SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-02-13, 02:06 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default In numbers - disaster for Microsoft unfolding

A German article, I just pick the key message of it:

Even the massive rebate granted for Windows 8, has not helped it to even leave the starting blocks. Business is extremely antipathic to it, And Acer and Fujitsu are quoted to complain about massive drops in sales of notebooks and computers due to the W8 installed. Net Application Services says that W8 currently has a market share of 1.7% only. In Germany, the pendant service by Webtrekk shows that it has a market share in Germany of only 0.56%. Surprisingly, even on the smartphone and tablet market W8 could not score so far, but performs even worse than on the notebook and OEM market.

For comparison: Windows 7 had already 6% of market shares after the iuntiial 2 months, and then saw a rocket-boosted steep climb.

I like this news, preidcted this news, I applaud and celebrate this news! To hell with W8. I hope the shockwave that currently blasts into Microsoft's face leaves them in paralysis for longer time to come. I still think that W8 has the potential to become a much more serious debacle for MS than Vista was. And they deserve it for their arrogance and imperial habitus towards those they expect to even pay them for this crap.

If they do not learn the message this time, than they never will learn it: you do not force your wanted profit-stuff down your customers' throats, but you better deliver customers what since long time they again and again recommend, advise and ask you for. Keep the good things and do not abandon them just for the sake of re-inventing a rounder wheel.

The chance that Linus now will be pushed even more for by heavyweights like Steam and others, have grown. This could push Microsoft so much on the defence that they simply cannot afford anymore customer-hostile projects like W8.

Future looks better for PC users now! I hoped for a belly landing of W8 since the first feature list and policy description I stumbled over, with the policy intention behind it having worried me even more than the incredibly stupid interface (for a keyboard+ mouse setting). So do not be envious if I take quite some joy from this bad news for MS! I do not laugh about you, but about Microsoft. As we say in German: wer den Schaden hat, spottet jeder Beschreibung.
Old 01-02-13, 02:39 PM   #2
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

I agree with Sky.

For Metro to be applied to a non-touchscreen laptop or desktop was ridiculous, I know there are ways around it but the majority of PC users out there (I'm guessing) don't like changing things such as the registry and don't want to pay for a service to do it for them -and why should they?

What's really got my M$ goat recently is their latest version of autoroute isn't compatible with W7, but the previous one is.

Hopefully this is the kick up the arse they need.

Last edited by Herr-Berbunch; 03-26-13 at 10:22 AM.
Herr-Berbunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-13, 04:24 PM   #3
the_tyrant
Admiral

Downloads: 58

What the hell do you expect? Major organizations like my school board are still rolling out windows 7 (and to think the guys in the graphics design class were still using vista until this 2013......)

And if we really want to debate, in the same article where Fujitsu complained, about bad PC sales (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-1...pe-slumps.html) Michael Dell was very happy:

Quote:
Dell Inc. (DELL), the world’s third-largest PC maker, said Dec. 12 it’s seeing strong demand for computers and tablets running Windows 8. Interest in the operating system is “quite high,” Dell Chief Executive Officer Michael Dell said at a conference in Austin, Texas.

1.7% is a pretty healthy number for a new Operating system that has just been released for 2 months, arguably doing better than Xp and Vista did 1-3 months after release. Windows 7 was an oddball, because Windows Vista was bad, that is why they got so many upgrades. But than, windows 7 was good, so why would people rush to upgrade?

In fact, in December, Microsoft is doing GREAT! they managed to attack OS X's market share, reducing it by 3%. (OS X originally had 7.3%, now they have 7.03%)

The Windows Store (something that people like Newell predicted will fail) is on a roll, around 40000 Metro applications have been released. Already arguably higher than the number of Tablet optimized android programs.

I am willing to predict that by the end of 2013, Windows 8 is going to have 15% +.

PS: regarding fujitsu:
I am a highly satisfied customer, been using their stuff since Windows XP tablet edition. However, their windows 8 portfolio is a joke. The fact that they are blaming windows 8 for their poor market performance is a joke.

Hell, they are still trying to sell tablets with windows 7 on it! How can they blame windows 8 when THEY HAVE NO WINDOWS 8 DEVICES? I was on the Fujitsu Canada site earlier, they released not a single new windows 8 computer! Every one of their designs were for windows 7, and almost every single one of they allowed you to choose between the two versions of windows. In fact, I can even argue that their poor performance is because of windows 8.

If we look at the 3 biggest improvements of windows 8 for non touchscreen mainstream users, (hi DPI support, multitouch touchpad support, new sleep mode/battery management). Fujitsu only has computers taking advantage of one of them.

Their flagship still uses a low res screen, their touchpads still feel like they are from the vista era. Compared to the competition (the Dell XPS 12 has a beautiful screen, the Lenovo Thinkpad Carbon X1 has a great touchpad), its no wonder that they are seriously lagging behind.
Old 01-02-13, 04:38 PM   #4
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Microsoft...failing? But...where will I get my Halo NOOOOOOOOOW!?
Old 01-02-13, 05:37 PM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

I have bought just weeks abo a Fujitsu notebook for my mother, with Windows 7. Perfect. I recommended to buy it now before the market has no notebooks with W7 in the wanted pricerange anymore. And indeed, in that price segment sufficient for my mother, the supply has run thin.

If I would find my sales numbers for W8 being in the cellar, I would focus on compensating that by pushing the sales for W7, too.

Dell has reported hurting losses in market shares in 2012 and already 2011, or analysts found that and reported it, i forgot which way it was. However, it explains why they are boasting with this amount of opportune optimism - it is their strategy to try stopping the trend. I doubt that reality backs them. Nokia was reporting "success!" in many in years when it already was in steep decline...

With prices going steeply upwards for W8 soon, the trend will not become better for MS. So far they have given it away almost for free... All people trying it because it was "free" (=very cheap), will then drop out of the statistics.

I personally know three people who tried W8. They all have abandoned it, cursing over the work they unloaded on themselves all for nothing...

Gamers will not follow it in large numbers. And business and office world will not, too. The chief designer of W8 "voluntarily was left" by MS, meanwhile - and soon after release. Possible that the air becomes very thin for Balmer, too.

What surprises me really is that the acceptance for phones and tablets is found to be extremely limited and far beyond expectations, too. Must be the lousy ergonomy.
Old 02-09-13, 06:41 AM   #6
Wolferz
Navy Seal

Downloads: 52
Please W8

Please W8 seems to be the predominent M$ tag line. We've been waiting a long time... and still we wait.
I noticed an odd rumor going around the truck stops on the cyber highway not too long ago...
Some guy in a chat room who claimed to be a time traveler who came back in time to find an old copy of DOS. WOT!?
He said he used a time machine that was invented and manufactured by General Electric and had it mounted in the floorboard of an old pick up truck. After witnessing the current trend in microprocessor driven devices, the story is becoming more plausible by the day. W8 seems to also add truth to this claim. The future of computing may have a dismal outlook if any of that is actually true. I can see it, since the federal government slapped the patent cuffs on Nikolai Tesla's research and hid it all away because there's no money to be made in free wireless energy and time travel has it's own inherent dangers. So does teleportation... to the auto makers and the airlines.

Tomorrow never comes
Wolferz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 08:39 AM   #7
HundertzehnGustav
Sea Lord

Downloads: 66

Its a bit early to say thumbs up or down.

8 offers no advantages over 7 to big buisnesses.
even small businesses with 50-50 PCs, in the segment i work for, are requesting W7 when offered Both.
The decision is FIRMER by those small business Bosses that have some kind of W8 experience. (private laptops?)
The businesses that have no W8 experience are hesitating.

The hardware manufacturers are doing their subtle spin too.
Lenovo ships iut Small 15"" Laptoops with a Win8 Licence and a W7 Image on it.

Sure, the W8 recovery media are in the box...
But the laptop has no DVD drive!

I was thinking "lenovo fail" first, but i can see the message now...
"for the sake of your own soul, use the Win7 we provide!!!"
Them dudes rock!

Big Businesses prefer stably working machines instead of funky gaming devices, can not afford to support the ongoing development of a all-size-fits-all platform that Win8 aims to be.

all the gimmicks and changes offer no ergonomic advantage, since with win7 i have learned to type iexplorer www.subsim.com or outlook or word instead of clicking buttons. That whole metro thing, when i tried... was utterly useless.

and do not get me started on using the gui to shut down the windows.

LOL?

For me?
W8 is another Vista.
W7 is here to stay.
Old 02-09-13, 08:45 AM   #8
longam
Admiral

Downloads: 26

The internets sure is a strange place sometimes.
longam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-13, 06:00 AM   #9
Wolferz
Navy Seal

Downloads: 52
Tip of the iceberg?

Is W8 the beginnings of a Microsloth bid to corner the cloud computing market? By strong arming the hardware makers into using W8 on their products... Sure, ship a back up disc but don't provide an optical drive to utilise it and the consumer will be our prisoner.

Where can I get a copy of DOS?

Tomorrow never comes
Wolferz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-13, 10:09 AM   #10
Skybird
Soaring

First it was Acer and Fujitsu, now Samsung added to the chorus of heavy criticism of notebook producers who attack Windows 8 and refer to customers complaining about it. I read that Samsung now has pulled the emergency brake and has stopped the production of notebooks with preinstalled Winowds 8, since customers filed too many complaints about it and reinstall Windows 7 anyway. The demand of notebooks with preinstalled windows 7 is high, on the other hand.

Having overheared a talk between two salkesman in an electrionic chain shop earlier this month, I hgeared them saying that this damn Windows 8 crap is laying like lead on the shelves. Joining them I asked how the demand for Win8 OS is and how it compares to Win 7. They admitted that the sales of Windows 8 is a disaster and that the demand for Windows 7 has "exploded" since the cheap price-action for the erarly release of Windows 8 had run out.

The shop I talk of is Mediamarkt - the biggest electronic chain in Europe.

The MS-made tablet that was launched along with Windows 8, also does not good. Sales are far behind expectations. Again, not os much the - mediocre - hardware is quoted to be the reason, but the OS.

Microsoft meanwhile leaked a copy of the next OS generation, named Blue. By the first look of it they have not learned anything so far. That, or arrogance has become the only lead principle of their work by now.
Old 03-26-13, 10:24 AM   #11
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Microsoft meanwhile leaked a copy of the next OS generation, named Blue. By the first look of it they have not learned anything so far. That, or arrogance has become the only lead principle of their work by now.
That should be Windows 8.5 then, as 9 is due to be a cracker.
Old 04-11-13, 12:12 PM   #12
Skybird
Soaring

Market analyser IDC finds PC sales declining by 14% in first quarter due to Windows 8 not being accepted by customers. It'S the biggest drop in sales they ever found since the began their work in 1994.

The drop is linked to Windows 8, not to tablets putting PCs under pressure.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22105322

Old 04-16-13, 06:41 PM   #13
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658

Windows 8 is actually meant for tablets and cellphones, and wasn't really meant to be used in computers. The only reason it was pushed to computers is because of the new monitor technologly that lets you use your fingers on the screen to do what the mouse and keyboard does. That was told to me by a MS employee in the MS store here at our local Mall. And in the same breathe he said MS is working on Windows 9. Could this end up being another Vista fiasco?

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-13, 09:16 PM   #14
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermat47 View Post
Microsoft...failing? But...where will I get my Halo NOOOOOOOOOW!?
Microsoft publishes Halo...

343 Industries is.....wait a minute.....

Microsoft is EVERYWHERE
Old 04-17-13, 07:24 AM   #15
longam
Admiral

Downloads: 26

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20347...rt-button.html

Microsoft’s next update to its flagship operating system is codenamed “Windows Blue,” or “Windows 8.1,” and is anticipated for release later this year. Rumors began circulating today that Windows Blue will reintroduce the classic Start Button that every version of the OS prior to Windows 8 featured.
longam is offline   Reply With Quote