SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-30-17, 03:03 PM   #1
komi
Sailor man

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Just a few newbie questions

I was having a look at the Steam page for this game and was considering buying it, but wondered whether folks who've already played could answer a few questions for me first?

1- How much variety is there in playable subs? Is it strictly nuclear or are there diesel-electric also available to use?

2- What sort of nations are playable? Is it just US and Soviets or do you have the option to dive in (pardon the pun) as other factions (UK, Japan, Australia, either of the Koreas, etc)?

3- Would you consider this game fairly newbie friendly or does it throw you in the deep end (sorry) and expect you to have previous experience with sub simulators?
komi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-17, 07:33 PM   #2
Tinman764
Chief

Downloads: 177

Playable in the base game is limited to US subs from the 60s to the 80s. There's a DLC coming which is adding more playable subs and nations I believe.

The game is very easy to mod and there are some great mods out there that let you play pretty much anything you can think of from the modern sub catalog. I'm really enjoying playing a Swiftsure class HMS Sceptre that my Dad served on many years ago.

For difficulty - the game does look a bit intimidating but once you get a couple missions under your belt you'll be talking tactics like a pro
Tinman764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-17, 08:30 PM   #3
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48

I would say that an understanding of basic, at least, submarine operations is needed. Things like what "sonar" is, a temperature layer, warship offensive/defensive systems, etc.

BUT, there are many, many good people that will answer particulars or just how they did, or would, in the same situation.

Really, a great thing about it is that the base program is easily modifiable, and any "bugs" seem to be quickly addressed. There is a lot of backing behind it.

Glad I got it.
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-17, 09:09 PM   #4
Tinman764
Chief

Downloads: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgard View Post
I would say that an understanding of basic, at least, submarine operations is needed. Things like what "sonar" is, a temperature layer, warship offensive/defensive systems, etc.
True enough, all my knowledge for sub warfare comes from reading Red Storm Rising
Tinman764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-17, 09:14 PM   #5
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48

Yep, that would be a good start. Hunt for Red October, too.
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-17, 05:11 AM   #6
komi
Sailor man

Thanks for the answers guys! I think I'll give it a shot if it comes on sale.
Old 12-31-17, 05:52 AM   #7
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

I just want to add that the devs have made an excellent player's manual for the game explaining very well how to prepare and fire torpedos, what basic tactics you should employ, all about the interfaces in the game etc.
The learning curve is not so high compared to - let's say - the SH series.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-17, 08:18 AM   #8
komi
Sailor man

That's good to know.
Old 12-31-17, 11:15 AM   #9
John Channing
Sea Lord

Downloads: 156
Uploads: 5

The in game training missions are excellent tutorials. Combine them with Jive Turkey's excellent training missions on Youtube and you will be in great shape very quickly.

Just don't rush into the missions or campaign without learning the systems and keys first. When a lot of stuff is going on all at once it is easy to get overwhelmed . You need to be at the point where some of you actions are automatic.

Good luck. The game is a blast.
John Channing is offline   Reply With Quote