SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-17-22, 01:30 PM   #4456
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs View Post
"When doing Saves such as you describe, are you exiting the game after the Save, and then re-starting it before trying to load the Save?" No
I usually proceed on the charted course for a while, many minutes, then "Esc", and Return to Main, select Load and choose one of the previous Saves.
Today, I start the game, and choose the last of the two Saves, it loads ok, showing the remaining charted course. So exiting the game does allow reloading a Save correctly, but, I've never had to do it that way with v1.7 or any other previous version before!

Is there something I should check with Win10 regarding this? And yes, my game is loaded on the SSD.

Thanks for your help.
s7rikeback has eliminated a lot of the ID conflicts of the different assets in the game, which allows for a "cleaner" Save, as well as what we think is better game play and more stability (which helps the Save situatioin). However, the game (in fact, the whole SH series) has never been good at "housekeeping", as far as a Windows program's memory management is concerned. When you play one part of the game, you cannot then play another part of the game, since the game does not properly clear or "release" its memory buffer areas. This is also why shelling out to Windows is not good in the SH series games on the 'modern' computer, because Windows is now "virtual" while the SH games are "literal" in their addressing, such that the game sometimes gets "lost" as to where to find its "parts" in memory when you come back in - Windows might change that "virtual" memory location. But the poor "housekeeping", in not properly clearing its buffers (I think) is what you encounter when you load a Saved game back in without exiting. For a preliminary glimpse at the problem, look at what Front Runner posted in "The 'Quit/Start/Load/Reload' Issue (FOTRSU)", which is what led to the discoveries in "Base Time 2018" (the most helpful stuff is on Page 5). Interesting stuff, though VERY boring subjects. The first link is a game thing. The 2nd was exacerbated by an FotRSU thing (but the game as the root cause), from having mis-configured Career menu choices. A player really should NOT have to deal with that in a game. It should WORK as intended - and it would sure be nice to have some "documentation" for a modder's interface... oh well. Thanks Ubi! - but kudos to Front Runner and for digging into the details of those situations and helping us root them out!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-22, 03:33 PM   #4457
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
s7rikeback has eliminated a lot of the ID conflicts of the different assets in the game, which allows for a "cleaner" Save, as well as what we think is better game play and more stability (which helps the Save situatioin). However, the game (in fact, the whole SH series) has never been good at "housekeeping", as far as a Windows program's memory management is concerned. When you play one part of the game, you cannot then play another part of the game, since the game does not properly clear or "release" its memory buffer areas. This is also why shelling out to Windows is not good in the SH series games on the 'modern' computer, because Windows is now "virtual" while the SH games are "literal" in their addressing, such that the game sometimes gets "lost" as to where to find its "parts" in memory when you come back in - Windows might change that "virtual" memory location. But the poor "housekeeping", in not properly clearing its buffers (I think) is what you encounter when you load a Saved game back in without exiting. For a preliminary glimpse at the problem, look at what Front Runner posted in "The 'Quit/Start/Load/Reload' Issue (FOTRSU)", which is what led to the discoveries in "Base Time 2018" (the most helpful stuff is on Page 5). Interesting stuff, though VERY boring subjects. The first link is a game thing. The 2nd was exacerbated by an FotRSU thing (but the game as the root cause), from having mis-configured Career menu choices. A player really should NOT have to deal with that in a game. It should WORK as intended - and it would sure be nice to have some "documentation" for a modder's interface... oh well. Thanks Ubi! - but kudos to Front Runner and for digging into the details of those situations and helping us root them out!
Thank for digging up Front RUnners post, but I guess you can add Fall 1943 starts from Midway too!
Old 03-17-22, 05:25 PM   #4458
KOS
Swabbie

Downloads: 24
Uploads: 0

Hello all!

sorry to bother, but I can't change the difficulty settings when starting a new career.
I'd like to have some external views while keeping everything else.
In the main menu I can find the CUSTOM difficulty, but when selecting a new tour, there is not.

Have I installed uncorrectly the mod or is something missing ?

thank you in advance!

KOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-22, 05:33 PM   #4459
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOS View Post
Hello all!

sorry to bother, but I can't change the difficulty settings when starting a new career.
In the main menu I can find the CUSTOM difficulty, but when selecting a new tour, there is not.

thank you in advance!
That options menu in the main... is for other things like... training classes.

The options menu you want, for career/s, is located in that Radio, on the left of the desk, in the office... right after you start a career.

That is the options menu, for careers... you want.

NOT the options menu 1, in the main menu.

Hope this helps... clarify things for ya, skipper.

M. M.
Old 03-17-22, 10:40 PM   #4460
Torpex77
Helmsman

Downloads: 72
Default Absolute WOW

Upgraded to FOTRS Ultimate 1.7p3 and its absolutely extremely impressive! I'm in my 4th war patrol in an S Class, had the bow blown off (just the free flood area) so I didn't get destroyed. but what's up..a patrol boat with torpedo's! Excellent Suprise! The diving and rising angles!!!!! LOVE IT! Interiors and sounds are Excellent. Too much to mention (spoilers)

You all did a truly magnificent Job on SH4!!! Thank You!

Love the Pacific and the Fleet Boats!

Frank
Old 03-18-22, 01:15 PM   #4461
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs View Post
Thank for digging up Front RUnners post, but I guess you can add Fall 1943 starts from Midway too!
All starts in the career are like that. Do not Save and then load the save. Even in the Stock game, it causes troubles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOS View Post
Hello all!

thank you in advance!
The only thing to add to what MM said, is that each career can have different settings, so each time you start a career, or even while playing the career, when in the Captain's port Office, you can change the settings. So five careers? You can have all five set differently. The Main Menu choices stay the same each time you play, so you should visit that page each time in there also. Just do not go from a career to a Single Mission or vice versa, nor from the Museum to anything else, and vice versa. As above to jldjs, the game is rather cantankerous and persnickety about that kind of thang...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpex77 View Post
Upgraded to FOTRS Ultimate 1.7p3 and its absolutely extremely impressive! I'm in my 4th war patrol in an S Class, had the bow blown off (just the free flood area) so I didn't get destroyed. but what's up..a patrol boat with torpedo's! Excellent Suprise! The diving and rising angles!!!!! LOVE IT! Interiors and sounds are Excellent. Too much to mention (spoilers)

You all did a truly magnificent Job on SH4!!! Thank You!

Love the Pacific and the Fleet Boats!

Frank
Thank you from the team for the thanks! Glad you enjoy it, and we enjoy your enjoying it!

Old 03-19-22, 09:03 AM   #4462
SeniorCitizen
Army Goes Deep

Downloads: 54
Default Germans in the Pacific!

Running FOTRS v1.7p3/Nippon Maru/Nihon Kaigun. 3rd patrol out of Brisbane in Gato Class USS B-Yacht'ch. Patrolling south of Formosa in Convoy College area. May 7, 1943, sank a Split Freighter flying German flag.
SeniorCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-22, 09:07 AM   #4463
propbeanie

Yes indeedy! They were there. You won't find them very often, but besides the Yanagi missions and the Auxilary Cruisers that were around early, there were a few regular ship movements also. Definitely look-out for the U-Boats south of there... lol

Old 03-19-22, 09:18 AM   #4464
SeniorCitizen
Army Goes Deep

Cool! Hope I come across those Russian ships making the long transit towards the Black Sea from eastern Russia. They're going down! Doing my part for Ukraine.
Old 03-19-22, 09:40 AM   #4465
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

SeniorCitizen!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-22, 10:50 AM   #4466
SeniorCitizen
Army Goes Deep

propbeanie,

Sent you a PM on different subject.
Old 03-19-22, 11:06 AM   #4467
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorCitizen View Post
Cool! Hope I come across those Russian ships making the long transit towards the Black Sea from eastern Russia. They're going down! Doing my part for Ukraine.

sink 'em all, herr kaleun!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-22, 01:36 PM   #4468
propbeanie

I got the PM, and definitely a cool idea there SeniorCitizen. As for the Russians, remember that they are a Japanese neutral in the Empire Waters area, and an Ally of the US and Great Britain... they will count negatively against your renown score... You will however see them at times (hopefully mostly winter months) come out of the Korean Strait or the Tsugaru Strait when La Pérouse Strait freezes over.

Old 03-19-22, 02:28 PM   #4469
SeniorCitizen
Army Goes Deep

Default Bad Attempt at Humor

propbeanie,
My previous comment on the Russian ships was actually just a bad attempt at humor in relation to current events and the ships Russia now has moving through the Pacific enroute to the Black Sea. That being said, if ships of the USSR show up "in game", I'll still probably sink them anyway, just on principle, and take the hit on points.
Old 03-19-22, 03:28 PM   #4470
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorCitizen View Post
propbeanie,
My previous comment on the Russian ships was actually just a bad attempt at humor in relation to current events and the ships Russia now has moving through the Pacific enroute to the Black Sea. That being said, if ships of the USSR show up "in game", I'll still probably sink them anyway, just on principle, and take the hit on points.
jumping in here....because i also responded to your post.

when you mentioned the Black Sea, i immediately connected your comment to the Dark Waters mega-mod in SH4, which is the only scenario of which i am aware where you would access the Black sea and be playing as a German Kaleun with a German U-boat.

if i mis-interpreted your post, please enlighten me.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote