SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-20-08, 05:08 AM   #346
NKVD-crazyivan
Gunner

Downloads: 28
Uploads: 0

Thanks for the reply Ducimus......but i have no other mods but yours and RSRDC....this smokeless problem showed it self when i uninstalled your SP2 and SPb then installed your new and latest mod..........

Is there a folder i can add out of your mod to get this back.......

I love your work and i know time is your worst enemy........but i will say this again great effort this is a top mod
Old 04-20-08, 08:57 AM   #347
Aniuk
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Exhaust smoke is there, but had to take a good look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus

Im not sure whats going on there. The exhaust "effects" are in and working. If you are running any mod on the side that alters submarine.dat files, then you'll be overwriting the dats i tweaked - hence, no exaust effects at all.

On that subject, i think it could use some more tweaking, the wind plays too much of an influence in the particle generators. My problem is i need wind effects to simulate a higher throttle, since i can't figure out how to tie in the particle generators to the throttle setting of the submarine. So the ad hoc solution is to have wind carry the exaust smoke, so it "looks" like the effects of faster accelleration.
Just finished a patrol and I can state: no exhaust effects here either. Was not paying that much attention to it, sorry. Running nothing else but TMO. It looked great with the SP1 & 2.

Windspeed 2 m/s. Clear sky, Near Wake Island beginnen of 1942 on a GAR sub. Nvidia 8800 GTS, > 70-80 fps. So there is something funny going on between the SP1 & SP2 and the final version. Not a disaster, but now I know! I can live with this of course, but maybe it's a simple thing to repair.

Edit: just checked it out again using the free cam and circling the boat. There is smoke. It's not so dark and only on the starboard side (maybe that is intended?) Reacts on the subs speed. So it is there, but it's not "brownish" like in the patched version.

Edit 2: Did some 360 degrees turns in full speed, clear sky, sunny, windspeed zero and I can now state. It is there! on starboard and port. Difficult to see when the ships side is turned to the sun. But it is there. Maybe, just maybe, Ducimus is using now something like Shell V-Power diesel. Released last year in the Netherlands, better for the environment, saves your engine and all that.:rotfl: So, it is a colour thing?

Last edited by Aniuk; 04-20-08 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-20-08, 10:30 AM   #348
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Well i recoloered it because of some clips i saw online that shows , in clolor, acutal exhaust.
http://www.realmilitaryflix.com/public/794.cfm

Arguably, i scaled it a bit too small.

The reason why you see it on one side, and not the other is because of the wind. Its blowing the particles generated inside the boat. Its there, but its leaning inward. Result is you only see it from one side. I think i need to try lowering the wind coeficent of the nodes for these at some point. maybe scale them a bit larger. What i was trying to avoid, was having this huge exaggerated exhaust plume. Said plume is acutally mostly steam and water according to some sub vets around these parts. This is another reason why i changed it the way i did.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 04:36 PM   #349
Aniuk
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Smoke

Thanks Ducimus for your elaborate answer. It explains it all. There is never a smoke screen when you answer a question. It makes sense. Sometimes a problem is not a problem at all, it's the solution thanks for letting us know why you made the changes! Impressive pictures of the US Fleet submarines, thanks for posting the link.
Old 04-20-08, 08:53 PM   #350
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus
Well i recoloered it because of some clips i saw online that shows , in clolor, acutal exhaust.
http://www.realmilitaryflix.com/public/794.cfm
I was a little curious about that as well, thanks for the explanation. Nice link by
the way

RDP

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-08, 08:42 AM   #351
ustahl
Watch Officer

Downloads: 156
Default Awsome link

Duci, thanks for that really awsome link: http://www.realmilitaryflix.com/public/794.cfm

I immediately registered and, being a history buff, straight on spent some hours there.

Those Fleetboat flicks also give some nice reference on the look of the water surface/waves at 0 wind, which is currently discussed over in this thread: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=134599.
Old 04-22-08, 10:17 AM   #352
Blood_splat
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 20

I can't hear ships with the sonar. This is what I have installed.

REL_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_15
RSRDC_TMOv15_V371
RSRDC_V371_Patch5
Blood_splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 02:52 PM   #353
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

So ive been working on some updates.

General list:

Hydrophone upgrades:
A picture says it best:

I dont claim the numbers are tits on historically accurate, but its in the ballpark. Hydrophone upgrades are:

WCA, range = 10K
JP, range = 15K
JT, range = 21K

WCA sonar will detect surface contacts. This much is historically correct. Much to my amazement the game acutally DOES use two sonars. I dont know how, but it knows to switch to the better hydrophone while submerged, and seems to use the WCA only while surfaced. So you'll be able to detect surface sound contacts up to a range of about 9K. Since yoour watch crew can see 15K, i dont see this being overpowered, but VERY handy for fog conditions;

EDIT: Note for clarification: You start with just the WCA sonar, and retain it throughout the war which is used in tandom with sonar upgrades. JP sonar becomes available in 6/43 and JT in 1/45.

Enviormental upgrades:
Ive taken the time to get Player and AI visual sensors to work as correctly as possible with W_Clears enviormental work. Ive made a few small, minor adjustments to fog, however, the really cool fog effects ARE there, and im sure the eyecandy maniacs will be happy.

Fixed Tench torpedo loadout:
I hope this is correct

I am seriously considering dumping the torpedo graphics i did. They look very amateurish (umm.. cause im an amateur graphics guy at best )

Submarine crew configurations:
A picture says it best:

It will work correctly at all screen resolutions.

Interior nodes:
Added a couple character nodes to the conning tower of interiors. One is the firing key operator, another is a secondary sonarman. Both are active only during battle stations. Ive alsy set lighting conditions back to stock.

Picture of CT during battle stations with no PPF:

Pictuere of CT during battle stations with PPF, and glare enabled:

Engine exhaust:
Ive adjusted it again, by removing the global wind controller from the exhaust nodes. Now they should function correctly, without the particle effects being blown inside the sub where it cannot be seen.

Theres some more i wanted to do, but after doing all of the above, burnout is setting in, and im getting tired of looking at things, so i might release what i have soon, and worry about the rest for later.

Unfortunatly do to the extensive changes in crew configurations, you'll have to start a new career to gain the effects of these changes. OR, if your offered a new boat, take it, and it will come with these changes enabled.

No ETA on release.
Old 04-28-08, 02:59 PM   #354
modisch
Torpedoman

Downloads: 7

Ducimus,

One day, you simply need to move to a sanitorium deep in the mountains where you can enjoy fresh air on a rocking chair with some sweet tea. Because you are absolutely terrible at taking a break from modding.

Looks like awesome work and we're all the more lucky for it. Just please don't burn yourself out. You've more than earned the right to rest on your laurels.

Cheers,

-m
modisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 04:13 PM   #355
Aniuk
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default wow

I thought it could not be better! But these screenshots show it can be done. I hope the ETA is ASAP (it's a holiday week in the Netherlands!). It would be nice to have a go with this. It looks great!
Old 04-28-08, 08:04 PM   #356
Peto
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 4

OK. So the tide of life sweeps me away for a while and when I finally wash back up on the subsim shore what do I see? The return of Ducimus ! Back to his old tricks and--once again--doing Great Work!

Good to see you drifted back!
Old 04-29-08, 02:17 PM   #357
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Some more changes:

- Improved/cleaned up ordersbar. Assigned icons to buttons that were missing them.
- Made decoys an upgrade, avialable in 12/44.

*note on decoys:
Right now its just one Decoy upgrade. Ive created decoy files that are unique to US subs, where as normally it was using the BOLD3 german decay. Eventually my plan is to create more then 1 decoy, but have them do different things. For example, sending up an oilslick. I experimented with that, but all i got was squid like inkspot where the decoy was released instead of oil going to the surface, so that will require more experimentation then i have patience for right now.

Ive changed the torpedo icons colors to that by castorp345.

*note: currently i do not have the patience to recolor the actual torpedos themselves, so i will be reverting these back to stock coloration.

All i think im going to do now, is tidy up some odds and ends in the camera file, write up the documentation for this update and call it good for awhile.
Old 04-30-08, 04:23 AM   #358
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Im not updating again, tell i get a chance to run a career game from early to late war.

anywho.. the usual terse changelog, i don't believe any changes ive made will effect RSRD compatiblity, i mainly focused on the subs themselves.

Quote:

//sub interiors
- changed lighting and fog settings back to stock.
For non PPF users, recommend changing Fog Parameters from (51, 58, 60) to (10, 12, 12) via S3D.

- added two additional crew nodes

// UI changes
- cleaned up orders bar.
- added icons to buttons that didnt have any
- changed color of fuel/batt/02/comp air status bar.
- changed torpedo icons to that of castorp345's torpedo color mod
- removed all previous torpedo textures.

// Enviormental changes
- added various parts of Enviormental mod 4.3 by W_clear
- changed for so that medium fog looks like medium fog and heavy fog looks like heavy fog.
- adjusted visual fog factors for both the player and AI visual sensors.

//fixed sub exhaust so its no longer blown inboard and rendred invisible.

//submarine configuration changes
- reconfigured crew positions on fleet boats. Will need to start a new career or take a new command for these changes to appear.

- Decoys is now an upgrade avialable in 7/44.

- Hydrohones are now an upgrade. All boats come standard with WCA sonar which is later agumented and used in conjuction with by JP and JT sonar later in the war.

//Passive sonar changes:
- WCA, range = 10K, comes standard
- JP, range = 15K, available in 6/43
- JT, range = 21K, avaialble in 1/45

//campaign fix
- removed erononous entry in 44B Jab sub hunter layer.
Old 04-30-08, 05:45 AM   #359
NKVD-crazyivan
Gunner

Downloads: 28

Fantastic work Duci cant wait till i finish my current patrol...................

forgive my New Zealand noobness but do i uninstall your last ver of TMO and reinstall your lastest work or put this over top.

Old 04-30-08, 06:57 AM   #360
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Nicely done

RDP

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote