SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-16-21, 04:21 PM   #3661
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

As info for you others, no matter what boat you are driving, when you get a Tench as a boat "upgrade", it does NOT come with ST, and of course, as was found last release, you CANNOT purchase the ST because of the fact that it is a multi-part purchase that cannot be linked into one purchase, so we have given KaleunMarco a potential edit, and we'll see what he comes up with... fingers crossed, tossing salt over my shoulder, and all of those other "wee folk" thingies me gran-mamma used to do... you do need a bit of an Irish brogue on "wee folk"...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-21, 11:28 PM   #3662
mazzi
Mate

Downloads: 551
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
As info for you others, no matter what boat you are driving, when you get a Tench as a boat "upgrade", it does NOT come with ST, and of course, as was found last release, you CANNOT purchase the ST because of the fact that it is a multi-part purchase that cannot be linked into one purchase
You don't have to buy anything. Your ST radar is registered by default in 1945-01-01 on boats Gato, Porpose, Balao, Salmon, Sargo, Tambor, Narwhal.
Start your career on one of these boats in 1945 "Beginning of 1945".
How many radar slots do you have in your equipment?

I have ONE, for "SV Elite Radar" or "Improved SD Radar". ST is simply not there (no second slot).
mazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-21, 11:38 PM   #3663
propbeanie

mazzi, I am guessing it goes back to the use of Default1 and Default2 for the Tench, which was used so that there is an "upgrade" path if a player gets the boat early. However, KaleunMarco had a Sargo, and skipped the Tambor, Gato & Balao boats for upgrades. I don't know if he scored that well throughout his career and refused new boats, or if he had a stellar last patrol, or what, but he got a Tench boat as an upgrade reward. His Tench, when issued in February 1945, apparently did not have the ST Radar, even though the ST is active in January 1945. He might be trying to do the upgrade again, but with an edited Tench.upc file that has only a Default1 line for the periscope radar head - which is the piece he was missing. All else was in place. A player cannot purchase an ST radar, since it has several pieces in multiple "slot" and "equipment" sections. It is not set-up like the SJ...

Old 07-17-21, 02:56 AM   #3664
mazzi
Mate

Downloads: 551

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
mazzi, I am guessing it goes back to the use of Default1 and Default2 for the Tench, which was used so that there is an "upgrade" path if a player gets the boat early. However, KaleunMarco had a Sargo, and skipped the Tambor, Gato & Balao boats for upgrades.
I realized that his second radar does not work out of the two. Ground or surface - not working, aviation - working.
What is ST, is it a green screen radar or something else?
This green radar does not work on ALL boats in 1945. It doesn't matter how it got there - it stood immediately or appeared during the update.

Your ST is not correctly described either in Equipment.upc or in UpgradePacks.upc, or in general there is an error in data\library\*.dat where the sensors are.
mazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-21, 08:04 AM   #3665
propbeanie

The ST is not an actual radar, but uses a dummy set-up and the Improved SJ. In addition to the usual SJ set-up, there is the ST dummy, and a new observation periscope head. The "upgrade" to ST usually functions correctly if the game issues it automatically. But when a player "purchases" it with renown, they are able to get the "package" with the app and other pieces, but the periscope head is not brought in with the purchase. It requires a "slot" change, which also does not happen. KaleunMarco edited his Tench.upc file and tried the upgrade process last night, and there was no change. His Tench still did not come with the ST periscope radar.

Old 07-17-21, 08:35 AM   #3666
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzi View Post
You don't have to buy anything. Your ST radar is registered by default in 1945-01-01 on boats Gato, Porpose, Balao, Salmon, Sargo, Tambor, Narwhal.

I have ONE, for "SV Elite Radar" or "Improved SD Radar". ST is simply not there (no second slot).
mazzi,

the US boats have two types of radar available: surface and air.
each is independent of the other.
in this in-port screen shot, you can see an example of both radar sets.

in this example, the ST set is installed as the Surface Radar and
Improved SD is the Air Search radar.

if you click on the graphic for either set, the left hand panel will display all of the available sets for that boat at that time period.

in the example above, Improved SD is the installed Air Search set but SV Air Search Radar is available for upgrade.

in this second example (just above), i've clicked on the Surface Search radar and you can see that there is another Surface Search Radar available for installation, SJ-1 Improved Radar.

what PB and i have discovered is that there appears to be an unexpected result if one upgrades to a Tench in 1945 from a Sargo boat, the new Tench should come with the ST Surface Search Radar as standard equipment, but it didn't. My attempt to install it while in port did not make it an effective radar, which means that it doesn't work when i leave on patrol.

does this help you understand the unique situation we have encountered?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-21, 09:35 AM   #3667
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzi View Post

Mazzi,

and now i understand to what you were referring.
you are seeing this:

you start your career in January 1945 at Pearl with a Tench and you see only one slot...for Air Search and no slot for Surface Search, correct?

@PB: is this expected?

LAA enabled
Old 07-17-21, 11:03 AM   #3668
TorBra79
Nub

Downloads: 28

Hey Guys and fellow skippers,

I made it work. As soon as the FOTRS Splash Screen showed up I was happy

Problem is, I don't remember what the problem was. So can't really tell the solution. Sorry.

Now I'm in my 2nd mission and have to deliver supplies to Mariveles Bay - done.

But while fulfilling this mission I got the 2nd objective to pick up survivors or wounded personel (it says something like they come with a PT boat - look out for their light)
I was in the designated area (green circle) nothing happened. I was directly beside the PT boat, nothing happened.

How do I solve the objective?

Thx in advance
TorBra79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-21, 11:31 AM   #3669
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorBra79 View Post

But while fulfilling this mission I got the 2nd objective to pick up survivors or wounded personel (it says something like they come with a PT boat - look out for their light)
I was in the designated area (green circle) nothing happened. I was directly beside the PT boat, nothing happened.

answering your question will be difficult without some additional information.
do you know where the SH4 Savefolders are located on your system?
Most probably \Documents\SH4...unless you are using MultiSH4 and have more than one instance of SH4.
under that folder there will be a series of sub-folders.
\Documents\SH4\data\cfg\SaveGames
Under SaveGames you will see a series of folders that are mostly numbers but could also be alphanumeric. these folders are where each of the saves you created are stored. (apologies for the bad English).
using the Windows Date-Time stamp, find a save folder from the mission you mention above. if you drill down into that save folder, you will see a file named CareerTrack.upc. Open that file using Windows Notepad. Now, you are almost finished with the task. within CareerTrack.upc look for the line that begins with:
PlayerCurrentObjectives=IDnnn
select that whole line and paste it into your reply here.
close CareerTrack and do not save it. you do NOT want to make any changes, even inadvertently.
good luck!

LAA enabled

Last edited by KaleunMarco; 07-17-21 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-17-21, 11:54 AM   #3670
TorBra79
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
CareerTrack.upc look for the line that begins with:
PlayerCurrentObjectives=IDnnn
select that whole line and paste it into your reply here.
First thank you and no worries about your english, everything was understandable for my German Brain.

Here are the requested lines out of the newest save file:
PlayerCurrentObjectiveCode=EarlyPhilOPS
PlayerDefaultObjectives=ID94
PlayerCurrentObjectives=ID326
Old 07-17-21, 12:44 PM   #3671
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

TorBra79!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-21, 01:58 PM   #3672
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
First thank you and no worries about your english, everything was understandable for my German Brain.

Here are the requested lines out of the newest save file:
PlayerCurrentObjectiveCode=EarlyPhilOPS
PlayerDefaultObjectives=ID94
PlayerCurrentObjectives=ID326
ok, great info. good job.

your first objective was to drop off supplies at Cochino's Point.
your second objective is to pick up wounded personnel in a PT boat. what those orders really mean in SH4-ese is that you are looking for "survivors" in a raft.
these wounded-army-personnel/survivors are the same thing as downed aviators who need to be rescued.
if you have not experienced lifeguard missions as yet, practice up on these with single missions or war patrols before attempting to re-run this Mariveles mission.
so, back to the rescue job....the rescue pickup location is ESE of Cochino Point. the raft will be available for rescue between May 1 and May 4. if you are early then you have to wait around somewhere, safely.
if you are late, then the raft has come and gone and you will not be able to complete that objective...so, go and sink some ships, Herr Kaleun.

LAA enabled
Old 07-17-21, 02:34 PM   #3673
TorBra79
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
second objective is to pick up wounded personnel in a PT boat.
yes and there is a PT boat cruising around.

Quote:
what those orders really mean in SH4-ese is that you are looking for "survivors" in a raft.
no raft in sight. just mentioned PT boat. Time of the save its night and raining... would be easier to search for a needle in a hayball

Quote:
these wounded-army-personnel/survivors are the same thing as downed aviators who need to be rescued.
if you have not experienced lifeguard missions as yet, practice up on these with single missions or war patrols before attempting to re-run this Mariveles mission.
yeah I saw the button that let you do this but it's greyed out cause no "target" - will try a single mission

Quote:
so, back to the rescue job....the rescue pickup location is ESE of Cochino Point. the raft will be available for rescue between May 1 and May 4. if you are early then you have to wait around somewhere, safely.
if you are late, then the raft has come and gone and you will not be able to complete that objective...so, go and sink some ships, Herr Kaleun.
yeah in the green circle I would think
May?
CurrentDate=1942-02-12 08:36:29

I think I'm running out of booze for my crew before May so... sorry rafters, no chance

Thanks for the help
Old 07-17-21, 03:12 PM   #3674
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
yeah in the green circle I would think May?
CurrentDate=1942-02-12 08:36:29

I think I'm running out of booze for my crew before May so... sorry rafters, no chance

Thanks for the help

yeah, if it's february, then you are just a bit early.

not sure how/why you got assigned this mission but you should press on and go sink some ships.

practice your lifeguarding between now and May, ok?

LAA enabled
Old 07-17-21, 04:00 PM   #3675
propbeanie

Quote:
Hey Guys and fellow skippers,

I made it work. As soon as the FOTRS Splash Screen showed up I was happy

Problem is, I don't remember what the problem was. So can't really tell the solution. Sorry.

Thx in advance
In line with what KaleunMarco said, this is one of those "maybe" missions. Here is the overview:

The big "circle" is used as a "trip wire", in that as you cross it, the "event" sets off a series of changes to the mission. When you first start out, there is the "Primary" objective of inserting the supplies, but when you cross that line, it activates the "Hidden Primary" objective of picking up the passengers. It is then supposed to send you a message alerting you to the update, and then to spawn the "Rescue_Raft" object. While the raft has a May 1 entry date, there is an "event" to have them spawn earlier than that. However, the game will "hiccup" sometimes, and spawn the raft first, which then doesn't have an "Objective" associated with it. We know the "spawning" is working though, because the PT boat spawns... However, the rescue raft should be moving slightly, and the PT boat should be at anchor. As KM described, you should be able to see the boat by its lit flare:

As you get closer, you should be able to see people onboard, though what you are after probably only has three people in it. This example is from a while back, and is the New Zealand boat:

As KM mentioned, you do have to be on the proper menu for the Bridge, and you have to look at the raft through the binoculars, but another point is that you have to be in close enough that you get a "Ship spotted" from your crew. This is generally at least 1500 yards out, but oftentimes much closer, and depends upon the sea state and the weather conditions. When looking at the raft through the binoculars, there is a little plus ( + ) sign in the middle of the view, that is usually yellow. That has to turn red, and then the life ring will light on the menu. That's when you can press it and affect the pickup. But the raft has to be there, and your crew has to spot it... Also, it is best to attempt pickups bow-on, since there is less rocking of the submarine at that angle, and to not get in too close, else it can be difficult to get the binoculars on the subject long enough to activate the life ring...

Now, all that said, you cannot use the "SS08 Insertion_Rescue Training" Submarine School mission to try things out (which the pics above are from), or rather, you ~can~ use it, but it does not function correctly... - Someone trashed it with one of the last updates to FotRSU... We'll fix that for the next version, which is getting close... maybe... lol - after all of that, there are times when the game does not "spawn" the rescue raft or survivors, so the usual CenPac Rule applies "give them 24 hours, and if no sign of them, take off and head home"... As KM says "go find something to sink".