Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-19-07, 11:57 AM   #1
bmtabd
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Silent Hunter 1 on Vista

Greetings to all,

Laptop: Gateway MT3705, Core duo 1.73mhz, 2 gig RAM, 100 gig HD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200m with 64 meg dedicated and up to 256 shared.

I have always enjoyed SH1 on my Dell 600m with Windows XP. The Dell died and I now have the above described laptop with Windows Vista. Not possible to install XP since this is a new laptop with only Vista drivers written. Have used Don Wells' SH1 work around to get SH1 working under XP.

Current laptop too slow (Radeon Xpress 200m the culprit) to play SH4. (purchased game, tried, way too low frames per second to play.)

Vista does not have a full screen DOS window and will not allow install of SH1. Does anyone know if it is possible to install SH1 on Vista, and if so, how?

Much appreciated for any input.

Mike
bmtabd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-07, 01:21 PM   #2
bishop
A-ganger

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmtabd
Greetings to all,

Laptop: Gateway MT3705, Core duo 1.73mhz, 2 gig RAM, 100 gig HD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200m with 64 meg dedicated and up to 256 shared.

I have always enjoyed SH1 on my Dell 600m with Windows XP. The Dell died and I now have the above described laptop with Windows Vista. Not possible to install XP since this is a new laptop with only Vista drivers written. Have used Don Wells' SH1 work around to get SH1 working under XP.

Current laptop too slow (Radeon Xpress 200m the culprit) to play SH4. (purchased game, tried, way too low frames per second to play.)

Vista does not have a full screen DOS window and will not allow install of SH1. Does anyone know if it is possible to install SH1 on Vista, and if so, how?

Much appreciated for any input.

Mike
I haven't tried it yet (I'll be updrading one on my pc's to Vista in the next week), but I've read that DosBox 0.70 runs well under Vista, that's what I use to run Silent Hunter on XP, it works very well. You might want to give that a try.
bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-07, 05:32 PM   #3
Monica Lewinsky
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmtabd
Go to Microsoft's WEB site. Search for "Virtual PC" - it's free. Download & install it. Start it. one of the questions is what flavor of DOS or Windows you want. I'd pick DOS 6.3, maybe DOS 5.5. It uses a chuck of hard drive space to accomplish this. Install your SH1, play and enjoy yourself.

Sure hope you have 2 gig of RAM, 4 gig of PC RAM would be better. If you have 1 gig of RAM, I would not try the above suggestion.

I ordered a new laptop with Vista on it TODAY! Gonna try it soon. Delivery date will occur after 5/9/07 ... so keep in touch.

Anchors away.

I have not tried this yet. Spouse's PC is Vista and said spouse want's NO GAMES on it since it runs our business. This year I am junking my PC and will get a new PC with Vista. Gonna try this myself but using SH2. Want to see it one more time before I throw it away.

Sink them all!

Last edited by Monica Lewinsky; 04-19-07 at 05:47 PM.
Monica Lewinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-07, 08:22 PM   #4
bmtabd
Nub

Downloads: 0
Silent Hunter 1 on Vista

Thanks so much for the replies. Yeah, I went from my Dell with XP to Vista Home Premium on this new Gateway MT3705. If and when you go to Vista, be ready for some real adjusting. For example, Nero Ultra and Paint Shop Pro X both required large patches to work. Also, I love trains and my Microsoft Train Simulator would hang when I exited, forcing a reboot. Had to use the "Compatability mode" and set it to Windows 95 and as an administrator to get it to work properly.
Vista is a much more elegant OS and as I get used to it I see that many workings now go much more smoothly. All in all, it is the wave of the future and I hope that many other software applications issue updates to work with it.
BTW, I went from 1 gig RAM to 2 gig: what a positive difference.
I think I will try the MS Virtual PC, let me know if you try it yourself.
Good luck, thank you, and stay safe.
Mike
bmtabd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-07, 11:44 PM   #5
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

that would be cool if it works
Old 05-10-07, 10:33 AM   #6
Monica Lewinsky
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 11

Gave you some bum advice on the use of Microsoft's Virtual PC 2007. If you have any version of the Home series of Vista [as in Home Premium edition] - it is not going to work. It will tell you you have the wrong version.

Virtual PC 2007 for Vista needs the Business Edition or Ultimate edition or XP Professional.

Sink them all!
Monica Lewinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-07, 10:36 AM   #7
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 93

I read on the Wiki somewhere that you can ignore that error message during install and VPC2007 will still run under Vista Home.
Old 10-17-07, 04:26 PM   #8
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Any word?
Old 11-01-07, 11:14 AM   #9
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Found this: