SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-05-13, 02:42 PM   #1
the_tyrant
Admiral

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0
Default Buying cable: understanding how not to get scammed

So one of my friends just got scammed by the cable scam again, and after screaming at him over Skype for a long time, I figure it might be a good idea to come here and explain the truth about cable.

Ok, so when it comes to cable, there are two common kinds of cable that you and I might come into contact with, analog and digital. Most of the cables you and I run into every day are digital, examples include HDMI, USB, Ethernet, Firewire, etc. Analog cables are much less common in consumer electronics, the most common kind that you and I will run into are speaker cables.

So what is the difference between digital and analog? Fundamentally, the difference comes down to, digital means that there are only two states, 1 and 0. There is either a signal or no signal. Analog on the other hand, is not just the existence of the signal, but also the intensity.

When it comes to digital cables, in MOST situations, there is absolutely no difference cable quality (I will discuss the situations when there is a difference). The cheap stuff works just as well as the super expensive stuff, the only real difference is the length and appearance. Let me repeat again, when it comes to cables like USB, Ethernet, and HDMI, there is absolutely no difference in performance AT ALL!.

There are 2 conditions where you would pay more for cable. The first kind is shielded cable. Shielded cables do help with the performance of the cable, but only in situations where there is a LOT of electronic noise. The second kind is the crawlspace cable. This is the kind of cable that is designed for the crawlspace. Cable designed for crawlspaces do not release toxic fumes when burned, and in some areas, you are legally required to use that kind of cable in crawlspaces.

When it comes to analog cables, yes there is a difference when it comes to cable quality. The only kind of analog cable that most of us will come into contact with is speaker cable. Ok, truth about speaker cable is, unless you have 3000$+ speakers, audio cable barely produces a difference. Also, the effect cables have on audio performance is tiny! If you have the money, spend it on things that have a big effect, like speakers and amps.

Rule of thumb when it comes to audio cables, bigger diameter is better. Bigger diameter cable > the gimmicks every single time. Also, connectors do matter, crappy connectors will kill the quality.

So in conclusion, don't get scammed by the audio cable cartel. Don't spend hundreds of dollars on monster cable, because I will laugh at you.