SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-29-17, 12:10 PM   #976
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post

What the future holds? Chipping humans, even babies already.

No, I do not mean that as a joke. I am bloody serious.
It seems I am not a screaming mad man these days. I said this over 15 years ago our personal private information is the new currency. And kids today are told Tech is good and that is mildly putting it.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-17, 02:22 PM   #977
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Windows10 ate my hamster!
Old 05-30-17, 05:18 PM   #978
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
Windows10 ate my hamster!
Nah..

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-17, 01:01 PM   #979
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Windows 10 does temporarily disable third-party antivirus, admits Microsoft

Here we go again. The situation is so bad that the sleeping Europeans who alone gave Microsoft nightmares in the early 2000s when Microsoft was trying to keep alternative browsers from easy use in Windows, at pursuing anti-trust action against Microsloth, who surely deserves the drubbing.

Of course Microsoft does its usual tap dance about how this is just an effort to "protect" its users and how everything they're doing is completely reasonable. And I have some high, dry land in the Everglades I'll sell you for a song too!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-17, 04:04 PM   #980
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Hey, why in the world would you buy one of those piece of trash Microsoft Surface Laptops? Oh, yeah, because Microsoft says that with its new Windows 10 S operating system,

'no known ransomware' runs on Windows 10 S"
so ZDnet tried to hack it
. Three hours later
Quote:
"We considered leaving the laptop playing 'AC/DC Thunderstruck' on loop for you, but we didn't want to upset your neighbors or any pets!" he joked.
"We could even take something like Locky, a DLL-based ransomware, and run it so that it would encrypt all the files in your documents and request a key by setting the wallpaper," he said.
Though he was given permission, Hickey stopped short of installing the ransomware, citing the possible risk to other devices on the network. "We've proved the point enough," he said. "We can do whatever we wanted," he said.
Yes, the computer was wide open to malware. As usual Microsoft's version of security is to cripple the user's ability to use the machine as he wishes while rolling out the red carpet to malware.

This malarkey has been going on since the grandiose "protected system directories" of Windows 7 where we couldn't play Silent Hunter 4 but malware staged block parties. Microsoft has refused to buy a vowel and can't come up with any security scheme better than "if we cripple it so bad it won't work it's bound to be pretty secure." Buy Microsoft and you're buying trouble.
Old 06-29-17, 02:29 PM   #981
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Microsoft lays an egg
Nearly One in Four Windows Users Surveyed Plan to Switch to Mac Within Next Six Months

So if you read the press, you'd think that Windows 10 is the greatest thing since 2-ply toilet paper. But the press has completely abandoned its rightful role as reporting the facts and took up advocacy, not just in politics, but in commercial spheres as well. Journalism is dead, replaced by dishonest marketing.

I predicted the end of Microsoft. This is powerful evidence that I may have understated my positions. 25%. Six months. It's like rats deserting a sinking ship. It's Barnacles Nerdgasm's Revenge.
Old 06-29-17, 02:41 PM   #982
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Contrast between Windows and Linux. Last week, with a brand new Windows 7 installation, the monthly update rollup became available. I downloaded it and at the end it said the update was ready, reboot? Sure.

It rebooted and locked up. Ran my system recovery disk. It repaired three separate times (who knows what it does? It sure won't tell you). Then I ran System Restore to get back to where I was. System Restore had an error and wouldn't fix it. End result: screwed.

The same day I upgraded online from Ubuntu 16.10 to 17.04. At the end of the upgrade I had no network. Rebooted and found the same. Fired up Systemback. Less than ten minutes later I was up and running again as if nothing had ever happened.

There is just no comparison between the utilities, repair abilities and resiliency of the two systems. Linux wins by several miles. Microsoft has crippled, and then crippled some more the tools users can run to repair a corrupted system to the point where you can have no idea what is wrong or what Microsoft is doing to fix the problem. What tools exist, and they're laughable, are only available if the system can boot up (if it could I wouldn't NEED it, fools!) or from a system repair disk that most users don't even know they have to burn or lose their system forever.

Only complete reinstallation fixes Windows most of the time. That's not acceptable.
Old 07-07-17, 03:22 PM   #983
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

When you see a graph like this, what does it mean?

See where in 2006 56 Windows devices were sold compared to one Apple device? See the extreme downward slope since? That's Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 destroying Microsoft's lofty position. That's corporate stupidity thinking insulting its customers would somehow result in world domination.

Now less than 3 Windows devices are sold by all vendors for every Apple device sold. And the slope remains steeply downward. Somebody at Microsoft has decided that this is a good day to die. They've made decision after decision for years to shrink their market. It looks suicidal for such a one-great company.
Old 07-16-17, 03:41 PM   #984
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Windows 10 is failing us

Quote:
While Windows 10 is arguably successful from a market share perspective, it is still failing in one big way -- the user experience. Windows 8.x was an absolute disaster, and Microsoft's latest is certainly better than that, but it is still not an enjoyable experience. Quite frankly, the people clutching to Windows 7 aren't so crazy.
Old 07-17-17, 08:31 AM   #985
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

You just don't try hard enough to love it. The love you do not throw at it, is the love it never returns.
Old 07-17-17, 11:53 AM   #986
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Still works for me as well as 7 did. I've been using their new mail app too but I suppose you'll tell me how bad that works for me too.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-17, 11:57 AM   #987
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
Still works for me as well as 7 did. I've been using their new mail app too but I suppose you'll tell me how bad that works for me too.
If the e-mail app is one of them "modern apps" translation: turns a computer into a cell phone, Thunderbird beats it in every respect plus a lot more respects than cell phone app doesn't have.
Old 07-17-17, 11:58 AM   #988
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

^He's no need to tell you that Buddahaid as Microsnot already knows.
Old 07-17-17, 12:51 PM   #989
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

And if Windows 10 is so great why are one in four intending to switch to Apple in the next six months? How do you explain the graph above showing Microsoft falling off a cliff through Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 without a single hitch, just a straight downward trend?

Microsoft has made a corporate decision to die. Its refusal to alter the downward plunge for six years proves their demise is no accident.
Old 07-17-17, 12:59 PM   #990
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

I'm only relating my experience. I can't speak for the whiner generation.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows