SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-27-20, 04:12 AM   #31
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickers03 View Post
Does anyone have performance problems with this mod?

Without your mod, my GPU load (GTX 1660 6GB VRAM) is around 40%, with your mod it raises to 50-70, FPS is not a problem, I have a cap of 300 for this game, it averages 60+ while in the sub.

The real problem is I get a lot of tearing when moving the view with the mouse (which I don't get without your mod). I suspect the open hatches are the reason for this.
[EDIT]
Turning Vsynch ON will resolve this.

Reference:
Insertion_Training mission, Gato Class; MSIAfterburner stats.
In my grafic settings, I play with 1920x1080 @60Hz, I have all maxed-out, VSynch ON will avoid screen tearing when moving mouse.

XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 04-27-20 at 04:33 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-20, 07:04 AM   #32
vickers03
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 702
Uploads: 37

thanks for your report, sounds good
vickers03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-20, 10:57 AM   #33
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
Without your mod, my GPU load (GTX 1660 6GB VRAM) is around 40%, with your mod it raises to 50-70, FPS is not a problem, I have a cap of 300 for this game, it averages 60+ while in the sub.

The real problem is I get a lot of tearing when moving the view with the mouse (which I don't get without your mod). I suspect the open hatches are the reason for this.
[EDIT]
Turning Vsynch ON will resolve this.

Reference:
Insertion_Training mission, Gato Class; MSIAfterburner stats.
In my grafic settings, I play with 1920x1080 @60Hz, I have all maxed-out, VSynch ON will avoid screen tearing when moving mouse.

XS
I use via Nvidia Inspector 30 FPS fixed with 1/2 refresh at 60 Hz. All OK, no stuttering.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-20, 11:14 AM   #34
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
I use via Nvidia Inspector 30 FPS fixed with 1/2 refresh at 60 Hz. All OK, no stuttering.

Fitzcarraldo

Hello Fitzcarraldo, nice to hear from you
I will try to further reduce my FPS cap (in fact it raises like crazy when in the menus, nothing to do with this mod). I also like NV Inspector, it's much more flexible for the settings indeed.

Thanks and best greetings!
XS
Old 04-27-20, 03:46 PM   #35
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 810

Default Fleetboat Interior

for my part I confirm the saying "XenonSurf" all works for the moment when has mister "vickers03"
I congratulate you for this taff is encourage you for the rest of the full interior for all models with functionality would be really a plus but hey I am aware of the work that this represents we would need 20 Mr "vickers03"

Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-20, 04:08 PM   #36
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO Fleetboat Interior: Officers Quarters...

@vickers03

Got a question, for you..

As it relates to the Salmon class, would the addition of it into the mod & having been fixed... affect the Sargo class, as well that you know of.?

Reason asked, is.. I added the mod in with FotRS-U-EN v1.004.a mega, started a career off right after PH attack, am stationed out of Manilla in a Sargo class boat & when I free roam from the F2 control room area into the area you used to be able to, after left clicking on the door there, to get to the radio man/Capt.'s quarters, now shows up as in the picture you posted of what that area would look like now, with the mod added in.

Is confusing to say the least, since the Sargo class subs, are not listed along with the 3 that are shown in your initial post (post #1)

As I recall, the Salmon & Sargo, did share similarities, as well as some differences, to boot.. and if this is the case with the files in game for them, it is possible that there was a side effect of the Sargo's taking on the Salmon's mod changes... inadvertantly, just a guess here, only. Just wanted to bring this up, to let you be aware that I have experienced this with the mod.

ps

1 other thing of note.. with the sub I am in that I mentioned already, have noted with being in the lower control room area, before hand, was able to click at the hatch area, leading into the upper control room (area where the attack scope & the sonar *-maybe hydrophone station -* is.. ) but now... that is not possible, to go to that area now, have to free roam the cam to go to that station area & the F9 key, also doesn't work to go there, either.

Don't know if you can or not, still click on the hatch area to go up to the bridge station or not from the upper control room... will check that out & report back on that when I get the 1st opportunity to do so...

Other than these issues I've noted, great mod & appreciate the work put into it...

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 04-27-20 at 07:42 PM.
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-20, 06:25 PM   #37
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115

Nice work, vickers03!

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-20, 01:18 AM   #38
vickers03
Grey Wolf

Quote:
for my part I confirm the saying "XenonSurf" all works for the moment when has mister "vickers03"
I congratulate you for this taff is encourage you for the rest of the full interior for all models with functionality would be really a plus but hey I am aware of the work that this represents we would need 20 Mr "vickers03"
thanks and lol!

Quote:
Got a question, for you..

As it relates to the Salmon class, would the addition of it into the mod & having been fixed... affect the Sargo class, as well that you know of.?
yes, they share the same room, they will get their own design in the future.
Quote:
1 other thing of note.. with the sub I am in that I mentioned already, have noted with being in the lower control room area, before hand, was able to click at the hatch area, leading into the upper control room
i think there can be done something with different camera positions..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt. Lehmann View Post
Nice work, vickers03!
thanks..and many thanks for GWX by the way! still awesome.
Old 04-28-20, 02:24 AM   #39
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO Fleetboat Interior: Officers Quarters... follow up report...

Quote:
thanks and lol!

yes, they share the same room, they will get their own design in the future.

Ok, good to know, will keep a weather eye on the horizon for the updates...

i think there can be done something with different camera positions..

Will look forward to that, as well...

thanks..and many thanks for GWX by the way! still awesome.
Ok, with regards to 'if you can or not, still click on the hatch area to go up to the bridge station or not from the upper control room...'

I went back in & checked... and yes, after having to cam free roam from the lower control room to the upper control room, was able to click on the hatch area leading to the bridge section & was able to do so.

So that works...

Again, thanks for the work you do & the mod, much appreciated vickers03

Old 04-28-20, 05:35 AM   #40
vickers03
Grey Wolf

Porpoise added.
Old 04-28-20, 02:53 PM   #41
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Porpoise added.

Vicker, your working speed and ability is as crazy good as your pictures
Thanks very much!

Best greetings,
XS
Old 04-28-20, 03:24 PM   #42
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

To add to my above report about performance with these additional rooms and open hatches, I have consulted various good links about how and when to cap FPS, and wether to use VSynch=ON in the game settings, this also to run at best the FOtRSU mod package. Here my conclusions:

a)
Set Vsynch=ON in the game.

If you have a 60 Hz monitor you will get 60 FPS with a larger frame delay and latency, but the good is: With any reasonable GPU the FPS will not drop much for you to see a real difference, and you will get rid of screen tearing and input lags. Also good is that your GPU load will be reduced compared to illimited FPS and Vsynch OFF.

b)
Set Vynch=OFF in the game, but...

First run the game with a tool that tells you the FPS onscreen. If you see a very large number like 500+ FPS while in your sub and moving, then you can safely set a framecap of 2x your monitor refresh rate, say 120 if you have a 60 Hz monitor. With that, if you don't get tearing or imput lag, great Very good is: Even if the FPS drop during game, you will never see or notice this at such high FPS.
From there, measure your GPU load, if it's just below 50% with a good GPU you are just fine, if it's around 20-30% you can raise the cap, the more FPS the better until you get around 40%-60% load and your GPU temperature doesn't get too high.

If instead you get tearing after capping your FPS at 2x your monitor Hz, then you need to raise the cap until it goes away while still not exceeding 50-60% GPU load. With a lower card this may not be possible, so better go with a) and set Vsynch=ON, also if your GPU load is around 70-80+% which is not necessary for this older game.

I hope this little excursion in the FPS world helps!

XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 04-28-20 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-28-20, 03:28 PM   #43
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

For a quick look in-game, use <Ctrl><F8> to get a frame rate displayed near the top-center of the screen. It tries to do "real-time", and therefore will lead to an almost unreadable numbering though. As far as I know, it does not have a "hold" for lowest or highest, much less an average... But it can give you a rough idea.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-20, 10:16 AM   #44
Treetop64
Torpedoman

Downloads: 229

This is brilliant!

I don't suppose, however, there will be a version for RFB? Downloading anyway, but just wondering.

Thanks!

Treetop64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-20, 02:09 PM   #45
vickers03
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop64 View Post
This is brilliant!

I don't suppose, however, there will be a version for RFB? Downloading anyway, but just wondering.

Thanks!

maybe!