SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-03-20, 06:58 AM   #1
BlaxChrom
Nub

Downloads: 23
Uploads: 0
Default Help, a glitch stops me from playing entirely

First off I apologise if there is already a solution to this and just didnt succeed in googling it

This has happened to me before on a different computer, I decided to play SH4 again since i thought a new pc would have helped with this.

Instance 1:
Trying to sneak into some Honshu port to take pics, coming back, im getting a lot of passive sonar contacts (hundreds and hundreds) FPS is getting drastically worse with time compression until the game slows down to a crawl and then hard crashes.

Instance 2 (yesterday):
Sink a passanger ship, think to myself that the japs didnt like that since they were sending a plane after a plane to find me. At a safe distance, i could see at least 10 planes in the air on the air search radar at a time. Same as before, the FPS are really bad in time compression and as Im returning to base, the game grinds to a halt and crashes entirely.

Both of these seem to have a problem with the game spawning ships/planes infinitely and not knowing when to stop and this eventually kills the poor old game, even provided with 32GB of ram. Ive tried many recommended fixes like using 3rd party software to force the game to use more ram.
Understandable if there isnt a fix out there or if I just didnt do something right, but im looking for any help out there
BlaxChrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-20, 03:29 PM   #2
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Downloads: 59

Welcome!

Unsure if this will fix the issue you're seeing but I edited a file to reduce the beehive of airplanes but don't recall which folder/file it was... I suspect one of the experienced Kaleun will chime in with better information.
jimmbbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-20, 04:06 PM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

What are your computer specs BlaxChrom? Which version of the game do you have (v1.3?? v1.5??) and where did you purchase it (ie: Steam, Amazon, etc)?? What is the "path" of your install, such as "C:\Program Files (x86) \ Ubisoft \Silent Hunter..."?? Did you activate any mods on it?

Also, "Welcome to participating in SubSim!"

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-20, 04:38 PM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

BlaxChrom

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 05:00 PM   #5
BlaxChrom
Nub

Downloads: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
What are your computer specs BlaxChrom? Which version of the game do you have (v1.3?? v1.5??) and where did you purchase it (ie: Steam, Amazon, etc)?? What is the "path" of your install, such as "C:\Program Files (x86) \ Ubisoft \Silent Hunter..."?? Did you activate any mods on it?

Also, "Welcome to participating in SubSim!"

I'm sorry I didn't answer, I had email notifications on but didnt receive any until i checked today :/

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
RTX 5700
32GB of RAM
64-bit Windows 10

Steam purchase and steam install path C:\Program files(x86)\Steam....

Version 1.5 i believe as I bought both base game and wolves of the pacific which i hear includes the latest patch

No mods with the current problem, but i tried installing RSRDC as I was convinced the game's infinite spawning would be fixed. Installed it, my pc blue screened and nearly bricked so im not trying that again
BlaxChrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 11:40 PM   #6
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaxChrom View Post
I'm sorry I didn't answer, I had email notifications on but didnt receive any until i checked today :/

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
RTX 5700
32GB of RAM
64-bit Windows 10

Steam purchase and steam install path C:\Program files(x86)\Steam....

Version 1.5 i believe as I bought both base game and wolves of the pacific which i hear includes the latest patch

No mods with the current problem, but i tried installing RSRDC as I was convinced the game's infinite spawning would be fixed. Installed it, my pc blue screened and nearly bricked so im not trying that again
OK, the "highlighted" text in "Orange" above is the primary reason for RSRDC to fail. But maybe also the "Yellow" text above might contribute. I do not know how Steam does their SH4 games, since I have SH3 and SH5. My SH4 games are two disk versions and a UPlay version, but you definitely was to make certain that you are starting the v1.5, which has the Uboat Mission Addons included, and will start with an orange sunset / sunrise silhouetting a Type IXD2 submarine as its "splash" screen while loading.

As for the installing it in a Program Files folder, Windows is attempting to prevent you from harming yourself and altering files without proper authorization... I am typing facetiously, but Windows really does rollboack edits that have been made to the computer in certain "protected" folders, and the Program Files folders are on par with the Windows folders, considered as "system" folders. If you want to do any form of modding on the the game, you will have to move the game, possibly even the Steam install itself. If you have a 2nd viable hard drive available, such as a high speed (7200 rpm) drive with good throughput across a USB2 interface, you could create a 2nd Steam Library folder on that drive, and install SH4 to that. For more info, see the Steam Knowledge Base Article "Moving a Steam Installation and Games". Sometimes it is easier to uninstall it all, and then re-install, but using a folder of your own naming instead of the Program Files folder. Also, probably not an issue, but with everything running in the background of a 'modern' computer, you never know... but you could read through CapnScurvy's excellent posting "Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install" and see if maybe LAA might not help a bit also.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-20, 12:29 AM   #7
wade88
Swabbie

Downloads: 31

I had this problem last week after downloading from steam, I got the uboat missions dlc and then launch the game from that directory or in steam (my steam disks aren't in /Program Files/ rather is J:, K:, and L: and then Steam/common/etc. this way i never ran into the .exe patching prevention when installing LAA. LAA solved all my CTD.
Old 03-09-20, 01:23 PM   #8
Calvin809
Swabbie

Downloads: 109

I've installed mods for SH3 to 5 with the game in the default steam folder and haven't had any issues yet. Maybe it has something to do with your computer going to the blue screen?
Calvin809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-20, 01:53 AM   #9
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin809 View Post
I've installed mods for SH3 to 5 with the game in the default steam folder and haven't had any issues yet. Maybe it has something to do with your computer going to the blue screen?
As in C:\Program Files (x86) on a copy of Windows 7 (possibly Vista) or later?

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-20, 05:51 AM   #10
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community >BlaxChrom
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below

THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help needed