SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-01-14, 07:24 PM   #1
UKönig
Captain

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Bugstomper

I have a few questions for the experienced (vanilla) Silent Hunter 3 captains...

Things I've noticed, probably bugs, definitely catches my eye and was wondering if anyone else had gone through it as well, and if so, what can be done to "fix" it.
Things as:
The lights aboard my Type 9 (any variant) flash all the time. On, off, on, off, on, off, on....all through the patrol. The type 2, 7, even 21, the lights stay on with no problems. They change from red night light to white day light on cue, but when I use the type 9, they never stay lit, they always flash.
Ships sometimes get stuck in the docks/piers. I assume what happens is that the game spawns the ships first, and as I get closer to land/the harbour, then it spawns the terrain or dockyard. And woe to be for any ship that may be in the way, for like a star trek transporter malfunction, the ship is cut in half by the wharf.
This one I can live without but I've noticed from time to time, if I fire a torpedo at a ship, jump outside with ext. view, race across the ocean to the target side, and wait to watch for the "impact", my torpedos always disappear. It's like the game forgot they were there, and if I jump back aboard to check the time remaining to target, the countdown is always stopped, as if it never started, and one fish is still gone from the inventory. I don't do that anymore.
Of course we know the obersteuermann who gets his weather reports wrong, tells me its no rain and light fog when I can't see a thing and it's raining so hard Ramses of the deep has a boner.
Those are some of my peeves, I think the one I need the most help with is figuring out who is playing with the dammed lights...

Last edited by UKönig; 05-01-14 at 07:59 PM. Reason: bad grammar
UKönig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-14, 09:03 PM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

It was noticed nine years ago that the stock game has a lot of problems. This is why we have mods, and why they became supermods - to get rid of those very bugs.
Old 05-01-14, 09:28 PM   #3
UKönig
Captain

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

I guess that's why I'm here now. If the original game was more or less perfect, I doubt there would be such a forum as this.
Maybe they rushed the production, I think I read the backstory of development and there were some "internal problems" with the companies involved, but my memory is not so good anymore.
Some of my complaints aren't really complaints, as I've learned to deal with or avoid them, but I will admit I am deeply shamed for how long it took for me to notice that the type VII periscope masts don't line up.
Maybe the time has come for me to find that update, and get with the 21st century. I really need a better system first though, this one is only barely capable, I guess that's why I've been putting it off for so long.
UKönig is offline   Reply With Quote