SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-10-10, 03:49 PM   #1
Gorshkov
Commodore

Downloads: 139
Uploads: 0
Default Disabled towed arrays on US subs in LWAMI 3.10?

Both Seawolf and 688I should have two towed arrays (port and starboard regardless of their specific type). However in my game installation there are several oddities present:

- one array is always grayed-out in the Stations Panel -> Ship Control menu
- on 688I I can deploy both arrays simultaneously but only using Orders Menu -> Arrays/Wires
- on Seawolf I can deploy only one array at the same time also in the Orders Menu -> Arrays/Wires only

Last edited by Gorshkov; 07-10-10 at 04:12 PM.
Gorshkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10, 04:10 PM   #2
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

Flip the switch in ship control to enable the other array in the orders menu.

This is present in stock DW as well on my machine, not just LWAMI.

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10, 04:15 PM   #3
Gorshkov
Commodore

Downloads: 139

So this works correctly on 688I sub but not on Seawolf because I cannot switch to the second towed array while the first one is deployed.

Besides suppose I have both towed arrays deployed: What data (from which array) are shown in the sonar station's waterfall display then?
Gorshkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10, 04:38 PM   #4
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorshkov View Post
So this works correctly on 688I sub but not on Seawolf because I cannot switch to the second towed array while the first one is deployed.
Or vice versa, I'm not sure what SCS intended, but I think one of those functions is a bug.

Quote:
Besides suppose I have both towed arrays deployed: What data (from which array) are shown in the sonar station's waterfall display then?
Whatever array is selected on the ship control screen.

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-10, 05:56 AM   #5
-GrayOwl-
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorshkov View Post

Which switch is established in ShipControl Station, that and will give the data on the display sonars.
Old 07-30-10, 01:34 PM   #6
Hangman
Bosun

Downloads: 39

Perhaps I am mistaken, but I was to the understanding the two towed arrays are there, but are to be used only one at a time.
Anotherwords, you use ONLY the starboard or the port array, not both. If one gets damaged, then you can use the other.
I had read somewhere that these two arrays were too close together to get a reading good enough to warrant the use of both of them at the same time.
Am I wrong in this assessment ??

Thanks.

<EDITED> This assessment is only partially correct. It applies to 688(i) only as the towed arrays are identical. There is no advantage to having both out as I mentioned earlier, they are too close together to make a difference.
The Seawolf however, has two different arrays and so both could/should be deployed.

Last edited by Hangman; 08-02-10 at 02:18 PM.
Hangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-10, 03:05 PM   #7
Hangman
Bosun

So, according to the stock DW, the two towed arrays on the Seawolf cannot be deployed at the same time. I was playing with it the other day and discovered, using stock - no mods installed - that if you deploy one of the two, the other is immediately greyed out. So you can only use one array, not both even though they are two different frequencies.
Does anyone know if this is hard coded into the game ? Or can it be adjusted in one of the great mods - LwAmi for example ?
Old 09-10-10, 03:23 PM   #8
clive bradbury
Captain

Downloads: 105

As far as I am aware, only one TA is used at any one time in real life, so why do you want to use both at once?
clive bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-10, 03:36 PM   #9
Hangman
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by clive bradbury View Post
As far as I am aware, only one TA is used at any one time in real life, so why do you want to use both at once?
I had read that the LA Class has the same sensor on both arrays. So you really wouldn't want to use both. Besides, they are too close together to get a good bearing using both.
But, the Seawolf Class submarine has two different sensors. One is extended the whole ... what, 2600 feet ?, the other is extended a shorter distance, 1800 to 2000 feet if I remember right. One is the really sensitive device while the other is the 'standard' device similar to that used on the LA Class.
I was to the understanding that in the real world, with the two different sensors, the Navy was using both at the same time.?.