SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: With new info available, what are your leanings compared to two weeks ago?
More inclined to buy 70 26.72%
Less inclined to buy 102 38.93%
Same 83 31.68%
See DRM in more positive light 12 4.58%
See DRM less positive light 54 20.61%
Indiferent to DRM 39 14.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-18-10, 12:40 PM   #91
lynx
Mate

Downloads: 506
Uploads: 0

it will buy, although it throws soon it to the sweepings
lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 07:19 AM   #92
Tobus
Lieutenant

Downloads: 13

I won't buy it. Not only since I'm hesitant about the Sims-on-a-uboat part, but also because of the DRM.

I have Rise of Flight, a fantastic WW1 aircombatsim. Alas, it has the same type of DRM. No problems on the serverside, but when my internet clonks out for whatever reason, however slight the chance, I want to be able to play and use my legally bought software.

If sales are not what they should be in the eyes of UBI and the servers go down in a couple of years, then you're left with a 50 euro coaster.
Tobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 08:40 AM   #93
stoneys-nutz
A-ganger

Downloads: 456

I will buy it, (pre-ordered it), and hope that the modders can turn it in to a decent game, may have to wait a bit, but I'm sure it will be worth it.
stoneys-nutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 08:57 AM   #94
himlaviz
Mate

Downloads: 28

I want to buy Silent Hunter 5 because it looks like a interesting "subsim" and it seem to have great graphics, the first person view approach looks fresh and might add to the "das boot" feeling of the game. My internet connection is pretty rock solid with 99,999% uptime, 100/10mbit so I don't see the DRM as a problem from my part anyway, hopefully UbiSoft have stable servers with proper bandwidth.

I don't want to buy "Silent Hunter 5" because I don't really want to support this type of DRM and what if the servers crash a lot and make the game unplayable.

Sad, I want to buy Silent Hunter 5 from what I have seen so far, nothing about the actual game that makes me hesitate to buy it.

Guess I will buy it anyway...
This is my computer. There are many like it but this one is mine. My computer is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my computer is useless. Without my computer I am useless.
himlaviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 09:29 AM   #95
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

For those of you that buy the game you are saying to Ubisoft and every other game developer that you support this type of DRM. Do you really want to convey that message? Think about this seriously.
Take a stand. Enough is enough.
I'm seriously considering standing outside Best Buy on release day with a big sign informing people what DRM type this game has and to not buy it.
I'm sorry but I used to like Ubisoft. Now all I want to see is them fail miserably. And this goes for any other software company that pushes this type of DRM on us.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 09:30 AM   #96
The Enigma
Seer of visions

Downloads: 31

I just bought new copies SH2,Sh3 and SH4 (DRM free).
I have plenty of time waiting for UBI to remove the U(p)Lay/OSP from SH5

The Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 10:06 AM   #97
Feuer Frei!
Navy Seal

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerboy View Post
For those of you that buy the game you are saying to Ubisoft and every other game developer that you support this type of DRM. Do you really want to convey that message? Think about this seriously.
I'm seriously considering standing outside Best Buy on release day with a big sign informing people what DRM type this game has and to not buy it.
I am buying the game, NOT to directly support Ubisoft, but to actually play a new game.....i am the last person that you would ever see "advertising" either by clothing or otherwise a particular company or a company's ideals or what they have to sell or stand for......believe me.....
It obviously is a "generalised" comment that you make about purchase, ie supporting Ubisoft, unfortunately you cannot generalise, or "pigeon-hole,
i get what you are perhaps "trying to say", technically you are correct in saying that i am supporting Ubisoft by buying the product, however i don't think it's fair to assume that i, or ( maybe some of ) those that purchase the game have anything other in mind apart from experiencing new gameplay, all unproven or otherwise "unplayed" negatives aside for a moment......
And, before you jump down my throat, i respect your viewpoints and wanting to stand outside Best Buy with signs etc etc.....you believe in something and you will fight for it, fine.
And yes, i have thought about it, many a time, how can i not, with continuously being informed of the DRM (issue), anti-piracy, unfounded assumptions, suggestions (quiet strong might i add in some instances) to not buy this product...both here and on other forums...........
And........after all that, guess what? Yep
i'm buying it.......still.
Not because i am pro Ubisoft or a suck-up.....
P.S. No, i'm not taking your comments personally......

LINK TO MY SH 3 MODS
Feuer Frei! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 10:14 AM   #98
Feuer Frei!
Navy Seal

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 17

Something like this, Racerboy?

Or maybe in yellow? Probably better for shock value

LINK TO MY SH 3 MODS
Feuer Frei! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 01:15 PM   #99
sav112
Gunner

Downloads: 0

Lost most of my interest in this a few months back, I’m not buying it mainly as I cant play it on my old five year old rig and as nothing game wise knocks my socks off I’ll keep the old girl running just now.

Carrier Command will of course if it lives up to its hype, but this will be bought five or six months down the line or over Xmas as a treat to myself.

I’ll look on to see when it comes out what you all think.
Old 02-22-10, 01:44 PM   #100
Méo
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 240

Quote:
Think about this seriously?

I've been thinking about it... ...this is just a computer game.
Méo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 08:15 PM   #101
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Quote:
I'm sorry but I used to like Ubisoft. Now all I want to see is them fail miserably. And this goes for any other software company that pushes this type of DRM on us.
Agree 100% RB!!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drm, poll-o-rama, sh5, ubisoft