SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-27-09, 02:30 PM   #106
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunky48 View Post
Yeah, that's what I figured out. But I don't know hot to set a true intercept course. I always arrive way too early (or sometimes too late).
Did you intercept based on a specific given speed (like you get from a convoy report) or just estimated based on a vague speed range (slow, medium or fast, like a single-unit map contact report). If the last then it is perfectly normal that you arrive to early or too late. The method in this thread is a true intercept. It's just that the information provided by the game contains uncertainties (as it should). So you either take worst-case values and decide to let the most difficult ones pass, or accept the chance some of your intercepts fail.
Old 08-27-09, 03:24 PM   #107
Spunky48
Watch

Downloads: 1

I follow the tutorial to the letter. Slow = 6 knots, medium = 9 knots, and I'm not going to waste fuel catching up to fast (which I assume is 12 knots).
Spunky48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-09, 03:55 PM   #108
JHuschke
XO

Downloads: 32

Haha I'm printing this out.. :P
JHuschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-09, 04:15 PM   #109
Dimitrius07
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Little math + some practice = victory. Without map contact update it will be harder.
Old 08-29-09, 05:18 AM   #110
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunky48 View Post
I follow the tutorial to the letter. Slow = 6 knots, medium = 9 knots, and I'm not going to waste fuel catching up to fast (which I assume is 12 knots).
In my experience slow units go upto 7.5 knots maximum, anything above that until 11.5 knots is medium speed. So that explains why you sometimes end up late to the party. You probably didn't do anything wrong with your intercept, other than underestimating his speed. If you use the above speeds you'll allways end up in front of him. Infact most often I don't hear it yet on hydrophone and so I need to search for him along his course-track. Which can sometimes take hours if you find out it was actually doing 4 knots instead of 7.5. But then he's toast anyway. I hardly ever encounter merchants going fast. Infact I can't even remember when. But I do want to catch medium speed ships so I do assume it's speed is 11.5. It all depends on where I am in relation to his contact report if I actually go after it. I made a rule to allow the contact to move 175km maximum during my intercept. If I am at that point at that time the contact should still be within hydrophone range despite his course being a bit off (+- 11.25 degrees). That is to say, if you listen yourself, your crew might not be sensitive enough to hear him.

Last edited by Pisces; 08-29-09 at 05:34 AM.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-12, 06:04 PM   #111
Wuss
Seaman

Downloads: 127

is there a printable version of the hunt,i would love one to practice with,the link to the pdf on the original post is dead now.
Wuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-12, 07:58 AM   #112
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Unfortunately I never stored this PDF on my harddrive.

But ..... it was stored here on subsim allready in the Download-section

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1081
Old 01-28-12, 09:45 AM   #113
Wuss
Seaman

Downloads: 127

thanks Pisces,dont know why i didnt find that link
Wuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-12, 05:54 PM   #114
Gangrene
Bosun

Downloads: 50

I use a MUCH SIMPLER way to plot an intercept, it's easier and very accurate... Stock game... You are given the location, angle, and "rough speed".

1. Draw the path: There is a tail on the mark, draw a line from the tip of the tail through the ship and far off ahead of it. You can pull the line far ahead and still adjust the line to match the direction as close as you can. If you want to be exact or not do any math you can draw a second line from the actual point of the ship and not the tail... then delete the original line to get it out of the way.

2. Now draw a line from your sub to their ships original location, DON'T click it(lock it in), just mentally note the distance, then start adjusting the line along the path until the two distances match.

Now, if you travel there at the same speed you would both hit that spot at the same time.

3. Simply adjust one or more factors to insure you arrive before them.
3a. You can travel to that location at a faster speed. Assume 6-7.. Go 8-9 knots... for example.
3b. measure the distance so theirs is a little longer than yours. So maybe your line intersects at 25km on their line and 21km on your line. If you travel at the same speed you'll arrive at that point and their ship should be about 4km away... depending on your skills and their speed you should be able to adjust your position and calculate your solution in plenty of time.

Expand your skills: As you do this over and over again you'll get better at it. and you can adjust more factors like... if you think they are traveling 6 knots and you want to travel at 12. Simply have your ship double the distance they travel and you should arrive at the same place, same time(This is useful for distant ships where you are going to have to out distance them to intercept). Eventually you'll be able to adjust your angle and speed(together) and be confident with your math in your head.

And there you have it! No angles, no trigonometry, etc... simple as it gets, JUST TWO LINES and look at their lengths.

That's just getting to the ship... I have other techniques I use to put it down.

Does that help anybody?
Gangrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-12, 07:16 PM   #115
Pisces
Silent Hunter

You are doing basically the same. So I wouldn't call this more simpler. The described method are systematic steps that you can make a routine. Whereas yours is more (gu)estimating the proper intercept location. Whatever works for you.
Old 08-30-12, 07:07 AM   #116
sixcoins
Seaman

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMV View Post
Spunky48

A good tutorial there for Intercepting just in time :

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tp...3&m=5051056603

Hello! I clicked on this link, and it opened up the UbiSoft forums main page. My search didn't bring up an intercept tutorial.

I'm sad now.

I appreciate you putting it in here, though.... I'll do some more searching around and see what I can find.

Thanks!

Six.
sixcoins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-12, 12:49 PM   #117
sharkbit
The Old Man

Downloads: 334

From the downloads section:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1081

Try downloading the file. I believe that will give you what you want.

“Prejudice is blind. There will always be someone who says you aren’t welcome at the table. Stop apologizing for who you are and using all your energy trying to change their minds. Yes, you will lose friends, maybe even family. But you will gain your self-respect. You will know your worth. Once you have that, nothing can stop you.”
sharkbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-12, 04:20 PM   #118
Red Heat
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 243

I believe its a very good instrument specially for the beginners or simple for those who wants to make the things "by the book"...

´´There is three kinds of man: the living, the death,
and those who are at Sea.´´

Plato
Red Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-12, 10:10 AM   #119
audio-junkie
Nub

Downloads: 24

What an awesome guide! I can't wait to begin stalking reported contacts. I usually missed many of them before, but now I have a surefire way of making sure I arrive ahead of schedule and sending those contacts to the Deep Six.
audio-junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-12, 12:20 AM   #120
Demonwolf
Nub

Downloads: 4

this rele helps thanks
Demonwolf is offline   Reply With Quote