SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-20-16, 03:11 AM   #16
Dallsim
Watch

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Thanks, Sailor Steve, for answering all the questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve
You must have seen a shorter version of the film. In the five-hour 'Original, Uncut' version they actually have a discussion about that.
Quote:
Okay, you saw the 'Director's Cut'. The miniseries runs at just under 5 hours, and explains a lot of things the shorter versions don't.
Yeah, we bought the Blu-ray version of the "Director's Cut". I saw they had the TV series on Blu-ray as well, which lasts over 5 hours and comes with English subtitles:
https://www.amazon.de/Das-Boot-TV-Fa...s+boot+blu+ray

Is this more or less the same as the "Original Uncut Version" on DVD here, apart from it running as episodes rather than being edited as a non stop 5 hour film?
https://www.amazon.com/Das-Boot-Orig...+uncut+version

Quote:
Generally the body is wrapped in cloth with a lead or steel weight attached. Then the body is allowed to slide over the side into the water. This is called "Burial At Sea", and is one of the highest honors a sailor can be accorded.
If an individual or multiple people were killed, and you could not rise to the top due to still being hunted, where would dead bodies be put if they were forced to be under water for several days? Is it possible, although not appropriate, to dispose of bodies while submerged, or would they endure the days it takes before it's safe for the submarine to ascent?

Quote:
I was a radioman on a destroyer, but I also worked as a mess-cook (not actually cooking, but cleaning up), a "runner" (carrying messages to the bridge), and a lookout.
How different is it to be a radioman on a Destroyer compared to one on a submarine? In Das Boot, Maat Hinrich is the radioman and sonar controller. We see him constantly with his headset on listening for nearby enemies. Would you, as a radioman on a Destroyer, be on the lookout for submerged submarines using sonar? Maat Hinrich VS Sailor Steve
Dallsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-16, 10:58 AM   #17
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallsim View Post
Is this more or less the same as the "Original Uncut Version" on DVD here, apart from it running as episodes rather than being edited as a non stop 5 hour film?
It looks like it. They list the running time as 308 minutes, vs 252 minutes on the version I have. I would love to have a copy cut into episodes, which would make it much easier to watch over several days. On the other hand the British version says "Miniseries", but I understand it's still one long movie, so don't be surprised if the German version is cut that way too.

Quote:
If an individual or multiple people were killed, and you could not rise to the top due to still being hunted, where would dead bodies be put if they were forced to be under water for several days?
That I don't know, having never served on a sub. We do have several ex-bubbleheads here, so one of them might be able to answer your question.

Quote:
Is it possible, although not appropriate, to dispose of bodies while submerged, or would they endure the days it takes before it's safe for the submarine to ascent?
In the movie Run Silent, Run Deep they shoot a dead sailor out a torpedo tube along with a bunch of debris, in an attempt to fool the Japanese into thinking they had been sunk. I don't know if any captain ever actually did that, but when I first saw the movie as a little kid I thought it was a great idea.

Quote:
How different is it to be a radioman on a Destroyer compared to one on a submarine?
I don't know, never having served on a sub, but I imagine it's not very different.

Quote:
In Das Boot, Maat Hinrich is the radioman and sonar controller. We see him constantly with his headset on listening for nearby enemies. Would you, as a radioman on a Destroyer, be on the lookout for submerged submarines using sonar? Maat Hinrich VS Sailor Steve
No. Radio and Sound were two completely different divisions, and had nothing to do with each other. On a submarine they do a lot of cross-training, in case someone is injured or killed and someone else has to fill in for him. That said, the movie condensed things for the sake of simplicity. In the book Hinrich is the radioman only. The soundman's name is Herrmann. It might make sense to have one man do both jobs, since when surfaced you can't use the hydrophones and when submerged you can't use the radio, but the reality is that there are three separate watch shifts and each has its own men to man both. On our destroyer we had eight radiomen - two for each shift plus a Chief and a First-Class RM to keep an eye on things.