SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-23-12, 10:33 AM   #16
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Could just remove that duct.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-12, 11:40 AM   #17
krashkart
Navy Seal

Downloads: 100
Uploads: 0

Maybe. It holds the heatsink down on the CPU. I'm not sure if there are any fittings that would secure a third-party heatsink. Here's a look at the processor area to give you a better idea of what I have to work with:

(Older photograph from when the computer was given to me, hence the dust bunnies. It's much cleaner in there now.)
Old 02-23-12, 11:58 AM   #18
Arclight
Navy Seal

Yes, I see your problem... I've seen ducts in Dells, but in those cases it was no more than an ill conceived contraption screwed to a side panel.

Old 02-23-12, 12:23 PM   #19
krashkart
Navy Seal

This duct integrates the heatsink. Two screws secure it to the case and the pressure from that is what holds the heatsink to the processor.

Dell sure does like to screw with us, don't they?
Old 02-23-12, 01:20 PM   #20
krashkart
Navy Seal

I almost forgot:

Do not drop a HD6850 on your bare foot -- it will leave a mark. *ouch*
Old 02-28-12, 08:41 PM   #21
krashkart
Navy Seal

Dropped in an HD5450 today. Maxed all the card options and fired up SH3 with 16km atmosphere and am getting right around 30 fps on open seas, vsync on. Assaulted a convoy earlier this afternoon and averaged 36 fps without vsync and using stock atmosphere. Slight performance hit when viewing the Uboat from behind. Particles over geometry will be a problem in some games, I suspect.

For the second test I fired up Virtual Sailor, 1920x1080@60 resolution w/ maxed gfx options, and loaded in Jason Simpson's newest Armidale release. I used that boat because it slaughtered the framerates on my previous card. Sailed past Dover using the England scenery and averaged 12 fps in external view, looking at the land across the boat from starboard. Looking out to sea gave it three more frames for a total of 15 fps. Internal views gave me comparable results, which is a big surprise for that boat.

Third test was using the VME addon for Operation Flashpoint, A Shau Valley island. That gave my previous card some troubles, which were manageable with reduced graphics settings. Visibility this time around set to ~3200m, all shadows on and everything else important maxed out. No HWTL. The mission started out with rain and fog. I don't remember if I had the screen rez maxed out beforehand or not, and I didn't touch those settings this time around. I only ran it for a couple of minutes, just long enough to get a quick impression of how well it will run with this card. Satisfactory. Processor needs an upgrade, but I'll wait for a new build.

Overall I'm happy with this card. This particular Dell can be upgraded. I don't know about the rest. Just be sure the video card you order will fit.

The 6850 I had originally tried to install has inspired a barebones Crossfire build, and when I can afford it I'll go attention whore on this forum again with plenty of questions.
Old 02-28-12, 08:58 PM   #22
Arclight
Navy Seal

As far as I know Crossfire/SLI doesn't work for SH. Might want to look into that first if that's the main aim.

Old 02-28-12, 09:05 PM   #23
krashkart
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
As far as I know Crossfire/SLI doesn't work for SH. Might want to look into that first if that's the main aim.
Oh, didn't know that. So only certain games work with that? Won't hurt me a bit to stick with one card anyway. I just thought it would be a fun build.
Old 02-28-12, 09:16 PM   #24
Arclight
Navy Seal

I'll just link to an article which happens to mirror my sentiments towards it:
Quote:
Next up is multi-GPU in the form of NVIDIA's SLI and AMD's CrossfireX. The basics here a straight forward. Don't bother. Now, that's going to upset people successfully running multi-GPU rigs, particularly SLI systems, which are definitely preferable to AMD's flaky CrossfireX technology.

But the case against easily outweighs the case for. Number one, multi-GPU in all flavours is less reliable. It's hard to be sure if it's working optimally. In my view, guaranteed if slightly lower performance is preferable to the constant worry that comes with multi-GPU. What's more, multi-GPU performance isn't always what it seems to be based on benchmark results. One reason why is micro-stuttering. We've not the space and I've not the inclination to explain why here. If you want to learn more, I suggest you start here. If I were you, I'd just trust me on this one. Life is happier with single-GPU.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...raphics-cards/

Imho it's just another hassle, with no guarantees of improvement while adding complications. But some people love it; YMMV.

Old 02-28-12, 09:25 PM   #25
krashkart
Navy Seal

Well that settles it in one paragraph - no Crossfire for me.