not closed
to AI ships. For instance, imagine that 2 ennemies ships are closed enough
but my sub is far away this 2 ships (about 200 km). Are this 2 ennemies ships will fight even if they are not in my line of sight ?

or my submarine need to be closed enough to this ships to make them engaging each other ?
I'm inclined to say yes they will. Every game unit is an autonomous unit unless it belongs to a group. But then again I'm also inclined to say they won't because they are out of rendering range When units are out of rendering range a completely different set of routines are used to update all the game units (the MissionEngine.dll is responsible for this). I don't recall seeing anything in MissionEngine.dll responsible for combat - it mainly just updates unit's position. I never saw it call into SHSim.act (which is responsible for combat for the most part) so I would have to say that combat doesn't exist outside of the rendering range.
Old 02-20-14, 10:40 AM   #2185
GaetVa
Watch

Ok ok thanks TDW.

I thought it could be interresting in a campaign that for instance a friendly uboat encounter a convoy, it attacks him, making more sense to the reality of the campaign (the uboat could send a message saying he is attacking a convoy or saying he is under attack to his allied units).

But you must be right as i tried it in the single mission wolfpacks you put in your irai mod. Nothing seems happening when the uboat is at a long range from the supposed fight.
Old 02-20-14, 01:13 PM   #2186
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
Yes I did and I made the change in IRAI 41. This 'fix' makes absolutely no sense. Setting the false to true just says that the unit will now zig-zag instead of going in a straight line. I don't see how this fixes anything other than making the unit zig-zag. I'm fairly certain it was just coincidence that this change fixed any problem.
I see. Thanks for answering.

Quote:
Ok ok thanks TDW.

I thought it could be interresting in a campaign that for instance a friendly uboat encounter a convoy, it attacks him, making more sense to the reality of the campaign (the uboat could send a message saying he is attacking a convoy or saying he is under attack to his allied units).

But you must be right as i tried it in the single mission wolfpacks you put in your irai mod. Nothing seems happening when the uboat is at a long range from the supposed fight.
Your idea is interesting.

It would add a lot to the immersion of the game. Also, coupled with the concept of "unique units" (this is one of the main differences among SH5 and its predecessors), it would render the campaign "dynamic" in the true sense of the therm.

Its implementation is unlikely though. The last word about it is on TDW indeed, but I think that it would require a complete rewrite of the library mentioned by the same TDW, not to mention the extra work tha the CPU should do for keeping track of all the potential AI-to-AI engagements in campaign.
Old 02-20-14, 03:10 PM   #2187
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

I can only scrape up 30fps in Kiel now with just a few units . Imagine my computers surprise when it has to do this for a 200klm radius .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-14, 07:08 PM   #2188
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Your idea is interesting.

It would add a lot to the immersion of the game. Also, coupled with the concept of "unique units" (this is one of the main differences among SH5 and its predecessors), it would render the campaign "dynamic" in the true sense of the therm.

Its implementation is unlikely though. The last word about it is on TDW indeed, but I think that it would require a complete rewrite of the library mentioned by the same TDW, not to mention the extra work tha the CPU should do for keeping track of all the potential AI-to-AI engagements in campaign.
Should be simple to implement as it should just involve telling the game the new rendering distance to use. I have a feeling it will severely tax the end-users system though. I'll look into playing around with it
Old 02-20-14, 07:45 PM   #2189
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
Should be simple to implement as it should just involve telling the game the new rendering distance to use. I have a feeling it will severely tax the end-users system though. I'll look into playing around with it
This is the point: simply increasing the rendering distance would be too much for our machines to handle it. It that was possible, it would be better checking if enemy units are getting within combat range, and rolling dices for deciding the outcome (yes, like Risk!)
Old 02-21-14, 03:46 AM   #2190
GaetVa
Watch

@TDW

hopes your too tests could be successfull !! it will be really something (in my mind) really interreting, and as gap said, with unique ships features (as you can put unique ship for any class and add names boats for each of them), it would be possible to know which ships has been sunked, and even how many tonnage has been sank by axis for a given month, year).

It would give a lot of immersion to the campaigns.

Anyway, thanks to you to have a look about this

@gap

yes, a very good idea in case it takes too much consuming cpu time.