SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-03-18, 05:35 AM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Default And computers keep. Getting. Faster.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3264...-features.html

Quote:
While Intel’s Radeon RX Vega (“Kaby Lake-G”) chip was designed to offer 1080p performance inside of something that approaches an ultrabook, the new 8th-gen Core i9 chips are designed for what Hamberger called “musclebooks,” offering the absolute best performance that you can get on a laptop.
Awesome! I am reassured when I read articles like this that PC tech is not stagnating. Even decades after my first PC, the tech keeps getting better and better.

Quote:
Using new “thermal velocity boost” technology to propel the new Core i9-8950HK from a base clock rate of 2.9GHz to a whopping 4.8GHz, the new unlocked 8th-generation Core i9 sits atop five new Core i5 and Core i7 high-performance mobile H-series chips, plus four more U-series Core chips aimed at lower-power systems. (All are “Coffee Lake” 14nm chips.) Intel also launched a new lineup of desktop Core processors, plus a new branding logo (Core i7+) to indicate the presence of hard drive-boosting Optane memory inside notebook PCs.

Compared to a 7th-generation Core processor, Intel says Core i9 is up to 41 percent faster in gaming frame rates and 32 percent faster when streaming and recording your gameplay. Since the new Core i9 is unlocked, expect gaming PC makers to release 5GHz systems, Intel executives said. And if Optane memory comes bundled, performance could increase further, though the 7th-gen system Intel used for comparison includes a slower mechanical hard drive rather than an SSD.
and https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...g-laptops-list
Old 04-03-18, 06:32 AM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

No chance that these chips already are hardened against Spectre and Meltdown. But to buy new chips today if not desperately needed to do, imo is pointless if accepting these - though still theoretical - vulnerabilities.

Wait 3-4 years, if you can afford it. Its absolutely possible that it will take this long.

My new (gaming) system meanwhile, with Win10 Pro, has given me more blue screens in 5 months than my XP and Win7 platforms alltogether in over ten years.
Old 04-03-18, 09:37 PM   #3
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0

Quote:
While Intel’s Radeon RX Vega (“Kaby Lake-G”) chip was designed to offer 1080p performance inside of something that approaches an ultrabook, the new 8th-gen Core i9 chips are designed for what Hamberger called “musclebooks,” offering the absolute best performance that you can get on a laptop.
I checked out the first link...

They specifically mention the (AMD) Vega GPU of the previous chip,
Quote:
...Intel’s Radeon RX Vega (“Kaby Lake-G”) ...
, but I didn't see anywhere that they say what the "new" chips use for video.

Then they switch to discussing -in length- how much faster the CPU is, which has little to do with video performance.

Unless the GPU is simply so far beyond the graphical load, that the only "bottle-neck" is how fast the CPU can feed it new data.

Which to those that understand how all of this stuff works, would seem to indicate that the "Kaby Lake G" CPU is the limitation that the _i9_ now fixes.

I see 4 possibilities for this:

1: The i9 uses a new GPU isn't as good as the Vega GPU.

2: The i9 uses the Vega GPU.

3: The i9 uses a better GPU.

4: The i9 uses a "discrete" (i.e. separate) video card, making the GPU choice of the Kaby Lake G irrelevant.

They could have just said something along the lines of "While the Kaby Lake-G chip was designed to offer 1080p performance...".... "The new i9...."

I really don't care what they do, put the info in, or leave it out...

Just do it for __BOTH__ CPUs.

Barracuda

P.S. I've been reading about these chips (Intel CPU/Vega GPU) since before they launched, as I read a few sites that are focused on the Linux kernel, and as a result of the drivers needing to "be there" before the hardware launches, I can tend to stay "with the curve" on new stuff.
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote