SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-09-08, 04:33 PM   #1
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default System slow down after gameplay ?

Have you guys noticed that your machine runs slower after you quit a game and then do ordinary stuff (browsing the web, opening other programs) ? It's back to normal after reboot of course. But is it possible to refresh the system back to it's strarting state on win xp without restart?
And why is it hapening ?
Is it because hdd cache needs to be cleared after gameplay ?
Old 12-09-08, 07:45 PM   #2
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171
Uploads: 0

I don't actually have that problem, what you could do is before running the game press Alt-Ctrl-Del to bring up the task manager then select the processors tab, now take a snapshot and save the image, now play the game and after repeat the process, now you can compare the 2 for the offending process that is taking all the memory.
I use an app called "Tweak XP Pro", it's a free version that came with a magazine, this has an excellent memory optimizer, I bring up the task manager before running this and you can see during optimizing the processors memory usage dropping to free up hundreds of megs, great app!!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-08, 09:08 AM   #3
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece
I don't actually have that problem, what you could do is before running the game press Alt-Ctrl-Del to bring up the task manager then select the processors tab, now take a snapshot and save the image, now play the game and after repeat the process, now you can compare the 2 for the offending process that is taking all the memory.
I use an app called "Tweak XP Pro", it's a free version that came with a magazine, this has an excellent memory optimizer, I bring up the task manager before running this and you can see during optimizing the processors memory usage dropping to free up hundreds of megs, great app!!
Task manager shows the same quantity of active running processes before/after gameplay. I'ts just that PF usage after the game increased.
Old 12-10-08, 06:33 PM   #4
Thomen
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contact
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece
Task manager shows the same quantity of active running processes before/after gameplay. I'ts just that PF usage after the game increased.
Just set the page file to a fixed size. That ought to do it.
Depending on who you ask, the size should be around 1.5 times up to 3 times your RAM.
Mine is set to 1x RAM size. 4GB should be enough in most cases.
Thomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-08, 07:06 PM   #5
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

@ Thomen Yes I have 2gb memory & my PF is fixed to the same size, I must admit I never gave it a thought, haven't touched the PF for years, taken for granted!!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote