SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-02-12, 01:20 PM   #1
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1
Default Yellow light blinking

I just notice a yellow light blinking, two green lights & now this yellow light. A yellow blinking light means ther is something wrong right? Couple of weeks back I installed a new sound card, had to move the Gfx card to the other PCI-e slot so the sound card could fit cause the gfx card fan was in the way.

After installation was done went into Bios just checked everything in there, couldn't disable the onboard sound there was no option in the bios but I uninstalled it in windows. PCI-e states enabled. There was just one option about the PCI-e no PCI-e slot one or slot 2.

The fans are also louder than usual thou this pc the fans have always been quite loud.

This is a custom built pc (bought custom build, not built by me) have checked if gfx & sound card are in ther slots properly, pc has been running fine since the card installation no lock ups or anything just normal.

Oh I never connected a cord from the sound card to the dvd drive cause I never had one but it stated to do this in the Sound card manual would this cause the blinking light no cord lets flash a yellow light to startle the owner kinda thing.

Temperature in bios is normal for cpu and fans

This yellow light is causing me to go all paranoid

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-12, 01:52 PM   #2
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Where is this light? You're not talking about the HD activity light, right?

Also, if the graphics card is not in the primary slot there's a good chance it's only getting 8x PCI-E lanes instead of the full 16x.

CD-audio cable is so antiquated one wonders why they still put the connectors on there.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-12, 05:07 PM   #3
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
Where is this light? You're not talking about the HD activity light, right?

Also, if the graphics card is not in the primary slot there's a good chance it's only getting 8x PCI-E lanes instead of the full 16x.

CD-audio cable is so antiquated one wonders why they still put the connectors on there.
Had a proper look the yellow light has a Fan icon above it didn't notice it before because of the black color so this means one of the fans could be dodgy? So I turn off pc open up case lied it on its side to get a better look, turn on pc and all fans are working and there is no longer a yellow light blinking if I move the case in the upright position the yellow light starts blinking but all the fans are still working. So I am just leaving it on its side for the time being.

Will check again in the bios about the 8x PCI settings and if your right I hope ther is an option to set it to 16x

Old 02-02-12, 06:02 PM   #4
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Won't find that in BIOS (I think), try GPU-Z.

(Under "bus interface", it will say how many lanes it's "@". Motherboards with PCI-E have a limited number of lanes; generally the 2nd PCI-E 16x slot has 8 lanes, and the primary switches to 8x as well when the secondary is occupied. Make sure you always put a graphics card in primary and keep the secondary empty. One of the smaller 4x or 1x slots is fine for audio.)

Light might just be because of low RPM. My old Asus board used to complain about CPU fan failure on each boot, but it was just spinning really slowly.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-12, 07:52 PM   #5
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

I haven't checked in bio yet, loaded up SI for windows and under System slots it states

System slot 4 PCIE#4-x4 in use (unknown). This will be the video card

System slot 6 PCIE#6-x6 available. Video card use to be in this one.

I just presumed both pci-e slots were the same.

Moving it back to primary I will have to remove the sound card and go back to onboard sound. I wasn't too fussy at what type of sound card I got as long as I had surround sound so I practically bought the first card I found and this PCI card (creative labs Xfi XtremeGamer) is far better than the onboard sound.

Nor did I think to look under the hood first to see if no other hddware will be in the way

I'll put the video card back in the primary.

Buy a pci-e sound card.

Thanks Arclight

Old 02-02-12, 08:56 PM   #6
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171
Uploads: 0

regarding the fan it sounds like the bush is worn, I would think about replacing it unless when you place the case upright a wire moves into the blades!
I have both my onboard sound enabled and my PCI-E Xtreme sound card active, I use them both, works a treat:

I use the XFi Xtreme for Windows environment and the onboard SoundMax in various Ham utilities!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-12, 10:55 PM   #7
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
regarding the fan it sounds like the bush is worn, I would think about replacing it unless when you place the case upright a wire moves into the blades!
I have both my onboard sound enabled and my PCI-E Xtreme sound card active, I use them both, works a treat:

I use the XFi Xtreme for Windows environment and the onboard SoundMax in various Ham utilities!
Everything's back to normal, moved the video card back, gone back to on board sound no fan problems, no blinking lights.

Old 02-06-12, 01:40 AM   #8
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171
Uploads: 0

Excellent news!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote