SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-08-12, 10:22 PM   #1
Flaxpants
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0
Default I have $1000- which laptop?

Hi shipmates, I am in the market for a laptop and I have a budget of $1000 to spend. I know my way around desktop PC's pretty well, but I have never before owned a laptop (notebook?- whatever they call them these days) so I am trying to feel my way through the mass of options and am finding it fairly daunting. With technology moving so fast it's like trying to shoot at a moving target... I nearly bought something yesterday for around $950 , the specs looked ok to me, but when I got back home and checked the GPU out online (GT540M) I found that it had perhaps the worse performance/ price ratio of all.

What do I want the laptop for? Well, I am buying it for work firstly as I will be on the move for the next few months, but I also would like to get something that I can use for gaming.

So I'm looking for the best bang for my buck, and am wondering if anyone out there might be kind enough to offer me some advice/ recommendations on the subject, as heck!- I'm lost in the dark!
Flaxpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-12, 10:34 PM   #2
von Kinderei
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 150

The Battalion 101 looks good

http://www.ibuypower.com/IbpPages/Notebook.aspx
Old 02-08-12, 11:01 PM   #3
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Quote:
I have $1000- which laptop?
I think the money should be transferred to my account, then you won't have to worry about such decisions, just pm me for the details!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-12, 11:35 PM   #4
Flaxpants
Ace of the Deep

That Battalion looks like a good deal for sure. The problem is I live in Thailand and I have never seen nor heard of that make around here. I will definately look into it though.

@Reece- Good idea.Presumably then you will look into it for me and make the purchase? Can I send you my wife over as well- her name's Ping Pong, and she's no trouble. Really.

Just had this recommended to me:
http://www.msi.com/product/nb/GT683.html

Last edited by Flaxpants; 02-08-12 at 11:56 PM.
Old 02-09-12, 06:19 AM   #5
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

In all honesty I wouldn't touch msi products even at half price, I have had a couple of their peripherals and they were cheap crap, but that was around 12 months ago, maybe they got their act together, but then maybe not!
Have a look at some of these: (I'm no expert with laptops)
http://www.msy.com.au/default.jsp?category=10

Old 02-09-12, 03:56 PM   #6
the_tyrant
Admiral

Downloads: 58

As you have mentioned that you travel a lot with your laptop, I would recommend a smaller machine

I am a student who goes to school every day with a laptop, and I have to say, moving down from a 15" to a 13" does wonders for my back

Personally I use a Fujitsu. I 100% recommend them. They are extremely reliable, with great hardware design. My TH700 is great! It is a touch screen 13 inch device, and I have to say, the touch on the fujitsu is 100x better than that on my old HP touchsmart. It's fingerprint scanner is the best that I have ever used, much better than the one on HPs and Toshibas. Most of all, many Fujitsu devices are completely modular, for example I usually remove my CD and replace it with an empty drive bay to save weight, but I can also plug in a battery, hard drive, etc.
Fujitsus are not really built for hardcore gaming, but I recommend them nonetheless.

My dad uses an Alienware, and he loves it. He uses the 11 inch model, he likes it (mainly because he wants to rock the "Cool dad" image), it is much better for gaming than mine, and I would recommend that you give it a look if you are a serious mobile gamer.

Since you travel a lot, DO NOT get a 17 or 19 inch device, its great for gaming, but it breaks your back.
Old 02-09-12, 05:17 PM   #7
longam
Admiral

Downloads: 26

Also consider ASUS, they make a good i5 CPU laptop for around $800 that games well.
longam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 07:44 PM   #8
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaxpants View Post
Can I send you my wife over as well- her name's Ping Pong, and she's no trouble. Really.
Don't believe him, Reece - his wife is actually called Ting Tong Macadangdang (as featured on the reliable BBC documentary 'Little Britain'). Seen below, with Flaxpants.

Old 02-09-12, 10:12 PM   #9
Flaxpants
Ace of the Deep

Cheers guys.

Well I've never encountered an MSI machine before, but I'll take on board what you say Reece, don't want it falling apart on me...

Asus, and Acer are very popular over here and I was looking at a few of their machines just a few days ago. I am tending towards something like that, or a lenovo, there's a couple of those in a similair price range with decent specs. Also I can get finance on an Asus....

@the _tyrant- yes, good advice on the size sir. In my case it's not too much of an issue as I can get Ting Tong, sorry, Ping Pong to carry it for me.

You got me Berbunch I thought my sweep-over looked better than that.....
Old 02-10-12, 07:38 AM   #10
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
Don't believe him, Reece - his wife is actually called Ting Tong Macadangdang (as featured on the reliable BBC documentary 'Little Britain'). Seen below, with Flaxpants.
Aren't they a lovely couple!
But then beauty is in the eye of the beholder! or is it beauty is only skin deep!

Old 02-11-12, 11:58 PM   #11
Flaxpants
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Aren't they a lovely couple!
But then beauty is in the eye of the beholder! or is it beauty is only skin deep!
It's both. But then my mrs has the skin of an elephant, so in her case it's about 3 inches deep.
Old 02-12-12, 12:24 AM   #12
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaxpants View Post
It's both. But then my mrs has the skin of an elephant, so in her case it's about 3 inches deep.
The mind boggles! and on that note I remain silent!

Old 02-12-12, 11:45 PM   #13
JSLTIGER
The Old Man

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by longam View Post
Also consider ASUS, they make a good i5 CPU laptop for around $800 that games well.

See my sig!
Intel Core i7 4770K|ASUS Z87Pro|32GB DDR3 RAM|11GB EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti Black|256GB Crucial M4 SSD+2TB WD HDD|4X LG BD-RE|32" Acer Predator Z321QU 165Hz G-Sync (2540x1440)|Logitech Z-323 2.1 Sound|Win 10 Pro

Explorer (MSI GL63 8RE-629 Laptop):
Intel Core i7 8750H|16GB DDR4 RAM|6GB GeForce GTX 1060|128GB SSD+1TB HDD|15.6" Widescreen (1920x1080)|Logitech R-20 2.1 Sound|Win 10 Home
JSLTIGER is offline   Reply With Quote