SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-21-07, 01:31 PM   #16
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedhealy
If you liked Downfall, you'll like Conspiracy.

http://www.amazon.com/Conspiracy-Ken...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd
That was a brilliant one off drama, my only draw back to it was the DVD Cover they messed up on Stanley Tucci rank as Eichmann, four studs=Major. What the heck is that stupid small one.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-07, 03:23 PM   #17
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

/adds Stalingrad and Conspiracy to his queue

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-07, 05:59 PM   #18
STEED
Lucky Jack

One more to the list, Robert Carlyle as Hitler in his early years was a great drama.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 02-21-07, 06:36 PM   #19
flintlock
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Conspiracy is a great film.

HBO Original Films have some wonderful titles out. Another one of their films which I really enjoyed is called The Gathering Storm. Albert Finney as Winston Churchill really does deliver a superb performance.

Very much recommend.

<image deleted>

Last edited by flintlock; 02-26-07 at 06:26 PM.
flintlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-07, 08:10 PM   #20
Donner
Officer

Downloads: 113

Conspiracy is a wonderfully made, well cast, and terribly disturbing movie. Not one time is a dead body seen, but the cold, calculating and matter-of-fact discussions about the 'Final Solution' sends chills up and down one's spine.
Old 02-22-07, 12:28 PM   #21
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintlock

HBO Original Films have some wonderul titles out. Another one of their films which I really enjoyed is called The Gathering Storm. Albert Finney as Winston Churchill really does deliver a superb performance.

Very much recommend.

Yes indeed another good one and let us not forget the great performance from the late Ronnie Barker as Winston's butler. And of course Albert Finney as Winston Churchill a great performance.

Old 02-22-07, 01:48 PM   #22
Iceman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

I wondered what you guys thought of this film...I watched it a few months ago and now have it recorded again.I thought it was a well made movie but wondered how accurate it was....It seems like it would have been pretty accurate in that many of Hitler's subordantes thought one thing yet couldn't do anything about the situation...just spiral down the drain as had happened....trippy movie.
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-07, 11:39 AM   #23
Dan D
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED
One more to the list, Robert Carlyle as Hitler in his early years was a great drama.

I saw that one a few weeks ago on TV. Robert Carlyle doing the Hitler was fascinating.
It is interesting to watch a Hitler movie from Britain, a good one actually.

My own recommendation would be von Donnermarck's outstanding movie "The Life of Others" (Oscar for best foreign language film yesterday). It shows how the former East Germany, relatively tiny with 16 million people, was controlled by the East German Ministerium für Staatssicherheit (Stasi) that had about 90.000 employees and a network of hundreds of thousands unofficial employees who filed secret reports about co-workers, neighbours, friends and familiy members, voluntarily or because they were blackmailed to collaborate.

The same thing in "brown":
If you are more into Geheime Staatspolizei (Gestapo), then I would recommend "Sophie Scholl-the last days". This movie is based on the original Gestapo interrogation protocols that were rediscovered some years ago. Question (SS man Robert Mohr), anwer (Sophie Scholl).
Dan D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-07, 12:19 PM   #24
Heibges
Sea Lord

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr chris
Quote:
I really like that scene when Hitler goes into a rage and throws his coloured pencils down and declares the war is lost, the times I read that in books. Classic film one of the best films I have ever seen on the last days of the Berlin Battle.
Gotta agree with you there Steed. I really thought the shots of when everyone in the cellar is haveing a huge party and outside the city is falling apart was very well done. It just made me thing they did not want to face up to what was going to happen to them so they tryed to lose themselfs in drink. Was glad the truedel Jungel made it out safe she just seem to be a rabbit caught in the headlights.
This was really a great movie. I liked how the theme of loyalty was explored. In this regard in reminded me a lot of Oberst Redl.

I always laugh when I see folks who are supposed to be in charge throwing things. I know in the Army showing outward signs of frustration is seriously frowned upon, and can really tank you on your efficiency report. From my friends who attended Ranger School, I also heard that throwing you canteen, ruck, or helmet is a good way to get yourself "voted" out of Ranger School.
U.Kdt.Hdb B. I. 28) This possibility of using the hydrophone to help in detecting surface ships should, however, be restricted to those cases where the submarine is unavoidably compelled to stay below the surface.

http://www.hackworth.com/
Heibges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-07, 12:26 PM   #25
Heibges
Sea Lord

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flintlock

HBO Original Films have some wonderul titles out. Another one of their films which I really enjoyed is called The Gathering Storm. Albert Finney as Winston Churchill really does deliver a superb performance.

Very much recommend.

Yes indeed another good one and let us not forget the great performance from the late Ronnie Barker as Winston's butler. And of course Albert Finney as Winston Churchill a great performance.
HBO definitely does some great stuff.

I thought Conspiracy was good, but not as good as Downfall.

The Gathering Storm I thought was a dry.

I would also recommend Stalin with Robert Duvall, also by HBO Films. My favorite part of the movie is the Nikita Krushchev character. In every scene he is eating, drinking, laughing, and generally spitting all at the same time. He's a total idiot. Until, a scene in the bathroom towards the end of the movie, when his face become totally serious, and totally deadpan says basically that acting like an idiot is how he survives.
U.Kdt.Hdb B. I. 28) This possibility of using the hydrophone to help in detecting surface ships should, however, be restricted to those cases where the submarine is unavoidably compelled to stay below the surface.

Old 07-01-07, 12:36 PM   #26
Heibges
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan D
Quote:

I saw that one a few weeks ago on TV. Robert Carlyle doing the Hitler was fascinating.
It is interesting to watch a Hitler movie from Britain, a good one actually.

My own recommendation would be von Donnermarck's outstanding movie "The Life of Others" (Oscar for best foreign language film yesterday). It shows how the former East Germany, relatively tiny with 16 million people, was controlled by the East German Ministerium für Staatssicherheit (Stasi) that had about 90.000 employees and a network of hundreds of thousands unofficial employees who filed secret reports about co-workers, neighbours, friends and familiy members, voluntarily or because they were blackmailed to collaborate.

The same thing in "brown":
If you are more into Geheime Staatspolizei (Gestapo), then I would recommend "Sophie Scholl-the last days". This movie is based on the original Gestapo interrogation protocols that were rediscovered some years ago. Question (SS man Robert Mohr), anwer (Sophie Scholl).
I would suggest Mephisto, about an actor in Germany in the 20's and 30's, and Oberst Redl, about a famous traitor in the Austro-Hungarian Army before and during WWI. I think there is actually a third movie in the trilogy, but I can' t think what it is. They are both directed by Istvan Szabo. And they both star Klaus Maria Brandauer.

Mephisto
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082736/

Oberst Redl aka Colonel Redl
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089716/

The third movie, which I have not seen is Hanussen (1988)

Hanussen
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095276/

Old 07-08-07, 01:25 PM   #27
zombiewolf
中国水兵

Quote:

Wow I must se this and Stalingrad thanks