SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-21-20, 05:35 PM   #1
BradR
Watch

Downloads: 97
Uploads: 0
Default SH2, Destroyer Command Save Bug. Has anyone ever mentioned this?

I've been searching the classic sub sims section to see if this problem has ever been encountered before, but I've not seen anyone mention this problem before.

I've been playing Destroyer Command and Silent Hunter 2 for years now, on several different computers and operating systems. The games, for the most part, work fantastic and I have them heavily custom modded. However, there is a particular problem I've consistently encountered that seems to be inherent in the code, modded or stock. Every time I save a mission in either game, a funny glitch happens upon reloading the mission: the turrets of surface ships sink into the model! This bug makes completing a saved mission both comical and impossible. This forces me to finish my missions all in one sitting, which can literally take all day on my complex, custom missions. Has anyone else ever encountered this bug, and has anyone ever found a solution to this? Is this indeed inherent in the source code, and just a sad reality for this awesome game?
BradR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-20, 08:34 AM   #2
Vox165
Soundman

Downloads: 141

Quote:
....reloading the mission: the turrets of surface ships sink into the model !
Ive never seen that! All the surface ship models?

IIRC There were problems with some saved SH2/DC games in the past. The problems were usually missing data ( eg tonnages) or lship and AI behaviors were off ( eg failing to attack etc) . I haven't touch SH2 in years.

More recently I reloaded DC: base game, patch, PM, Fletchers, Kriegstanz , and some graphic mods into a win7 machine. Ditched the red triangle. Runs fine, tho I generally avoid saves. When I do, I only save when there is low activity occurring in the game and haven't run into a problem.
Vox165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-20, 09:53 AM   #3
BradR
Watch

Downloads: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox165 View Post
All the surface ship models?

Yep, every single one, on every single ship, including AA mounts, torpedo tubes, and DC racks. Again, very comical. I've not noticed any other errors, like missing tonnage, but I didn't play the corrupted save for long. Interesting that this seems to have not been encountered before, but it's been so consitent with me. Maybe it's the copy I have, but it isn't bootleg. I bought it at a game store, in the packaging it was released with, with manual and all. As far as I know, it's a published copy.
BradR is offline   Reply With Quote