SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-18-13, 08:45 AM   #1
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81
Uploads: 0
Default New Build

Thinking about putting together a new PC.

I want core i7. I'm willing to drop the cash. I've always had middling machines, and I want a beast this time.

I'm digging through the i7 lists on newegg, and seeing different sockets. Some have graphics. I'm a little rusty on my builds, having not done one in a few years, explain the differences between i7 features please?

Comments on mobo's and power supplies wanted too.

And I'm going to go with a Nvidea Mobo and Gfx Card, as I've had good experiences with that combination in the past. Convince me otherwise if you see an issue. Recommendations on best bang/buck in Vcards? Leaning more towards bang. And I need multi screen support, so if I only get one vcard, it must have multiple ports.

Rounding it out, I'm thinking 8gb+ RAM, Win 7 64, C drive being >100gb SSD, 3tb+ D drive Raid 5, C drive may be Raid 0 Array for more speed, but only if theres enough SATA ports. Rest of the machine will be rounded out to my personal likes, as I have some hardware pieces that I always use. Going into a semi-full tower.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-13, 09:02 AM   #2
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Ok, not seeing Nvidea as a mobo manufacturer any more.... hmmm....

Old 03-19-13, 07:25 AM   #3
longam
Admiral

Downloads: 26

Try ASUS
longam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-13, 10:13 AM   #4
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

As far as I know Nvidia has no chipsets compatible with an i-series CPU. To be honest I always got the impression they were rather poor anyway.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-13, 08:48 PM   #5
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658

I've heard from another SubSim member that Windows 8 is great for installing and running computer games. Much better and easier than Windows 7.

nVidia gfx cards should run just fine with an i7 cpu. Can't be much different that running an i5 and an older Zotax 8800GT 1GB card. I've had no problems and will be upgrading to an i7 cpu real soon.

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-13, 03:42 AM   #6
antikristuseke
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 3

Opinion on windows 8 is divided to say the least, I wouldn't use it for toilet paper yet some others swear by it.

Moving on now to motherboards ASUS provides a quality product, have used their mobos in several builds, also have had good luck with MSI and some Gigabytes, though lately Gigabytes have had problems with VRM cooling on some models. As for which chipset Intels Z77 based boards seem to make sense.

Graphics wise I would probably go for a GTX 670 at the moment, up to 3 monitors should be fine. If however you want up to 6 monitor some ridiculously expensive 7970 model would do the trick, havnet looked into if Nvidia can do more than 3 at the same time, too lazy to start.

given how cheap DDR3 is you might as well grad 4x1600mhz sticks with tight timings from gSkill, ocz, patrior or other reputable producer, 8 or 16 wont really make a dent in the final price of the machien and having too much ram is pretty much an impossibility.

For hard drives I have used Seagate drives for the most part and haven't had one fail on me yet, though that is pure luck, recently also have Western Digital in some of my builds, but other than those two manufacturers havent got the experience to recommend anyone else. SSD wise both Intel and OCZ ae struck me as being dependable. though if you can budget it, you may want to look at enterprise segment drives instead of consumer ones.

Power supplies are fairly easy to pick as there are several reputable manufacturers on the market, Chieftec, Thermaltake, OCZ to name a few, just be sure to get one with a modular design and ennough current on the 12v rail/rails and you will be golden.
antikristuseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-13, 09:25 AM   #7
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Looking around so far, (I lost my newegg wish list , so no exact part names):

I'm looking at a gigabyte mobo, 8 Ram slots, more USB slots than I can count (Which is actually a big thing for me), esata slot, integrated 5.1, etc. About $250 though, but as I said, I'm building a beast.

HDD's, Im never going to use anything other than WD again, unless of course they turn to crap. I've had HDs of others fail to off often. Had gotten bargain deals on 3 1tb drives for my last raid 5, and well... the second one failed before I had a proper chance to diagnose the first one. Hence new machine.

GfX, I'm a neophyte. Gotta do some research.

As for a case, I'm almost thinking about doing a custom fab build. Using Brushed and polished Titanium Plate and Sheet. Retail it would probably be around $500-$700 for the case. But I can probably do it my self for <$100. Only cost me about $30 in Ti (I work in a Ti fab shop now). Nice thing about Titanium, it doesn't tarnish.

Old 03-21-13, 09:37 PM   #8
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658

Take a look on www.PriceWatch.com. Usually there's some pretty good deals on all kinds of computer parts and hardware.

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote