SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-17-13, 06:28 AM   #1
raygamhu
Watch

Downloads: 50
Uploads: 0
Default Resolution question

I was playing a lot SH4 in the last year, starting from v.1.4, now with TMO 2.5, and RSRDC mods installed, and the forum discussions help me a lot in improving my manual targeting skills. I intend to play at full realism a new campaign, and I have one question, should the resolution in the game be set up at the same level as my TV 1920x1080, or should be different?
It seems that the visibility in the periscopes/TBT, during night it's not so good, even in case of clear sky and no fog.
Or should I install OTC 1.5 mod to have better visibility?
This is my first post, so thanks for your help in advance.
raygamhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-13, 09:17 AM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I'm sorry I'm not in a position to help with your questions. I just wanted to be the first to welcom you to Subsim.
Old 05-17-13, 02:48 PM   #3
Redmane
Torpedoman

Downloads: 20
Default A possible answer

It seems to me, when choosing a screen resolution for the game, whichever one you choose should not distort the image on your screen. My monitor doesn't do a good job with 1920x1080, aspect ratio 16:9, for SH4. The dials and ships always look a bit "squashed", meaning the ships look shorter than they actually are, and the dials all look a bit like eggs, rather than properly circular. I found that at an 8:5 aspect ratio, resolution 1680x1050, my monitor displays everything properly, so that's what I use. OTC is a fine piece of work, and I have used it over TMO. CapnScurvy has done an amazing amount of work to fix problems with accuracy in the game caused by the rather careless work of the devs. I however found that for my own tastes, playing TMO/OTC changed TMO in ways that I missed, so I'm currently back to just TMO, though I do wish I could incorporate the aspect ratio fixes that CapnScurvy made into TMO itself.

As far as TMO/OTC, I think you will find the scopes/TBT to be much easier to use in low light conditions, as the darkness of the attack scope is not there like it is in plain TMO. A bit of a long way to your answer, but I believe it should be "yes."

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bullet-proof. -V
Redmane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-13, 08:22 PM   #4
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygamhu View Post
I was playing a lot SH4 in the last year, starting from v.1.4, now with TMO 2.5, and RSRDC mods installed,
You are using v1.5 with TMO, right? TMO 2.5 requires SH4 v1.5.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-13, 08:47 PM   #5
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

Redmane answered much better than I am able, so I'll just welcome you to Subsim.

Welcome aboard!

Now quit fooling around and get that radar screen fixed.
Old 05-18-13, 04:36 AM   #6
raygamhu
Watch

As far as TMO/OTC, I think you will find the scopes/TBT to be much easier to use in low light conditions, as the darkness of the attack scope is not there like it is in plain TMO. A bit of a long way to your answer, but I believe it should be "yes."[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your help.
I tried to download OTC mod from Downloads, but it seems that the WINRAR file has some problems, I can not extract the files, some file has some issues.
Old 05-18-13, 04:40 AM   #7
raygamhu
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
Welcome aboard!

You are using v1.5 with TMO, right? TMO 2.5 requires SH4 v1.5.
Yes, the following mods installed:

TMO 2.5;
RSRDC_TMO_V502;
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1;
Old 05-18-13, 10:09 AM   #8
Father Goose
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmane View Post
My monitor doesn't do a good job with 1920x1080, aspect ratio 16:9, for SH4. The dials and ships always look a bit "squashed", meaning the ships look shorter than they actually are, and the dials all look a bit like eggs, rather than properly circular.
That's the resolution I use (1920x1080) and have noted a very slight "squashed" look as you noted. Have you any data which supports that look effects your range calculations during manual targeting or anything else for that matter?

Personally, I have not compared my periscope observation with my sonar/navigation map yardage to see how much if any the periscope obs are off. I may check that out this weekend. Thanks.
Father Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-13, 04:31 PM   #9
Redmane
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Goose View Post
That's the resolution I use (1920x1080) and have noted a very slight "squashed" look as you noted. Have you any data which supports that look effects your range calculations during manual targeting or anything else for that matter?

Personally, I have not compared my periscope observation with my sonar/navigation map yardage to see how much if any the periscope obs are off. I may check that out this weekend. Thanks.
Well, I don't think the "squashing" of the image on your display will cause any problems with accuracy regarding range or anything like that. So far as I'm aware, its simply an aesthetic preference whether or not you choose to keep the setting as is or use one that won't produce a distortion of the image. One of the things that caused me to look for an aspect ratio my monitor would properly display was the fact that I always use the tool helpers on my nav map for plotting, and the compass that shows up for your ruler tool could be difficult to read and accurately use due to the distortion. Other than that, I cant think of why a stadimeter range or even a telemeter estimate of range would be off, since the distortion is uniform and applies only to the display of the image, not to the actual dimensions of things observed.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bullet-proof. -V
Old 05-18-13, 04:37 PM   #10
Redmane
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygamhu View Post
Thank you for your help.
I tried to download OTC mod from Downloads, but it seems that the WINRAR file has some problems, I can not extract the files, some file has some issues.
I have had some problems getting winrar to cooperate at times, and finally figured out that if I used the wizard rather than the "extract to" option it worked just fine. Try the wizard and see if it works. It will likely unzip to a folder on your desktop, but you will easily be able to find it, at any rate. Also, try running a test on the rar file if you haven't done so already. If you have tested it and found a problem, you may have a corrupted download. You may try to download the file again, but disable any antivirus software you may have running in the background first. I've seen posts by some people stating that doing so allowed for a clean download on the second try.

Tags
resolution