SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-24-17, 06:28 AM   #1
stevieshae
Yak-38M "Forger-A" Pilot

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0
Default New To Sub Sims[Question]

So I got cold waters after watching magztv. I am new and I am the type of person that wants easy mode then work my way up through the difficulties. I got the more subs mod, being told just adds more subs, doesn't change mechanics to much so I hope that doesn't screw me. I just want to become a decent player and learn the game with having to pause and look at key binds every 5 secs(lol). I would love if anyone had some advice that was more than, "just play" I understand that but what I mean is, are there mods that help, maybe some key bind re configs that make more sense? Or maybe just understanding what I should need to know in each scenario. I saw that Turkey makes some awesome vids but to be completely honest I am not at the point where those help. I love historical accuracy. but if I don't understand terminology and the foundation All the jargon means nothing to me. I was told the forums here are very helpful, so sorry for the newbie question.
stevieshae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-17, 06:57 AM   #2
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieshae View Post
So I got cold waters after watching magztv. I am new and I am the type of person that wants easy mode then work my way up through the difficulties. I got the more subs mod, being told just adds more subs, doesn't change mechanics to much so I hope that doesn't screw me. I just want to become a decent player and learn the game with having to pause and look at key binds every 5 secs(lol). I would love if anyone had some advice that was more than, "just play" I understand that but what I mean is, are there mods that help, maybe some key bind re configs that make more sense? Or maybe just understanding what I should need to know in each scenario. I saw that Turkey makes some awesome vids but to be completely honest I am not at the point where those help. I love historical accuracy. but if I don't understand terminology and the foundation All the jargon means nothing to me. I was told the forums here are very helpful, so sorry for the newbie question.
That's what this place is here for. Try to remember everybody was in your same shoes once. All that being said JUST GO PLAY!!!

Seriously though, do the tutorials, they will teach you how the controls work. Read the manual, its surprisingly well written and to the point. Take some of the knowledge you acquire there, and apply it to your game play. After you "graduate" from your training, do some single missions like "The Duel" preferably with a really good submarine like a 688.

Later on you can learn some of the intricacies but start by going out, blowing stuff up and trying not to die. I think there are some good tutorials on steam as well but you will learn a whole lot by playing.

Learn what the thermal layer is and how it works. Learn about the sig-comp and how the fire control works (bearing over time, developing solution) and that will take you into the more advanced stuff.

Also for the keybinds, honestly you may be best going with the 1.07c beta (right click Cold Waters in your Steam Library, properties, betas, and select the drop down) not only does that have auto-pilot but you can hover your mouse over most things to reveal the keybind for it. Hope this helps.
Old 08-24-17, 08:41 AM   #3
stevieshae
Yak-38M "Forger-A" Pilot

Downloads: 33

Thank you I will check it out, do you know if the more subs mod works with the beta?
stevieshae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-17, 09:28 AM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

stevieshae!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-17, 09:40 AM   #5
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Thank you I will check it out, do you know if the more subs mod works with the beta?
Yes it does, along with just about anything else i can think of.
Old 08-24-17, 12:59 PM   #6
PacificWolf
Ensign

Downloads: 237
Uploads: 3

Quote:
1. Patience.(Seriously, learn from mistakes, analize the situation).

2. Find You're sub - US NAVY are more quieter and have better passive sonar then Russian NAVY, meanwhile Russians are the opposite, beter active sonar louder boats.

3. If You are in tac-map view (when steering the boat using coursor remember LEFT mouse buton is FAST AND LOUD and RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON is SLOW AND SILENT, it is especially important while closing on targets).

4. Try aproaching targets in: 25, 20, 15, 10 Kyd and see what option is optimal to the situation You're in.

5. Well. Play, learn, have fun.

"All ships can dive, only submarines can surface"

Last edited by PacificWolf; 08-24-17 at 01:13 PM.
PacificWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-17, 02:41 PM   #7
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > stevieshae

Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-17, 10:16 AM   #8
Wiz33
Navy Dude

Downloads: 23

Check out the tutorial in the following youtube channels. it'll get you up to speed fairly quick.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9b...NaMPsK9GtzM5dQ

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHI...31q_hXlw6ZDtOQ
Wiz33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help needed, noob, tutorial