SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-16-11, 01:52 PM   #1
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Uploads: 0
Default Need help activating OM

I tried to activate OM and all I get is the unmodded SH4 opening screen and game.

I did the following:

1. Created a file called OM.
2. Copied all SH4 files into the OM file, except the Mod file.
3. Copied multi SH4 into the OM file and activated an OM save file.
4. Copied JGSME and opened it, creating a MOD folder
5. Downloaded OM V705, OM v705 to v720, and OMv720 patch 5; placed them in the MOD folder; and activated them.

What did I do incorrectly? Am I supposed to get a new opening screen for OM, like TMO? It looks like I have loaded the stock game and OM has not loaded or activated.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-11, 02:11 PM   #2
MaddogK
XO

Downloads: 15

Did you try switching sides and starting a campaign ? I don't recall OM having a different start screen than the stock game.

I also don't have 2 simultaneous SHIV installs as I found it easier to clone the original SHIV install (without mods installed- I keep a copy on a backup hard drive), rename the original modded game, then rename the clone to the original name. I also renamed the save game dir, and NOT create a new one (I let the new install create it) and also rename the orig mod folder and create an new empty mod folder for the OM files and let JGSME recreate the backup folders.

To revert to the original game (with RSRDC installed) all I have to do is go back and rename the directories, this ensures the windows registry doesn't get fekked.

My mod install order is:
OpsMonsun_V705
OMv705_to_720
OMv720_patch5
OM_plot_V415
Uflak_turm_fix
Smaller_seabed_rocks

MaddogK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-11, 02:32 PM   #3
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

I think my install is correct, as I used this method to install SH4) using TMO and second install using Trenchboats.

My option is Penang in 1943. Is that correct for OM?
And, isn't there an Atlantic Theater of Operations?

I am totally unfamiliar with this mod! What missions are involved?
Old 01-16-11, 02:45 PM   #4
MaddogK
XO

Umm, I don't remember 'penang 1943'.

Ensure the mods are installed in mod enabler, then start the game
select German campaign, you should get a list of starting dates, choose one.

...perhaps I'm mising the obvious: OM only works on SHIV with U-boat missions installed (V 1.15).

Old 01-16-11, 10:32 PM   #5
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default did not do the trick

Apparently, the OM mod is not working for me. I get two option. First, is 1943 and second is 1944. One is Into the East, and and the other I forgot the name of. I think these are stock missions, so the vanilla SH4 is loading, but not the mods I identified above. Any suggestions? I will try putting multi SH4 in the mod folder to see if that solves the problem, but I am doubtful.
Old 01-16-11, 11:01 PM   #6
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

The best way to guarantee success is to start from scratch. Using a completely fresh install of SH4 you need to copy the entire thing. I called my new folder 'SH4 U-Boats".

Copying all the files from one you've been using can screw things up. You may not have copied the MODS folder, but if you have mods installed then the files have been changed. Even if you uninstalled all mods before copying you may still have residual files left behind.

Yes, OM has its own Loading Screen and you have several options to choose from in 1939, plus a boatload of later start dates.
Old 01-17-11, 12:00 AM   #7
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default got it

I must have done something wrong activating the mods, or possibly copying JGSME, as it appears to be working fine now. I reinstalled the OM files.
Thanks for the tips. They are appreciated.

Now where do I go to get basic questions answered, as my point of reference is the American subs in the Pacific campaign? By the way, if I show up off of Uraguay in late 1939 might I catch the Graf Spay? Or do I have to activate RSRDC to find that famous encounter?
Old 01-17-11, 12:15 PM   #8
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I took a quick look through OM's Mission Editor, and I did find two Axis blockade runners in South America in '39, but they are cargo ships. That said, SH4's ME is a lot bigger and more complicated that SH3's, so I could easily have missed something. Just because I couldn't find Graf Spee doesn't mean she's not there.

I don't have RSRD set up right now, or I would have looked there too. I do believe, however, that RSRD is dedicated to Japanese movements in the Pacific.
Old 01-17-11, 12:34 PM   #9
MaddogK
XO

It's likely you won't find Graf Spee as I've noticed a few popular named ships missing from the campaign files, BUT you may find a generic or similar ship in it's place.

Also- you are playing the German side, you WILL NOT be shooting at German ships.

Old 01-17-11, 11:16 PM   #10
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default one last serues of questions

where do I look to manual taget in the UBoat missions? I do not understand the method, although I understand it in the context of US subs in the Pacific Campaign?

Do I read and study the post for SH3?
What does pistol mean?
How do I determine and input target speed, range and Aob?
Those are a few of the basic questions. Remember, I have never played SH3!
Old 01-18-11, 12:35 AM   #11
MaddogK
XO

I'm glad your game, playing the Germans is a bit more fun IMHO.

Pistole is the detonator type.
You now have 2 types (excluding sub-types) of torpedos- steam and electric, so be mindful of your loadout, and choose wisely. And remember in port torpedos MUST be loaded manually- so you can choose what goes where.

The TDC can be found on the scope side panels as well as on the tracking chart. The stadiometer is displayed when you press the little red light at the center/top of the scope display (took me a while to find it), and if you need to play with targeting help you can 'go manual' when the urge hits you by pressing the red button on the targeting chart. Keep in mind you wont have radar, nor active sonar so it will be a challenge, but rewarding. Also, all ships appear as neutral, so you'll need to ID them before sinking them.

Good luck