Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-22, 02:17 PM   #14326
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

It was stupid to sign a brexit treaty with this unsolved contradictory clause.

It was clear that this thing would pop up again, and that such a contradiction cannot endlessly live on.

It is about eiodocuklously low ammount of trade and money. The EU exploits this clause to the max to press and hack away at the UK's inner sovereignty. So it does with the EU courts dminac tolre that it still has in certain things regarding the Brexit agreements. The EU court is the court not of a neutrla isdnatnce, but of one of the parties - it CANNOT be a neutral instance.

Truth is the UK almost INVITED the EU into this strong position. It shouldn't have, but it did.

This knot cannot be opened and cleared up. It must be cut with with a sword and a violent mind.

The British proposal to have red and hgreen trad eolines, as they clal it, is reaosnable, in my opinion. It makes an awful lot of sense as a compromise to cut this know in the less violent manner possible. No controls on deliveries from UK to NI and vice versa, but controls on trade going to NI for the purpose of beign exported to the EU.

Find a better comprkmsie if you can. ther eis none I can imagine. The alterntaive is to sue the UK and hope it back sdown, what it likely will not, or nuke the whole brexit "treaty", which imo was (with the NI protocol included) junk anyway. Clear cut.

A needless, stupid and inevitable situation. But as I said in the Brexit process: the eU will never fogoive the UK to have said No to the block. The narcissistic ego of the EU is too offended as if they could ever get over that outraging rejection.

I am for the green-red trade lane model to NI. I am for the kicking of the EU court dominance. I am against the EU megalomania project. Nevertheless I am not lining up with the UK side this time, since they should not even have gone this wrong in the first, and never should have signed this brexit treaty in this format, but should have gone without it. One could have known this thing would cook up. And I predicted that it would. Now that the boiling water is all over the place, dear Britain: care yourself how to clean up the mess without burning your fingers. I stay out this time, moral support-wise.
Old 06-16-22, 09:50 AM   #14327
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

UK interest rates have risen further as the Bank of England attempts to stem the pace of soaring prices.

Rates have increased from 1% to 1.25%, the fifth consecutive rise, pushing them to the highest level in 13 years.

It comes as finances are being squeezed by the rising cost of living, driven by record fuel and energy prices.

Inflation - the rate at which prices rise - is currently at a 40-year high of 9%, and the Bank warned it could surpass 11% later this year.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61801362

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 06-16-22, 09:54 AM   #14328
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Boris Johnson's ethics adviser says he quit after the PM forced him into an “impossible and odious” position.

Lord Geidt's job was to advise the PM on the ministerial code - a set of rules governing standards of behaviour.

In his resignation letter, he said he had come close to quitting over Covid law-breaking in Downing Street.

But he said he had been asked for advice this week on another issue he believed would amount to a deliberate breach of the code.

"This request has placed me in an impossible and odious position," wrote Lord Geidt in his letter.

He said the idea that the prime minister "might to any degree be in the business of deliberately breaching his own code is an affront" that would suspend the code "to suit a political end".

"This would make a mockery not only of respect for the code but licence the suspension of its provisions in governing the conduct of Her Majesty's ministers," Lord Geidt wrote.

"I can have no part in this."

In his response, Mr Johnson said his intention was to seek Lord Geidt's "advice on the national interest in protecting a crucial industry".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61827319

Old 06-16-22, 10:03 AM   #14329
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

It was wrong for the European Court of Human Rights to intervene with the plan to take asylum seekers from the UK to Rwanda, Dominic Raab has said.

The deputy prime minister said the flight's grounding strengthened the case for reforming human rights laws.

The first flight of the Rwanda asylum plan, scheduled for Tuesday evening, was halted after the court intervened.

Plans for future flights have begun and the government remains committed to the plan, Priti Patel told MPs.

"We will not be deterred from doing the right thing," the home secretary said on Wednesday.

The Rwanda asylum plan, announced by the government in April, intends to take some asylum seekers who cross the Channel to the UK on a one-way ticket to Rwanda to claim asylum there instead. The government has said the scheme would discourage others from crossing the Channel.

Up to seven people had been expected to be removed to Rwanda on the Boeing 767 on Tuesday evening - which was halted minutes before take-off.

But despite clearing UK courts, the flight was halted by a late intervention from the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) which led to fresh challenges in the UK courts.

Refugee organisations, politicians and the Church of England are among those who have criticised the asylum plan.

Charities and lawyers representing asylum seekers have also launched a series of legal challenges against the policy.

Justice Secretary Mr Raab said it had been "quite wrong" for the Strasburg court to use a special power to block the removal of some of the asylum seekers.

It had turned to a little-used court rule, that is technically not part of the core law of the European Convention on Human Rights - the treaty the UK is part of.

He said that the court's ability to use this injunction power would end under his planned reforms.

The UK's High Court was "very clear" and said there was "no realistic risk that in the interim period there would have been any harm to those who would have been deported", the deputy prime minister said.

The High Court ruling also accepted there was a "material public interest" in the home secretary being able to carry out her policies.

Asked if the UK could simply ignore the European court's ruling, Mr Raab said: "Not under the Human Rights Act, but we will address this squarely with the bill of rights."

The bill of rights is a plan by the government that would see changes made to the Human Rights Act. Under the plan, the UK would stay party to the European Convention on Human Rights but would change how it is interpreted by courts.

Mr Raab said the grounding of the flight "does strengthen" the case for reform.

"We're going to stay in the convention but make sure the procedural framework is reformed", he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

The changes would "stop and change the ability of the Strasbourg court to issue what amounts to effective injunctions when they have no power grounded in the European convention to do so", he said.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61822584

Old 06-17-22, 10:59 AM   #14330
MGR1
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 252

The Rwanda plan is an utter waste of money, it's fundamentally stupid and it won't act as a deterent in any way, shape or form.

Mike.
"I am the battleship Jean Bart. This name originates from a certain 'respected' privateer... Yes? You want to know what privateers are? Hmph, they are pirates that rob openly under the banner of their country."

Jean Bart from the mobile game Azur Lane.
Old 06-18-22, 12:52 PM   #14331
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

I suspect you may be correct but only time will tell.

Old 06-19-22, 01:04 PM   #14332
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Some asylum claimants who arrived in the UK in small boats or in the back of lorries could be electronically tagged under a new Home Office trial.

A 12-month trial could apply to adults due to be removed from the UK after arriving via what the government calls "dangerous or unnecessary" routes.

Boris Johnson said it was important to "make sure asylum seekers can't just vanish into the rest of the country".

Critics say the plan treats those fleeing persecution as criminals.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61849433

Old 06-20-22, 12:26 PM   #14333
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Boris has been telling that many lies lately, it is believed he was in need of this operation to prevent him looking like Pinocchio

Old 06-22-22, 06:31 AM   #14334
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Chancellor Rishi Sunak has defended restoring the triple lock, which could see pensions rise by 10% in line with inflation.

It comes as the government warns workers not to expect pay rises to keep pace with increasing costs.

Economist and Labour adviser Jim O'Neill said the "constant protection of pensioners" was "ludicrous".

But Mr Sunak said pensioners were "among the most vulnerable in society" and needed to be protected.

Inflation - the rate at which the price of things like food and fuel rise - has hit a 40-year high of 9.1% and the Bank of England has predicted it will grow to 11% later this year.

Old 06-22-22, 07:15 AM   #14335
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

If you would get away from this brexit "project", what would you miss?

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 06-22-22, 09:38 AM   #14336
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Lies and yet more lies.

Old 06-23-22, 10:47 AM   #14337
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Polling stations in Tiverton and Honiton, and in Wakefield have opened as voting for the two English by-elections gets under way.

The two seats, in West Yorkshire and Devon, were won by the Conservatives at the last general election, in 2019.

People in the constituencies have until 22:00 to cast a ballot.

The weather is set to be warm and sunny in Wakefield, while the forecast is for a bright start followed by sunshine and showers in Honiton and Tiverton.

Old 06-23-22, 01:16 PM   #14338
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

I think it might end up a 1-1 draw today, Starmer and his lefty pillocks will win in Wakefield, I can tell you that the voters there were as thick as bricks in 1988 and I don't doubt that their offspring haven't made any significant improvements to that bleeding cess pit either, crikey, it made Beirut look like a middle class city.

Tiverton shouldn't turn their backs on the Tories today, a quick look back into history and the striking Unions of that period that caused mayhem in the 1970's should send a shudder of fear down their backs. The Tories should win it but with a reduced majority, this is Bozo's moment, has he got the same sized balls as Thatcher or has he not?, this Union strike will need to be crushed once and for all and all the other strikes that will come after it too, if he fails he'll be looked at as just another failed Edward Heath, Tory High Command will be watching closely and sharpening their blades.

EDIT

Tory Disaster.

Ooooh, the Tories got a massive smack in the mouth from the electorate yesterday, one was expected and the other one was a slim possibility, it seems like Bozo can hoodwink his MPs at will but when it comes to the voters it's not so. Turbulent times ahead for the Tories me thinks and perhaps a civil war on the cards too, they should be used to them though as they've put the knife into many a Tory leader whether it was deserved or not.

Last edited by Moonlight; 06-24-22 at 02:37 AM.
Moonlight is online  
Old 06-24-22, 06:10 AM   #14339
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Really, England?

"Police officers arrested a 92-year-old grandfather for a rally in defense of Julian Assange.
The video was shot at a rally in London.
The day before, the UK decided to extradite WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange to the United States.
He is accused of disclosing classified information. The total term he faces is 175 years in prison."

Now they say he was detained because of not wearing a mask. And then the band played.. a.s.o.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 06-24-22, 09:03 AM   #14340
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

^More nonsense from the internet.

Fact Check.
https://factcheck.afp.com/man-was-ar...e-january-2021

That doddering old man shouldn't even be there, ship him off to the USA and give him a DNA test, you might find that he's Joe Bidens younger brother.

Tags
british, politics