SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-07-20, 06:06 PM   #2161
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beast View Post
Well.... Basically I was sent to the brig and got a court martial. The screens said despite my medals and successes, that it didn’t affect the outcome and my captain was finished.
This was ONE neutral and it finished my captain.
ouch. that was rude. one, measly hospital ship that was probably carrying explosives and ammo too and you got fired? totally rude.

ok, back to being Kaleun Serious.

How many objectives did you complete on that mission?
and
How many ships did you sink on that mission?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-20, 08:20 PM   #2162
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Well.....let’s just say that things did not go well for me when I returned back to Pearl. Received a bronze star and then got a screen like one you would get when you recieve a new boat, but this one was a game over screen. Basically I was sent to the brig and got a court martial. The screens said despite my medals and successes, that it didn’t affect the outcome and my captain was finished.
A hospital ship is NOT a neutral - it is a hospital ship. That is considered "wrong ship sunk", and costs you quite a bit more in renown that a neutral ship would. A neutral costs you the opposite of what it would if it was not neutral. A hospital ship costs you 10x that amount, and usually ends up in you going below the level for court martial action from the game. Don't shoot hospital ships, even if they do go sky-high from ammunition detonating on them...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-20, 09:15 PM   #2163
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
ouch. that was rude. one, measly hospital ship that was probably carrying explosives and ammo too and you got fired? totally rude.

ok, back to being Kaleun Serious.

How many objectives did you complete on that mission?
and
How many ships did you sink on that mission?
I completed three objectives:
1. Standby for additional orders in Area 7
2. Sink enemy merchant shipping in area 7
3. Patrol Area 7 for 5 days.

I sank over 33,000 tons, enough to be awarded a bronze star before getting thrown into the brig, lol. I sank maybe 5-7 ships, of course not counting the hospital ship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
A hospital ship is NOT a neutral - it is a hospital ship. That is considered "wrong ship sunk", and costs you quite a bit more in renown that a neutral ship would. A neutral costs you the opposite of what it would if it was not neutral. A hospital ship costs you 10x that amount, and usually ends up in you going below the level for court martial action from the game. Don't shoot hospital ships, even if they do go sky-high from ammunition detonating on them...
Yeah, that makes sense, even though they are supporting the enemy via ammunition and troops.

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-20, 09:21 AM   #2164
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Quote:
Well.....let’s just say that things did not go well for me when I returned back to Pearl. Received a bronze star and then got a screen like one you would get when you recieve a new boat, but this one was a game over screen. Basically I was sent to the brig and got a court martial. The screens said despite my medals and successes, that it didn’t affect the outcome and my captain was finished.

I stand corrected.
if you got court-martialed then i was probably censured for supporting you.
let me buy you a drink when you are released.

LAA enabled
Old 11-08-20, 10:19 AM   #2165
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Serious kudos on getting the dual 5"/25 bow-and-stern guns operational. Not sure how I missed the announcement, but it was a very nice surprise.

Are the second gun crew's abilities a mirror of the first?
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-20, 12:08 PM   #2166
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

An Hospital ship is designated as a Type13=Auxiliary Ship in fotrs and would display a blue sonar line, that should make it a valid target to attack me thinks. Can Mr beanie confirm if this is the case and its definitely classed as a Type13 and its not a typo, if it is true then you've stuck 2 fingers up to the Geneva conventions rules of engagement wotsit.

[UnitClass]
ClassName=NSHOS
UnitType=13
AppearanceDate=19180101
DisappearanceDate=19470101
DisplayName=RC Hospital Transport

[Texture 1]
TextureName=data/Sea/NSHOS/NSHOS_T01.tga
LightmapTextureName=
NormalmapTextureName=
StartDate=19000101
EndDate=19991231
Frequency=1

[Unit 1]
Name=Hospital Transport
DOC=19180101
DOD=19470101
Old 11-08-20, 01:07 PM   #2167
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mios 4Me View Post
Serious kudos on getting the dual 5"/25 bow-and-stern guns operational. Not sure how I missed the announcement, but it was a very nice surprise.

the second guns crews' abilities will be unique for each crewman.
you will have to assign specific crew to man each weapon.
if you choose to man only one weapon but use the same crew then the abilities would be the same. however, if you decide to attack a target with both weapons, you will have to have crew to man both weapons and their skill will be indicated by the GUNS skills of each crewman.

does that make sense?

LAA enabled
Old 11-08-20, 02:22 PM   #2168
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

Quote:
if you choose to man only one weapon but use the same crew then the abilities would be the same. however, if you decide to attack a target with both weapons, you will have to have crew to man both weapons and their skill will be indicated by the GUNS skills of each crewman.

does that make sense?
Normally, yes; however....

I have both 5"/25 guns in place and firing as ordered, and am capable of firing the fore gun myself with no delays in reloading. However, the fore gun is operating without any visible crew members - just like my twin 40 mms have only one gunner present - and there are no gun crew spaces on the crew management page for either the fore gun or the second gunner's position on either 40 mm.

Where the program is drawing the ghost crewmembers' attributes is a mystery.

I don't mind this a bit; I'm just curious and imagine it will be addressed by Mazzi's solution in the next update, though I'm not sure that applies to the 40 mm issue.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-20, 03:33 PM   #2169
propbeanie

Quote:

Quote:
Normally, yes; however....

I have both 5"/25 guns in place and firing as ordered, and am capable of firing the fore gun myself with no delays in reloading. However, the fore gun is operating without any visible crew members - just like my twin 40 mms have only one gunner present - and there are no gun crew spaces on the crew management page for either the fore gun or the second gunner's position on either 40 mm.

Where the program is drawing the ghost crewmembers' attributes is a mystery.

I don't mind this a bit; I'm just curious and imagine it will be addressed by Mazzi's solution in the next update, though I'm not sure that applies to the 40 mm issue.
Quote:
Under normal circumstances with say a Sargo boat, what KaleunMarco says would stand. If you look at especially the guns in FotRSU for the Balao and Tench, the guns that precede the boat's "active" time period are not part of the boats' definitions. Logically thinking, why would they be? The boat comes out in July 1943, why would you put the 3" gun in the boats equipment, and use more data space in the mod? I have not looked at stock in this regard yet, but other mods besides FotRSU do this.

But with what mazzi said, and his fix, applying that 3" gun to the Balao and Tench both, now both boats upgrade properly. I have done the same with the radar equipment, but had not done a full set of that yet, but the preliminary testing in the Balao does indeed show proper "upgrades". As to whether they function as intended, I have not had enough time on them yet. But previously, the Balao started with the Improved SJ, and did not have a "standard" SJ listing. When a player would get the ST Periscope radar, their radar range fell to 4-6000 yards, and while that works for a submerged submarine with their radar array exposed, it does NOT function as well as a skipper would want when surfaced, expecting a 16-20k yard range. That should have been "fixed" for the Balao last round, quite by accident, but it did function in testing prior to the 1.26p release. The Tench was not touched.

At this time, s7rikeback and I are going through the files, and he is trying to match the eqp files to the upc files, such that a player knows what they'll get & when, while I'm going through the upc files and adding any missing equipment from day one of the game. The deck guns, AA guns, sonar, hydrophones, surface radar, and air search radar all would probably have a similar "front-end", even though there are three different sections of the game that handle deck guns, AA guns, and submarine equipment... We'll see how well this works in a few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
An Hospital ship is designated as a Type13=Auxiliary Ship in fotrs and would display a blue sonar line, that should make it a valid target to attack me thinks. Can Mr beanie confirm if this is the case and its definitely classed as a Type13 and its not a typo, if it is true then you've stuck 2 fingers up to the Geneva conventions rules of engagement wotsit.

[UnitClass]
ClassName=NSHOS
UnitType=13
AppearanceDate=19180101
DisappearanceDate=19470101
DisplayName=RC Hospital Transport

[Texture 1]
TextureName=data/Sea/NSHOS/NSHOS_T01.tga
LightmapTextureName=
NormalmapTextureName=
StartDate=19000101
EndDate=19991231
Frequency=1

[Unit 1]
Name=Hospital Transport
DOC=19180101
DOD=19470101
A hospital ship though, is a hospital ship. As such, skippers, no matter how good they were at their jobs, were court-martialed and punished, both for sinking neutrals and for sinking hospital ships. Case in point:
The Awa Maru 1945

The ship departed Singapore on March 28, but on April 1 was intercepted late at night in the Taiwan Strait by the American submarine USS Queenfish (SS-393), which mistook her for a destroyer. The Awa Maru was sailing as a hospital ship under the protection of the Red Cross, and under the agreed rules, she disclosed to the Allies the route she would take back to Japan. Her original route was promulgated through a minefield, an apparent ruse to draw attackers into the mined area. The area was known as mined, and would have been avoided at any rate. Her final route avoided the mines.

The torpedoes of the Queenfish sank the ship. Only one of the 2,004 passengers and crew, Kantora Shimoda, survived. He was the Captain's personal steward, and it was the third time in which he was the sole survivor of a torpedoed ship. The commanding officer of the Queenfish, Commander Charles Elliott Loughlin was ordered by Admiral Ernest King to an immediate general court-martial. As the Awa Maru sank "she was carrying a cargo of rubber, lead, tin, and sugar. Seventeen hundred merchant seamen and 80 first-class passengers, all survivors of ship sinkings, were being transported from Singapore to Japan.…[The] survivor said no Red Cross supplies were aboard, they having been previously unloaded."

Aftermath
Commander Loughlin was found guilty of negligence, and the U.S. Government offered, via neutral Switzerland to replace the Awa Maru with a similar ship. Japan demanded full indemnification.

On the very day of Japan's surrender, 14 August 1945, Foreign Minister Togo forwarded a message to the United States through Bern, Switzerland, demanding payment of 196,115,000 yen ($45 million) for the loss of 2,003 lives; 30,370,000 yen ($7.25 million) for the goods aboard the Awa Maru; and various other claims, for a total demand of 227,286,600 yen or approximately $52.5 million.…No gold bullion is mentioned in the message.

The Japanese bill was never paid, and in 1949 the matter was closed.
There are several sources for the story, including Silent Victory, with one story mentioning that Loughlin was immediately removed from service with the Executive Officer then assuming command of the boat. I do not find that in any "historical" stories of the incident, but maybe it did happen, I do not know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliott_Loughlin

Technically NOT a hospital ship, it had been given free passage as such... A very interesting, unfortunate story. Lockwood did take blame for it also.

Old 11-09-20, 10:08 AM   #2170
WH4K
Frogman

Downloads: 56

Well if the ST periscope radar works at all that would be an improvement. Couple versions of FotRSUE ago, selecting it left me with no air search radar at all.
Old 11-10-20, 09:53 AM   #2171
Captain Ken
Swabbie

Downloads: 498
Default Help needed!!

OK, first off, I have really enjoyed playing the various Fall of the Rising Sun game mods. I admit that I am not very tech savy, and am having trouble with this V1.24 upgrade and the V1.26 patch.

I keep reading instructions for me to download "100_FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateUpgrade_v1.2_EN.7z ", move it here, etc.

In spite of trying to search the site, have not been able to locate this download file. I can only find the "100_FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateEdition_v1.24_EN.7 z" file. What am I missing?
Captain Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-20, 10:17 AM   #2172
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

hadn't got it downloaded yet and don't go to any extra trouble on my account if that time can be use to work on the mod i play a mod years ago don't remember which one it was now getting old sucks where when you upgraded equipment it sideline you for how many days it took to place it on the boat i like that
Old 11-10-20, 12:08 PM   #2173
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH4K View Post
Well if the ST periscope radar works at all that would be an improvement. Couple versions of FotRSUE ago, selecting it left me with no air search radar at all.
It does, though like I mentioned, it is boat dependent, in that if everything else is OK, then the ST will be OK... It should work without fail next version on all boats that "qualify" for it. It is not on all boats, and I do not remember where the cut-off is, whether its on the Porpoise or not, but I am almost positive it is not on the Narwhal or S-Boat classes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ken View Post
OK, first off, I have really enjoyed playing the various Fall of the Rising Sun game mods. I admit that I am not very tech savy, and am having trouble with this V1.24 upgrade and the V1.26 patch.

I keep reading instructions for me to download "100_FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateUpgrade_v1.2_EN.7z ", move it here, etc.

In spite of trying to search the site, have not been able to locate this download file. I can only find the "100_FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateEdition_v1.24_EN.7 z" file. What am I missing?
The "patch" works with any version (supposedly) of FotRSU from v1.2 through v1.24, so the v1.24 is fine. Patch that with the v1.26p, empty the Save folder, and go hunting. It is recommended to not use the Narwhal though, because something got broken on it when altering the fleet boats. They all share a certain file apparently, that is not set-up for the current Narwhal configuration. We are working on that, and currently delayed in other aspects of the next release. If you really want to use the Narwhal, do not apply the patch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by les green01 View Post
hadn't got it downloaded yet and don't go to any extra trouble on my account if that time can be use to work on the mod i play a mod years ago don't remember which one it was now getting old sucks where when you upgraded equipment it sideline you for how many days it took to place it on the boat i like that
We'll go ahead and figure on making a split zip file version, because there was another user previously that used the split zip, since he has a limited connection to the internet, and is only allowed a certain amount of data each day. Just remember that you do need a 64-bit OS and 4 gig of RAM at a minimum. If you have a 32-bit OS, let us know, and we can direct you on how to set-up Windows a bit differently to access more than 2gig, in spite of the OS limitation.

Old 11-10-20, 12:33 PM   #2174
Captain Ken
Swabbie

Downloads: 498
Default Help needed!!

Many thanks for your reply, but when I tried to put both the V1.24 and the V1.26 files into the MODS folder, I received the error message that the second mod was trying to change files that had already been written.

Do I just accept and let the patch overwrite the files?

Thanks in advance!
Captain Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-20, 01:59 PM   #2175
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Quote:
A hospital ship though, is a hospital ship. As such, skippers, no matter how good they were at their jobs, were court-martialed and punished, both for sinking neutrals and for sinking hospital ships. Case in point:
The Awa Maru 1945

The ship departed Singapore on March 28, but on April 1 was intercepted late at night in the Taiwan Strait by the American submarine USS Queenfish (SS-393), which mistook her for a destroyer. The Awa Maru was sailing as a hospital ship under the protection of the Red Cross, and under the agreed rules, she disclosed to the Allies the route she would take back to Japan. Her original route was promulgated through a minefield, an apparent ruse to draw attackers into the mined area. The area was known as mined, and would have been avoided at any rate. Her final route avoided the mines.

The torpedoes of the Queenfish sank the ship. Only one of the 2,004 passengers and crew, Kantora Shimoda, survived. He was the Captain's personal steward, and it was the third time in which he was the sole survivor of a torpedoed ship. The commanding officer of the Queenfish, Commander Charles Elliott Loughlin was ordered by Admiral Ernest King to an immediate general court-martial. As the Awa Maru sank "she was carrying a cargo of rubber, lead, tin, and sugar. Seventeen hundred merchant seamen and 80 first-class passengers, all survivors of ship sinkings, were being transported from Singapore to Japan.…[The] survivor said no Red Cross supplies were aboard, they having been previously unloaded."

Aftermath
Commander Loughlin was found guilty of negligence, and the U.S. Government offered, via neutral Switzerland to replace the Awa Maru with a similar ship. Japan demanded full indemnification.

On the very day of Japan's surrender, 14 August 1945, Foreign Minister Togo forwarded a message to the United States through Bern, Switzerland, demanding payment of 196,115,000 yen ($45 million) for the loss of 2,003 lives; 30,370,000 yen ($7.25 million) for the goods aboard the Awa Maru; and various other claims, for a total demand of 227,286,600 yen or approximately $52.5 million.…No gold bullion is mentioned in the message.

The Japanese bill was never paid, and in 1949 the matter was closed.
There are several sources for the story, including Silent Victory, with one story mentioning that Loughlin was immediately removed from service with the Executive Officer then assuming command of the boat. I do not find that in any "historical" stories of the incident, but maybe it did happen, I do not know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliott_Loughlin

Technically NOT a hospital ship, it had been given free passage as such... A very interesting, unfortunate story. Lockwood did take blame for it also.
That above cannot be disputed Mr beanie, but if the Japanese had re-designated it as a military auxiliary ship and it was sunk by Commander Loughlin he wouldn't have been court martialled now would he.

The hospital ship should be designated as either a military ship or as a hospital ship you cannot have it both ways Mr beanie. Breaking International law whenever it suits you just to spice the game up is not the done thing now is it. That ship needs fixing for the next version and you need to keep your itchy little fingers off it.