SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-01-22, 08:09 AM   #1
Niume
Sea Lord

Downloads: 499
Uploads: 2

I also believe that sensors need a rework from ground up. Sadly I don't have time for it.

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

[ENG] SH 4 KSD II Ace Edition
Niume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-22, 08:20 AM   #2
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niume View Post
I also believe that sensors need a rework from ground up. Sadly I don't have time for it.

Well, its something I will have to look at anyways, to make the night attacks possible.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-22, 11:53 AM   #3
PurpleCow
A-ganger

Downloads: 16
Uploads: 0

Can someone confirm that the original Silent Hunter IV is NOT required to play this mod? If this is the case how is this possible? Has the Silent Hunter IV codebase gone "public domain"? I ask because I had always held off on Silent Hunter IV as I thought the copy protections scheme was a huge mess.

Last edited by PurpleCow; 06-01-22 at 01:03 PM.
PurpleCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-22, 03:06 PM   #4
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleCow View Post
Can someone confirm that the original Silent Hunter IV is NOT required to play this mod? If this is the case how is this possible? Has the Silent Hunter IV codebase gone "public domain"? I ask because I had always held off on Silent Hunter IV as I thought the copy protections scheme was a huge mess.
I have access to both v1.4 & v1.5 of SH4, through Steam... so I assume this is where your query comes from, yes...?

As is, I used v1.4 once... until I wanted to roll with FotRS some time back. I dumped v1.4 & found that yes... it can be bought separately from Steam & ran, WITHOUT having to buy v1.4 SH4... as both are listed as separate purchase points.

Every modded version of SH4 I have is... Silent Hunter IV: Wolves of the Pacific: Uboat Missions v1.5

Note:

With KSD II: Ace, this comes with everything preset up, (aside from some additional add in's... you can add in that are not included in the preset up, BUT... be warned, that some of those NOT added in, can... cause issues... you have been warned.)

This is, predicated on the basis, that you already have access to SH4, paid for.

M. M.

As for the 'code base', having gone public domain... nope...

That is still in Ubi's grip, as is 3 & 5... though, I strongly suspect, that 3... will join its brethren 1 & 2, soon... & given a couple of more years afterwards, that 4 will join them... though, this is just My own thoughts on that... so take it with a convoy of 35 C2 Cargo ships... loaded down with sea salt... for what it's worth.
Old 06-01-22, 09:26 PM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 441
Uploads: 2

SH2 for certain is not "public domain"

Ubisoft US Store SH2 for sale

Near as I know, Silent Hunter (the original) is NOT public domain either, though it is not for sale on the Ubisoft site. However, you can buy a used copy on Amazon for $50US, and the one page is still linked to the Ubisoft Amazon store - for what that's worth...

Noting the "the copy protections scheme was a huge mess" comment, I have owned the game since pre-release, a v1.0.x (whatever) DVD. I also purchased a v1.3 disk, and a v1.5 U-Boat Missions Add-On, as well as several copies of the "Gold Edition" in various formats. I never had an issue with DRM with any of them at all. You did have to keep the disk inserted in the drive for the early versions, but that went away with v1.3 in 2007. I also had SH3 with "StarFarce" (StarForce) DRM. Now, that was a weird one, but SH4 has never had issues like that. The biggest thing with SH4, and it is the same with any other DirectX v9.0c Windows XP and earlier games, is that Windows Vista and later added "protection" to the OS. If you install the game outside of the Program Files and other "protected" folders, no problemo. Never accept the default install path - but you must also install DirectX v9.0c and its codecs for those old game to function on the 'modern' computer.. The game has been "on sale" recently for as little as $3 US through Steam and Ubisoft both. It shouldn't be long and one or the other (or all of them) will price it there again...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-22, 11:18 AM   #6
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Huh...

coulda swore, I saw something on SH (original or otherwise known of as SH1 ) being considered... 'abandonware'... as well as SH2.

Did see SH1, being hot listed on an abandonware site, though... when I went to do a search on info about it.

On that note... unless any one else has info showing that 1 & 2, are indeed abandoned... guess I'll have to... stand corrected.

On copyright, am in agreement with purplecow, that it is a huge, convoluted mess... outright... & needs being , revamped... majorly.

M. M.
Old 06-02-22, 01:37 PM   #7
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 817

Default sh3&4&5

Good evening friends
Mr Beanie how are you...? are you on the road to recovery? or maybe you just take it..one way or another good luck...and wish you the best possible recovery...
Now to get back to what you were talking about selling or pseudo selling...
at this rate.. States want to have their cake and eat it.
we french say it like this
they want the butter.. the money for the butter and then we pay the boss..

Last edited by Kal_Maximus_U669; 06-02-22 at 01:49 PM.
Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ksd ii, u-boat