SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-23-13, 08:50 AM   #136
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Huh Gap, my head is full of code from those UPC files... I like your ideas about advanced damage for the individual systems, but i would like to save them for the end...

Wright now those UPC are very foggy for me...Still dont quite understand how game transfers and displays damage from .zon files to ingame damage menu, ,external 3d link, name, node, bone.... Is it possible to add new new slots to damage menu and connect them with proper equipment , like uzo and antenas? And what is that NULL thing?. We have HP values in the upc files and in zone.cfg files , which are relevant from those two? Sometimes, when i add new damage box, damage is property calculated in damage menu (like for hydrophones sensors, deck gun) but most of the time it is not...Like periscopes,flak,...Items gets destroyed and i still have 80% of damage in the menu.
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-13, 01:13 PM   #137
Mikemike47
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1078
Uploads: 6

You'll get these other things fixed, I'm sure. Great to see the damage zones in version 4 and younger. Working beautifully in my eyes for what I have seen. Now the game is even more nerve wracking like it should be, as in real life during the war.

@gap,
A wealth of knowledge to draw from. Thanks for your input here. Now privateer is sharing ideas with you to make SH5 better. I love SH3 and SH4, too, all have strengths and weaknesses plus the subsim community support. Only in SH5 do you have the ability to walk through the sub.
Maybe someday UBISOFT will make a 1.3 version with the IX sub. Heard nothing positive along that route, similar to uboat missions expansion pack for SH4.
Otherwise, the community will probably make a false positive version of the IX sub with all the modders out there. Equipment and weapons may be fixed in a way, but walking through sub may be a problem. I do realize you mentioned the road blocks out there, why it can not be done. You never know!
Mikemike47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-13, 05:43 PM   #138
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Thank you for your encouragement Mike.

@ vdr1981

Answering all your questions in one post would get too long, and I would also risk to confuse you. Stick in mind that I myself have not figure out how many of the upc settings work, and some of my suggestions were based on suppositions which might be disconfirmed. I will nonetheless try and answer your questions one by one. Let's start with the node/bone definition.

They are essentially the same thing. They are called "bones" referred to GR2 files, whereas when talking about dat and binary files we call them "nodes". You can think of them both as folders (containing objects, particles or controllers), and as "hardpoints", used for placing the objects contained in them in the 3d space, relative to other objects in the same file. Generally each node contains one object, particle or controller, but in some cases they can be empty, in which case they are often used for linking an external object, particle or controller to them.

As folders, they can have a hierarchical structure, i.e they can be placed one inside the other. When we are saying, by the way, that the object A has the object B as parent, we actually mean that the object A is placed in a node that is a subfolder of the node where the object B is placed. As linking points in the 3d space, they can have position and rotation data on the thre cartesian axes.

Their main properties include:

- a name (GR2 files) or label (dat and binary files): those are the names shown in Goblin's scene tree view. Objects and particles get their name from the node where they are placed. Other than for verbal reference, in some cases names are also used for linking a bone (with its object) to a second bone in another file. This is the case of unit's eqp files, where various equipments are referred by their name (i.e. the name of their root node).

- an Id: it is a 16-digits hexadecimal number, identifying univocally each node and its content. The Id number of GR2 bones is assigned automatically, but in dat and binary files nodes can be assigned by the user.

- a parent Id: this is a reference to the Id of the node which is immediately higher in the node hierarchy. Id's and parent Id's are by far the most common method used for liking nodes together and for organizing them hierarchically, as seen in Goblin's scene tree view. Saying that the node A is child of the node B, means that the parent Id of node A is equal to the Id of node B. This hierarchy is also valid for nodes set in different files; e.g. controllers are applied to the correct objects (though being located in different files) because the parent Id of the nodes containing them point to the Id of the nodes/bones containing their relative objects.

- visibility flag: if a node containing an object is set to invisible, the contained object won't be visible neither in Goblin, nor in game. This is useful for collision and reflect models.

- rotation and position data: game models are buildt in a virtual 3d space, and they are composed of many vertices which have x, y and z coordinates. By default, objects imported in dat or GR2 files are centered around their origin, i.e. the 0, 0, 0 point of their geometry. Nonetheless, most SH5 models are composed of many individual parts assembled together. In order to position each part correctly, we have two ways: we can either change object's geometry (using a 3d modeller), or we can move/rotate its node/bone. In general both approaches are valid, but in some cases setting bone's position/rotation data is the most convenient method.

That's all for now. Other answers to follow
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 10:22 AM   #139
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Sry for the late replay Gap , i'm reading your posts for tenth time since last night... Note that English is not my native language... We need "thanks" button on this forum, that's for sure...
Old 09-24-13, 10:44 AM   #140
Sjizzle
Count Dracula

Downloads: 405
Uploads: 0

heya ill have a question maybe it's a stupid one who knows

when the periscope it's damaged can not be used ? or can use it ...cos i got some nice periscope dmg and i can still use it
Sjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 10:49 AM   #141
SnipersHunter
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 201

Maybe its the same than the UZO
SnipersHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 10:55 AM   #142
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Hey Sjizzle, just don't look to much in damage menu, damage for periscopes (and some other equipment) is not property calculated at all. As periscopes loosing HP , speed of elevation will gradually slow down, from minor drop to large drop, and finally you will lose ability to rise the scopes and their model will be removed from the game. Yet , you'll still have options to look trough them but without elevation capability, not much use of it...

UZO is a bit different...Probably because of the camera controllers. For now, just try not to select it after it has been destroyed...
Old 09-24-13, 11:03 AM   #143
Sjizzle
Count Dracula

Downloads: 405

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Hey Sjizzle, just don't look to much in damage menu, damage for periscopes (and some other equipment) is not property calculated at all. As periscopes loosing HP , speed of elevation will gradually slow down, from minor drop to large drop, and finally you will lose ability to rise the scopes and their model will be removed from the game. Yet , you'll still have options to look trough them but without elevation capability, not much use of it...

UZO is a bit different...Probably because of the camera controllers. For now, just try not to select it after it has been destroyed...
i will do some test now and i will report back thx for the reply
Sjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 11:08 AM   #144
vdr1981
Navy Seal

For testing purposes it's good to use some mission with attacking airplane. Because of the small caliber weapons you wont have much damage to sub's hull,yet outside equipment will be very exposed...
Old 09-24-13, 11:50 AM   #145
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
We have HP values in the upc files and in zone.cfg files , which are relevant from those two? Sometimes, when i add new damage box, damage is property calculated in damage menu (like for hydrophones sensors, deck gun) but most of the time it is not...Like periscopes,flak,...Items gets destroyed and i still have 80% of damage in the menu.
Quote:
...just don't look to much in damage menu, damage for periscopes (and some other equipment) is not property calculated at all.
Have you tried using the same HP setting in .upc and zones.cfg files?
Old 09-24-13, 11:56 AM   #146
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Have you tried using the same HP setting in upc and zones.cfg files?
Yes...Still nothing...damage in the damage menu is taken from somewhere else, probably comm room it self. I know this because when i set equipment exposure in UPC file, i get 0% pretty fast , but equipment is still usable...It's the same for TDC, periscope heads, flak, ...All those items taking damage(in damage menu) from somewhere else...
Old 09-24-13, 12:08 PM   #147
Mikemike47
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1078
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjizzle View Post
heya ill have a question maybe it's a stupid one who knows

when the periscope it's damaged can not be used ? or can use it ...cos i got some nice periscope dmg and i can still use it
I am using version 4. I've had different % damages to observation and attack persicopes and the periscope heads. All took damages stating 95% or lower showing on damage control panel to cause operation failures. I do not remember exact numbers anymore.

Above a certain percentage, I could reuse the periscope by lower or raising the individual scope. Best memory guess 93-95% for all 3 parts. I do not recall what minimum percentage exactly to scope or the heads for a scope to work again.

I loved the realism that is fixed now.
Mikemike47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 12:47 PM   #148
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
when i set equipment exposure in UPC file, i get 0% pretty fast , but equipment is still usable
I don't get you here. Can you explain? What do you mean by "equipment exposure"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemike47 View Post
I loved the realism that is fixed now.
Old 09-24-13, 03:04 PM   #149
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
I don't get you here. Can you explain? What do you mean by "equipment exposure"?

Code:
CrewExposure=2.5
EquipmentsExposure=1.0
WeaponsExposure=0.1
Where damage to the applicable type is as a percentage of 100. For example, you'll notice that the crew in my compartment will take 250% damage. This means that 1 HP of zone damage causes 2.5 HP of crew damage. Since the damage is applied to every member of the compartment, regardless if on watch or not, this is a method to ensure that small caliber guns hurt the crew. It works the same for the equipment and/or weapons in the compartment as long as they do not have their own unique damage zone identifier. Those equipment and weapon items that do have their own unique identifier will NOT receive damage when the compartment is damaged.

This is from the awesome thread you gave me... main Submarine UPC file. So, when i set eq.exposure to 0.9, for example, all associated equipment (periscopes, TDC) is shown as 0 % pretty fast but this is not related to real state of equipment. On the other hand , pumps (talking about ubtcomroom) are shown correct because they have their's own damage box . Now, periscopes also have their personal damage zones in sensors.zon, but they are not connected with readings in game damage menu and i still don't know how to do that... To be honest i dont care so much for damage menu, i don;t like whole concept about damage shown as percentage. For me , the most important thing is that damage is present, and i do not need damage menu to tell me what is wrong...

Last edited by vdr1981; 09-24-13 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-24-13, 03:18 PM   #150
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
It works the same for the equipment and/or weapons in the compartment as long as they do not have their own unique damage zone identifier. Those equipment and weapon items that do have their own unique identifier will NOT receive damage when the compartment is damaged.