SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-11-17, 02:49 PM   #1
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300
Uploads: 0
Default Prevent Windows 10 from automatically rebooting for updates

With Windows 10 Microsoft decided it had to redefine the meaning of 'dominating the pc market'. It felt IT was the authority on when or whether your system has to reboot to apply updates. Sorry, my system, my call! Go away and pester Bill Gates or Balmer with this.

Here is a few simple steps to prevent this from occuring. You must do this while logged in as an administrator account. Doing this as normal user and elevating to administrator mode didn't work for me.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-p...alling-updates

Why I needed this? Here is the story.

Last week, after a loooong long time procrastinating I resurrected an old Silent Hunter 3 game install on my current laptop running Windows 10. This game was installed initially on Windows 7 three and a half years ago. I kept it as a backup all those years because it had a patrol going on with a large convoy in the vicinity. I didn't want to scrub it. Even despite migrating OS-ses via Windows 8, 8.1 to the various versions of Windows 10 over the years all the files and folders for it still survived unscathed. I was able to get it running again without any hassle (JSGME mods and SH3 Commander worked as wel un changed). It has been running stable and reliable for days and nights! Alt-tabbed in the background as I didn't want to save the game or move far away from the convoy so it deagregates (because of notorious save-game bugs). But just now, those Microsh.ts pulled the rug underneath from it. Watching tv I noticed in my peripheral vision that Windows rebooted for updates. No doubt just killing the game. That was it! No more mister nice guy. I rule my PC
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-17, 04:58 PM   #2
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I can't help you technically I hope some one can.

I was when I read the word automatically rebooting.

Because on my computer, if it need to reboot due to some update, a pop-up notice me that the computer need to reboot-and it doesn't do it before I click on reboot or cancel. And I have Win10 64 bit

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-17, 06:27 PM   #3
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Eventually a timer runs out and it does it anyway. It might take weeks.

And I don't need help. The steps described in the link have hopefully put an end to this garbage.

But there are some good points to it too. At least I can have a second attempt at assaulting a convoy and firing torpedoes that missed before.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-17, 03:59 PM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Tuning Windows 10 seems to compare to trying making a heap of baby poo-poo less smelly. For what it is worth:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3066...-meltdown.html

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3143...tolerable.html

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...rs-update.html

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...ike-a-pro.html

But when its brown, greasy and smelly, it remaisn to be baby poo-poo, no matter what spices you spill on it:

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...-and-more.html

In a few weeks I will have a new system for gaming exclusively, and then need to join the W10 trek os sacre, horror and nightmare. I must have lost my senses. I fear that even simpyl launching games is something that Microosft sooner or latert will mess up not just occaisoanlyl arter another messy upadte, but intentionally and frequently, so to make people use Xbox and games from their Windows app store exclusively.

If you want to get depressed and see the full list of shame about how crappy W10 is, check the long list of articles by Woody in here.

https://www.computerworld.com/author/Woody-Leonhard/

Pay special attention to the many many things that either do not work becasue they are buggy, or mess up things intentionally for MS calling it a "service".

Crap from A to Z.
Old 10-14-17, 10:39 PM   #5
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
...on my computer, if it need to reboot due to some update, a pop-up notice me that the computer need to reboot-and it doesn't do it before I click on reboot or cancel. And I have Win10 64 bit

Markus
Same here. Most updates don't even give me the pop-up. They just install when I manually reboot.

I was very reluctant to move to Win 10 because of all of the negative things I had read about it, but I've managed to get it to look and function almost exactly like Win 7 with a few tweaks and a program called Classic Shell. I even downloaded the old calculator (which I use quite often) because the new one had less functionality.

Honestly, I don't know what MS's plan is. It's like they're purposely screwing up everything anyone liked about XP and 7. Of course, they probably couldn't care less because of their virtual monopoly when it comes to compatibility of programs and systems. If everyone decided to start migrating to something else it would put pressure back on them to listen to their customers, but I'm not holding my breath until that happens. :/
Sean C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-17, 09:05 AM   #6
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel B. View Post
If everyone decided to start migrating to something else it would put pressure back on them to listen to their customers, but I'm not holding my breath until that happens. :/
Can't see it or see MS going to the wall, too big too powerful and rolling in bank loads of money. They will continual to be nasty and sloppy because they know their customer are....Well I let you folks make your minds up for that last bit.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote