SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-16-13, 07:42 PM   #1
CaptainMattJ.
The Old Man

Downloads: 55
Uploads: 0
Default Got hit by some nasty ransomeware today...

as the title suggests i got hit by some ransomeware today. Shut down my computer and booted in safe mode and was wondering what programs specifically you guys would use to root the bugger out.

malwarebytes has me on edge after alot of people reported malwarebytes quarantining all of your windows system files, so i dont want to run that per say...

What should i do?

Edit: i booted in safe mode and ran malwarebytes (thankfully i havent updated it in like a month, skipped the update), it found 3 infected files, restarted and booted normally and ransomeware seems gone. Id run a bunch of followup scans but my computer is so bogged down that full scans take nearly 8 hours and render the computer incapable of gaming and scanning simultaneously, though i can still browse the internet ok. Ill run it tonight though. Hopefully it doesn't come back until then.

A popular Government without popular information nor the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy or perhaps both. Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own Governors must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives
- James Madison

Last edited by CaptainMattJ.; 04-16-13 at 09:04 PM.
CaptainMattJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-13, 09:14 PM   #2
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMattJ. View Post
as the title suggests i got hit by some ransomeware today. Shut down my computer and booted in safe mode and was wondering what programs specifically you guys would use to root the bugger out.

malwarebytes has me on edge after alot of people reported malwarebytes quarantining all of your windows system files, so i dont want to run that per say...

What should i do?

Edit: i booted in safe mode and ran malwarebytes (thankfully i havent updated it in like a month, skipped the update), it found 3 infected files, restarted and booted normally and ransomeware seems gone. Id run a bunch of followup scans but my computer is so bogged down that full scans take nearly 8 hours and render the computer incapable of gaming and scanning simultaneously, though i can still browse the internet ok. Ill run it tonight though. Hopefully it doesn't come back until then.

I've been using AVG Business 2013 on my computer. It's caught a few Trojans on my system. MSE never even suspected Trojans...

I see why people advise against MSE. I recommend AVG. If Malwarebytes fixed it...well...uninstall it anyway. Malwarebytes didn't work out for me. I like AVG better.
Old 04-17-13, 02:07 AM   #3
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Red - not all of these programs catch the same offenders, I'd recommend running on demand scans with an alternative to your AVG every now and again. Also something like Superantispyware to catch other stuff also. You'd be surprised at how different they are.

Matt - you can update your malwarebytes now. Use Cleaner to get rid of unwanted crap on your PC to create some space, then Defraggler to defrag, then scan again. And obviously you've backed up any important files.
Old 04-17-13, 03:45 AM   #4
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Since my PC at work caught one some time ago I did the following:

1.reboot PC and start in Safe-Mode
2.Use RKill to remove the rootkit of the ransomware.
3.Use stuff like Malwarebytes to get rid of the malware.
4.HitmanPro at the end of it to make sure no traces are left.
5.reboot PC.

HunterICX
Old 04-17-13, 07:20 AM   #5
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
Red - not all of these programs catch the same offenders, I'd recommend running on demand scans with an alternative to your AVG every now and again. Also something like Superantispyware to catch other stuff also. You'd be surprised at how different they are.
Thanks! AVG has been working great for me. I'll find something else to alternate with.