SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-19-17, 05:46 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Taming the beast

It can be done, but it is a complex and somewhat daunting task. Also, you frequently have to invest time.

https://www.askwoody.com/2017/the-co...ows-telemetry/

https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topi...ows-telemetry/

For my W7, I used XP antispy, but a Beta for W10 and W8 is out as well, though I cannot comment on that tool. For W7, it works wonders.

http://xp-antispy.org/en/

Its old, but at least up to W7 still very potent. In how far the author still develops for W10, I do not know. The last beta is one year old. Possible that resignation has overwhelmed him.

As usual, I recommend to not have Windows Updates left "on", not even when reinstalling, just use a patch archive from DVD, SP1 or patches not later than summer 2015. When you install W7 new, do so without internet connection, switch off Windows update completely, run XP antispy and seal everything in reach - and not before then activate your Windows copy and allow internet access. Also, as usual, my warning that such a W7 system should only be used for the specific task you unavoidably need W7 for, game launching for example. Everything else (email, browsing, shopping, chatting, work, text, photo - EVERYTHING else should be done via a second, safer system without microsft or Google or license renting or Adobe stuff on it. I even load my steam wallet via a Linux laptop, and then use that in the Windows environment and Steam gaming - I do nto do any financial transaction and PIN-entering on my W7 system - the only think I must expose to a certain risk that I canot avoid, is my steam account. So the potential loss in case of worst case striking me, is limited. My steam accout holds no banking information (paypal), and I never have codes and info and logins saved on my hd, always manually log in, ALWAYS.

Same like above for my new smartphone. No personal data and no codes, no shopping and no banking done via Android smartphone. NEVER. Not even forum logins. All that is limited to my Linux system, without exception. The only thing personal on my smartphone, is my google playstore account login.

Last edited by Skybird; 05-19-17 at 06:01 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote