SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-04-12, 03:19 AM   #1
pcohen
Shore leave

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0
Default DOS Enquiry PLEASE.

Hello everybody.
I am looking for a Program that will Install DOS 5.0 or DOS 6.02 without using DosBox or DeFend Reloaded to install on a Computer and Laptop that don’t have a Floppy Drive. This is for a Computer and Laptop both running WindowsXP PRO.
Any Help Please.
Many thanks
Paul
pcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-12, 03:42 AM   #2
The Enigma
Seer of visions

Downloads: 31

Perhaps a boot able (MS-Dos) USB with the MS dos setup on it could solve the problem?
Another way to achieve access to dos is using a Windows 98 boot CD.
More solutions are offered on the web.
Google is your friend.

Some links:
DOS-on-USB
bootdisk.com

The Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-12, 03:55 AM   #3
danasan
Elite Spam Hunter

Downloads: 39

It's a bit tricky, but you can create a burnable CD - image from the DOS discs with that little tool here: http://www.winimage.com/

I used that and it worked for me in a similar situation. Oh, first you need this one: http://www.chrysocome.net/rawwrite to make it bootable.

I have found only tutorials in German so far, but you could look for "create a bootable CD from DOS floppy discs"

"I invite you to go inside this submergible hole in the water where you can nicely hide from destroyers."

Last edited by danasan; 02-04-12 at 04:06 AM.
danasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-12, 12:45 AM   #4
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Easiest thing to do would be get the DOS version you want to use. Create an empty primary, active partition (for Dos - remember - not too big!). Install XP, then, I strongly suggest using LILO unless your familiar with modifying NTLOADER. Run the SYS command with proper arguments from either a boot cd/usb to put the dos boot files on the partition set for DOS. Copy the DOS tools/files/etc over. Reboot - you will be in Winxp. Now, edit the bootloader or its config (depending on which you used) to give you the option of which partition to boot from, how long to give you to choose, and what the default option is if you don't and time expires.

Once you make the changes, save em, reboot - and if you did it all right, you now will see the options.

Just remember - DOS is OLD - your going to have a devil of a time getting some pieces - mainly nics, sound and graphix to work "right" in a true DOS environment. Your limited to SVGA, soundblaster pro/pro2 (through IRQ/DMA) and LANMAN network support. If your not sure about some of that - or things dont work - especially for sound - check your cmos for settings that you can change to match your needs. IRQ conflicts were, and are a real pain......

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-12, 11:38 AM   #5
Thomen
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHaplo View Post
Easiest thing to do would be get the DOS version you want to use. Create an empty primary, active partition (for Dos - remember - not too big!). Install XP, then, I strongly suggest using LILO unless your familiar with modifying NTLOADER. Run the SYS command with proper arguments from either a boot cd/usb to put the dos boot files on the partition set for DOS. Copy the DOS tools/files/etc over. Reboot - you will be in Winxp. Now, edit the bootloader or its config (depending on which you used) to give you the option of which partition to boot from, how long to give you to choose, and what the default option is if you don't and time expires.

Once you make the changes, save em, reboot - and if you did it all right, you now will see the options.

Just remember - DOS is OLD - your going to have a devil of a time getting some pieces - mainly nics, sound and graphix to work "right" in a true DOS environment. Your limited to SVGA, soundblaster pro/pro2 (through IRQ/DMA) and LANMAN network support. If your not sure about some of that - or things dont work - especially for sound - check your cmos for settings that you can change to match your needs. IRQ conflicts were, and are a real pain......
Why not just load it into a virtual machine? Way easier, less hassle and almost no chance to screw up your system. Just down load the free VMPlayer install DOS and be done.
Thomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-12, 11:41 AM   #6
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

VM's have great positive factors, but they can also be royal pains in the backside. Not to mention that they can require a bit of knowhow to set up.

I tried to provide the "old school" way of doing things - simple and efficient, though not necessarily foolproof.

Captain Haplo
Old 02-05-12, 01:04 PM   #7
pcohen
Shore leave

Hi CaptainHaplo, thanks for reply, and also to the guys above who are also trying to help.

Unfortunately, had to work Saturday and Today, hence delay in reply, Should have been off.

I have DOS-on-USB version 71 but get the impression this is for Windows7, maybe wrong of course.

This comes with Instructions on how to Install but can only get as far as:-

Instruction 18. After a reboot, you will hopefully come to a DOS-style screen that will tell you that DOS-on-USB has loaded, However, all I get is a Black DOS looking Screen that says Nothing snd won't allow me to type anything in to it.

Does anybody know Please if there is a DOS 5.0 or 6.2 Version of DOS-on-USB.

I am trying to run an old game called Silent Hunter Commanders Edition that runs Perfectly well on my Computer, used to work on my Laptop, but now Does'nt, which is where I want it.

Have tried copying ALL the Files across to my Laptop but without any success.

Any more Help would be Gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks

Paul

P.S Not looking to Format and reinstall Windows, unless absolutely neccessary, because everthing else on LAPTOP and COMPUTER are running fine and Don't want to lose it all.
Old 02-05-12, 01:23 PM   #8
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

ok gotcha.

DosBox or similiar would be my first recommendation, but you already nixed those in your OP.

Next best option is this:

http://www.make-bootable-disks.com/u...drive-120.html

its directions for making a Dos 6.22 bootable USB drive. You could even copy the game itself to the usb drive and have it available to play on just about any computer!

Dos 6.22 is the last M$ version of "pure" Dos - version 7x and above were the underpinnings for W9x and above - seriously pared down, less functional. I would not use anything above 6.22 if your looking for real DOS.

Captain Haplo
Old 02-08-12, 05:29 AM   #9
pcohen
Shore leave

Default Problem Finding/downloaded

Hello Again, more problems i'm afraid.

Have downloaded MS-DOS 6.22 ISO file but cannot work out how to open it. Also it tells me it needs UNetbootin-Bootable USB Drive and, although loads of info, cannot find Download link.

Regards

Paul
Old 02-08-12, 10:10 AM   #10
The Enigma
Seer of visions

Downloads: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cohen View Post
Hello Again, more problems i'm afraid.

Have downloaded MS-DOS 6.22 ISO file but cannot work out how to open it. Also it tells me it needs UNetbootin-Bootable USB Drive and, although loads of info, cannot find Download link.

Regards

Paul
There is another proggy you can use:
HP Drive Key v2.0.6

You need winrar or 7-zip to unpack that file.

The Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-12, 05:58 AM   #11
pcohen
Shore leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Enigma View Post
There is another proggy you can use:
HP Drive Key v2.0.6

You need winrar or 7-zip to unpack that file.
Hello Again, appologies for long delay in replying, have been using up remaining annual holiday entitlement, did manage to get away for a short holiday.

Have downloaded your suggestion HP Drive Key v2.0.6 into a temporary file to have a look at but as usual with me, I Don't know what to do with it. it looks like a DOS file of some sort, but as with all suggestions so far there is no Readme file for Novices like me and although it looks like a File that could be copied and Pasted into another file and Overwritten not sure where File should go without Messing up my Computer.

A Readme file with Instructions for this would have been be helpfull to an idiot like me.

Regards

Paul
Old 03-28-12, 07:31 AM   #12
pcohen
Shore leave

Still Stuck with this Please, still not working.

Looks like its died the death.
Old 03-30-12, 12:49 AM   #13
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Tickets!. . . Tickets please!!!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote